Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Linear texture filtering problem with later versions
05-12-2014, 06:00 PM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2014 06:06 PM by Nightquaker.)
Question Linear texture filtering problem with later versions
Hello there :3
I've been noticing the problem with linear texture filtering in versions past ~0.9.1. It seems to be alot less precise in later versions.
As you can see on these comparison screenshots, interface looks alot smoother on screenshot from version 0.9.1 compared to one from 0.9.8, and that happens with almost all games.
I've used exactly same settings on both versions of emulator with texture filtering set to linear without using the texture scaling.
Forementioned screenshots:
Crisis Core FFVII
0.9.1 [Image: hKEMUNw.png]
0.9.8 [Image: Yu9ke1z.png]
Ace Combat X: Skies of Deception
0.9.1 [Image: Up5zTkk.png] (notice how smooth fonts are)
0.9.8 [Image: 6Ub8cQX.png]

Take Imgur image compression into account, which makes differences a little less noticeable than they really are, but you can still see them.

Is there a way to improve the linear filtering on latest version without relying on texture scaling that makes font corners very rounded?

My specs:
Phenom X3 8450 ~2.3GHz
PowerColor HD6850 1GB
4 gigs of DDR2-800 RAM
~400GB HDD
Windows 8.0 x64
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-12-2014, 06:49 PM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2014 06:56 PM by solarmystic.)
RE: Linear texture filtering problem with later versions
@Nightquaker
This is a known issue, and I've already noted it for another affected game (Tekken 6) on the github 6 months ago here.

The short of it is that Linear Filtering has been broken for certain games since a certain commit.

The responsible commit is this one merged into master with v0.9.1-2045-ga3f2fcf.

If you have compiling abilities, you can resolve it by changing the following line of code located in GPU/GLES/TextureCache.cpp at line 524 from

Code:
if ((g_Config.iTexFiltering == LINEAR || (g_Config.iTexFiltering == LINEARFMV && g_iNumVideos)) && !gstate.isColorTestEnabled() && !gstate.isAlphaTestEnabled()) {

to

Code:
if ((g_Config.iTexFiltering == LINEAR || (g_Config.iTexFiltering == LINEARFMV && g_iNumVideos)) && !gstate.isColorTestEnabled()) {

which effectively reverts that commit back to the previous one before it for that file.

PPSSPP Modern Testbed:-
Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.0 GHz
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 760 2GB GDDR5 VRAM @ 1138/6500 Mhz
16 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1600 MHz
Windows 7 x64 SP1

PPSSPP Ancient Testing Rig:-
Intel Core 2 Duo T9550 @ 2.8GHz
ATI Mobility Radeon 4670 1GB GDDR3 VRAM @ 843/882 MHz
8 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1066 MHz
Windows 7 x64 SP1
05-12-2014, 06:53 PM (This post was last modified: 05-12-2014 06:56 PM by Nightquaker.)
RE: Linear texture filtering problem with later versions
(05-12-2014 06:49 PM)solarmystic Wrote:  @Nightquaker
This is a known issue, and I've already noted it for another affected game (Tekken 6) on the github 6 months ago here.

The responsible commit is this one merged into master with v0.9.1-2045-ga3f2fcf.

If you have compiling abilities, you can resolve it by changing the following line of code located in GPU/GLES/TextureCache.cpp from

Code:
if ((g_Config.iTexFiltering == LINEAR || (g_Config.iTexFiltering == LINEARFMV && g_iNumVideos)) && !gstate.isColorTestEnabled() && !gstate.isAlphaTestEnabled()) {

to

Code:
if ((g_Config.iTexFiltering == LINEAR || (g_Config.iTexFiltering == LINEARFMV && g_iNumVideos)) && !gstate.isColorTestEnabled()) {

I've also seen that issue being mentioned before and I'm mainly bothered by it pixelating UI elements and such, rather than FMVs.
I'll try to compile the build and intergrate the forementioned fix, but I can't in any way be sure that I'll be able to do that.
I'm also wondering why such a simple fix wasn't integrated already in current versions as that issue persists for a really long period of time now.

My specs:
Phenom X3 8450 ~2.3GHz
PowerColor HD6850 1GB
4 gigs of DDR2-800 RAM
~400GB HDD
Windows 8.0 x64