Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
FonePad 7 vs Dell Venue 8 Pro
05-14-2014, 02:38 AM (This post was last modified: 05-14-2014 12:29 PM by AlienW.)
FonePad 7 vs Dell Venue 8 Pro
Greetings from Brazil. I just joined the forum today. I am a massive fan of PSX and PSP and firstly, let me commend you on the work you have done so far. You guys truly rock!!

I read somewhere on this forum that the ppsspp has better support/ runs better on x86. And so after a few hours of internet research, I have found two suitable candidates. I realize that this has been asked before and that some games might not run at all. But I want someone who has these ones at hand to give me some feedback, perhaps recommend a different one. I also read that an ARM cortex A9 is supposed to run ppsspp well, I have had trouble finding a phone with this that doesn't cost too much.

The Asus FonePad 7:
7 inch screen (does it matter?)
Android x86 4.3
1.6 GHz Intel ®Atom™ Z2560 dual-core with HT
1GB of RAM (only)
PowerVR SGX544
* other bells and whistles

The Dell Venue 8 Pro:
8 inch screen (better or no?)
Windows 8.1 pro
1.8 GHz Intel ®Atom™ Z3740 quad-core with HT
2GB of RAM
Intel HD graphics Generation 7 (Open GL 4.0)
* other bells and whistles

So, according to my research, ppsspp uses only a single core (unless I have read outdated posts). This means that the major difference is whether to use a 1GB Ram & Power VR android .apk or a 2GB RAM & HD graphics' .exe

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for reading this post Smile

Edit: I did some of the donkey work. According to a Japanese website that I can't post here, this is what I found:

Name of device. Name of GPU. Clock Speed. GFlops
PSP. R4000 x 2 333MHz 2.6

Power VR SGX544 Various 156-450MHz 4.9-14.4 (depending on type of GPU)

Intel HD Gen 7 22nm Bay trail 667MHz 42.7

So, does this mean that the Dell Venue 8 Pro running the .exe will be a better choice??
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-14-2014, 12:30 PM
RE: FonePad 7 vs Dell Venue 8 Pro
Pump, edited.
05-19-2014, 03:31 PM
Well , definitely Dell Venue 8 Pro is better when it comes to emulating PPSSPP ! The Intel HD Graphics are 5 times better than that of SGX on Fonepad .. The Dell Venue 8 Pro runs windows 8.1 while Fonepad runs android , as you might have read that PPSSPP runs smoother on windows as compared to android .. Fonepad will barely play some of the games at full speed while it will struggle to get god fps on a lot of games , especially the high demanding gamed like God Of War and Crysis Core Final Fantasy! On the other hand Dell Venue 8 Pro having 1.8 GHZ Quad core processor will run almost every game at 100% speed without fps drops , its because the CPU , GPU and OS is a lot better than the dual core Fonepad. A friend of mine just tested some pcsx2 games on Dell venue 8 PRO (Kingdom hearts and maximo ghost to glory ) , he said he was even getting full speed in those games! No doubt , Dell Venue 8 PRO is a lit better choice Smile

The Signature!
05-20-2014, 02:34 PM (This post was last modified: 05-20-2014 03:13 PM by vnctdj.)
In my opinion if you want a tablet only to play psp games i thing you should buy a psp instead, they are really cheap these days. ([Censored])
However if you want something for other emulators aswell and some less-demanding games, i say get the dell venue 8 pro.(Since it runs windows8 you can use Steam Smile )

Edit by vnctdj : Piracy is not allowed on our forum, please respect the rules.