Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Understanding the Source Code (or trying to)
05-21-2014, 04:54 PM (This post was last modified: 05-21-2014 05:01 PM by mtmarco.)
RE: Understanding the Source Code (or trying to)
Fantastic. Thank you very very much unknown... all this was really enlightening.
I'll try to concentrate into Core/HLE modules, GPU_GLES, GPUCommon and try to understand something more.

My lack is that I don't have knowledge of low level SCE Kernel instructions, of low psp mips architecture, so I can't understand what each address stands for.

You've got some reference? Reversed games via real psp itself? or was enough yourself experience?

I think basically we'll get from kernel/firmware execution and elf reading/relocation about 3 main type of instructions: input controls polling, display rendering, audio rendering.... obviously there will be also power management, wi-fi management, and something else.

In the HLE/sceGe sceDisplay i think we manage display rendering. But there we are already in the part where we know the function to trigger, because if i've understood something you said that relocation is done in Core/ELF, triggered in Core/HLE/sceKernelModule, Core/MIPS.

Ok now i'll read the code. Excuse me for all these questions... i'm trying to get into this complex thing.

(05-21-2014 02:04 AM)[Unknown] Wrote:  
(05-20-2014 10:13 AM)mtmarco Wrote:  and also i have a snapdragon 800 smartphone with GLES 3 adreno 330 gpu (samsung galaxy Note 3), with not so high performance as expected with ppsspp on android, and so i want to see also this...

Well, it might be useful to profile your device to see why it does not have good performance. My phone does not even support GLES3 and is Adreno as well, and I get okay performance. I know that larger screen resolution has a big impact (try e.g. "small display" to see if this is a problem.) But, different games have different issues.

-[Unknown]

I would not say that i'm getting bad performance... but not so so powerful as i would expect with the at this time best performing smartphone, 2.3ghz x4 snapdragon 801 cpu, 330 adreno es 3.0.... ok i'm not expecting the performance of my i7 x4 notebook with nvidia 650gt m, but for some games i think something more.

Obviously i've tested same games on Galaxy S2 (exynos 4210, 1.2 GHz dual-core ARM Cortex-A9 with Mali 400 gpu), Galaxy Note 3 (quad snapdragon 801), notebook i7 3630-qm 2.4ghz-3.3ghz tb/gt650m nvidia gpu.
I can say obviously the notebook has beaten on all games the android smartphones, getting Always from the same to very higher performance (obviously if on the phones i managed to get smooth graphics with all off or some hacks and many lowered settings, on pc i could max everything from anisotropic filter to each optimization, fxaa filters etc); the strange is that on some games i've got same performance on galxy s2 and galaxy note 3 (as on obscure), while on some other title (resistance) i've got very different speeds, but the same unplayability on both the devices.

God of war runs very smooth on PC, on note 3 you get a decent fluidity only with a bunch of hacks, clocking to 45 mhz, and with non buffered rendering (losing many effects).

That's what I mean with not so high performance... i think probably we can get something, also a bit more from those devices... not so much.... obviously comparing to an i7+nv gpu isn't a logical comparation, but between the two smartphones (3 year of distance) i thought a more effective difference.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Understanding the Source Code (or trying to) - mtmarco - 05-21-2014 04:54 PM