Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Sounds and Audio [Windows]
03-23-2014, 02:46 AM
Sounds and Audio [Windows]
Hiya;

I've looked through some threads using the search function and found someone had the same question as me, but was never answered, so I figured I'd ask again, just in case this is now solved.

Since hearing about this emulator a year ago, I've been downloading nearly every iteration in hopes of certain fixes. The first one being the no-text display in FFIV on AMD cards. That fix has come and gone and I'm forever thankful it's fixed! But I'm having the same problem with my audio and it doesn't seem to get any better or any worse, maybe someone here could help me?

This happens in nearly every game, but most predominately, in Final Fantasy 1. During most loading screens, or if not loading, transitioning screens, between world map and battle, to the Square-Enix logo on start up to the "Press Start" main menu, the music and sound starts POPPING and CRACKLING. If the screen is still and I'm not navigating menus or moving my character on the main map, the crackling/popping doesn't exist. This only happens when the frames are changing. This occurs in, like I said, most games, but it seems to be at it's worst in FF1 and FFTactics.

Any ideas on a fix? I've seemed to look everywhere for a fix, if there is one, and I have tried SO MANY different configurations.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-23-2014, 05:11 AM (This post was last modified: 03-23-2014 05:12 AM by the_randomizer.)
RE: Sounds and Audio [Windows]
You're referring to transitional things right? Like going from one room or another, or entering/exiting a menu (like a save menu) and you hear popping? If it's what I think it is, I should be able to use FRAPS and record a video.

CPU - Intel Core i5 3570 3.4/3.8 GHz (Turbo Boost)
GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 660 2 GB GDDR5
RAM - 8 GB DDR3 SDRAM 1333
OS - Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
HDD - 1 TB Western Digital 7200 RPM
03-23-2014, 12:30 PM
Is your problem similar to this one ?

♦ Intel Core i7-6700HQ | 16 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M | Debian Testing
♦ Intel Core i7-2630QM | 4 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M | Debian Testing
♦ PSP-3004 | 6.60 PRO-C2
03-23-2014, 01:02 PM (This post was last modified: 03-23-2014 01:14 PM by xethate.)
(03-23-2014 12:30 PM)vnctdj Wrote:  Is your problem similar to this one ?

Yes, just like that, albeit, happens much much more often. It does seem to be mostly transitional, as the_randomizer has said, going from one room to another (or in FF1's case, world map to town amongst others) but also when I'm just walking on the world map, it does the same thing every few steps.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure my specs have nothing to do with what is going on, but I thought I'd post them just in case:

Core i5 750 2.66Ghz
6GB DDR3 RAM
HD Radeon 5770 1GB
Windows 8 Pro 64-bit

As for sound, have tried many variations (none work to fix the issue) but I'm on 24 bit, 44100 Hz (Studio Quality)
03-23-2014, 04:57 PM (This post was last modified: 03-23-2014 05:15 PM by TheDax.)
I just recorded a video and uploaded it to Youtube for everyone to see exactly what I am talking about.

You can notice the crackling and popping early on in the video but the prime example is the last few seconds, starting at 0:37 onward.
I did notice, in FRAPS, that whenever this happens, my FPS dropped from 60FPS constant to 50-55FPS, and it would fix itself after climbing back to 60FPS, if that is any help.

EDIT: I'm not allowed to post links, so I had to exclude the HTTP
EDIT2: While I didn't record everything, when I go north on the map, in which the terrain is loading to be in view, also does this, which if I'm exploring the world map, can be quite bothersome as it'll just crackle and pop constantly.
03-23-2014, 05:10 PM (This post was last modified: 03-23-2014 05:10 PM by TheDax.)
Went ahead and made that into an embedded video for you. Smile

Edit: Oh, you disabled embedding.

4GHz AMD 3900X, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 6GB Nvidia RTX 2060, Asus Crosshair 7 Hero (Wifi), Linux
How to ask useful questions: https://web.archive.org/web/20110214010944/http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
I'm not Dark_Alex, nor do I claim to be. Our nicknames are merely coincidence.
03-23-2014, 05:13 PM
(03-23-2014 05:10 PM)TheDax Wrote:  Went ahead and made that into an embedded video for you. Smile

Edit: Oh, you disabled embedding.

Sorry, just enabled, and thank you Smile
03-30-2014, 12:21 PM
Just to let you know, I get the same problem as you where the audio crackles or pops during "transitions" or loading as well.

Hope to see a solution for this soon.
05-06-2014, 02:29 PM
(03-23-2014 04:57 PM)xethate Wrote:  I just recorded a video and uploaded it to Youtube for everyone to see exactly what I am talking about.

You can notice the crackling and popping early on in the video but the prime example is the last few seconds, starting at 0:37 onward.
I did notice, in FRAPS, that whenever this happens, my FPS dropped from 60FPS constant to 50-55FPS, and it would fix itself after climbing back to 60FPS, if that is any help.

EDIT2: While I didn't record everything, when I go north on the map, in which the terrain is loading to be in view, also does this, which if I'm exploring the world map, can be quite bothersome as it'll just crackle and pop constantly.

Dude I'm playing Persona 3P right now and experiencing the same issue. Is there any resolution out yet? This thread is quite old and there is no answer to be found on internet.
06-09-2014, 12:27 PM
(05-06-2014 02:29 PM)psymants Wrote:  
(03-23-2014 04:57 PM)xethate Wrote:  I just recorded a video and uploaded it to Youtube for everyone to see exactly what I am talking about.

Dude I'm playing Persona 3P right now and experiencing the same issue. Is there any resolution out yet? This thread is quite old and there is no answer to be found on internet.

Sadly, nothing yet Sad
06-10-2014, 06:35 PM
well so for me changing buffering mode in most cases LOWER the choppy sound effect but its still there

on some buffering modes it works better on other well not very well but its different for every game

Try AntiMicro graphical program used to map keyboard keys and mouse controls to a gamepad/controller.
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=12513
or http://www.x360ce.com
06-10-2014, 08:02 PM (This post was last modified: 06-10-2014 08:03 PM by barbanium.)
For me, the only cracking sound I hear is when the battle is about to start (in the video, it's at 0:29).
Other than that, everything's smooth when it comes to the sound aspect. Big Grin

xethate, are you sure it's not because of the recording software you're using?

By the way, when the game's trying to load the overworld, black horizontal lines appear.

EDIT: tested in PPSSPP Gold 0.9.8 Wink

WATCH MY MHFU GAMEPLAY VIDS AT: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheBarbanium
Have I been helpful to you in any way, nya?
You can click that "+" button ▼ to raise my reputation, meow!
06-23-2014, 11:34 AM
(06-10-2014 08:02 PM)barbanium Wrote:  For me, the only cracking sound I hear is when the battle is about to start (in the video, it's at 0:29).
Other than that, everything's smooth when it comes to the sound aspect. Big Grin

xethate, are you sure it's not because of the recording software you're using?

By the way, when the game's trying to load the overworld, black horizontal lines appear.

EDIT: tested in PPSSPP Gold 0.9.8 Wink

Nah, it's been doing it for a bit, long before I installed FRAPS to record it for the above video. The only thing I have going for me, is hints here and there that the PPSSPP emulator works better with NVIDIA cards and not this AMD GPU I have. I remember with JCPSP I couldn't read any texts in a few games due to my AMD card, until a fix came out, but this was a year+ later. I'm not sure, I could be pulling all this out of my ass but I'm pretty lost on this subject and have no idea why it's lagging for sound on multiple games.
06-23-2014, 04:09 PM
I'm using AMD GPU myself. Tongue

Specifically, AMD Radeon HD 7660D Big Grin

WATCH MY MHFU GAMEPLAY VIDS AT: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheBarbanium
Have I been helpful to you in any way, nya?
You can click that "+" button ▼ to raise my reputation, meow!
08-06-2014, 11:46 AM
[UPDATE] I just wanted to let you guys know that the new 0.9.9 has totally fixed every sound issue I have had in any game. All the games I play are now fully playable on my specs, thank you all for the help and the continuation of this project!