Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Where are the old ppsspp dev builds
03-16-2014, 12:51 AM
Where are the old ppsspp dev builds
Since last month,old builds are now gone and as a new build is released,an old build disappears.

Now,it is impossible for me to test if a bug in a current build existed in an old build.But then again ,I may just be lost
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-16-2014, 01:45 AM (This post was last modified: 03-16-2014 01:45 AM by LunaMoo.)
RE: Where are the old ppsspp dev builds
You can always build it yourself using this detailed guide for windows or brief build instructions for other os's. There are also few older builds like 0.9.5/6 on the download page.

The reason why there's no more older builds is very simple, Orphis probably deleted them, he provides buildbot free of charge for many different emulators and from time to time has to delete older builds of very active projects to keep it going.

BTW if you're the same mckimiaklopa that spams github about "MT issue" for satan's sake or whatever god you belive in, this is not a bug so if this is what you need to test older builds for, then forget it. Your device is bottlenecked by weak gpu, same would happen when you would try to run heavy pc game like BF4 on typical office pc aka decent cpu + integrated gpu.

http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=6594 - Custom PPSSPP Shaders!
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=3590&pid=117172#pid117172 - simple CE scripts to help creating CWCheats,
https://github.com/LunaMoo/PPSSPP_workarounds - CWCheat workarounds.
03-16-2014, 03:40 AM (This post was last modified: 03-16-2014 04:02 AM by mckimiaklopa.)
(03-16-2014 01:45 AM)LunaMoo Wrote:  You can always build it yourself using this detailed guide for windows or brief build instructions for other os's. There are also few older builds like 0.9.5/6 on the download page.

The reason why there's no more older builds is very simple, Orphis probably deleted them, he provides buildbot free of charge for many different emulators and from time to time has to delete older builds of very active projects to keep it going.

BTW if you're the same mckimiaklopa that spams github about "MT issue" for satan's sake or whatever god you belive in, this is not a bug so if this is what you need to test older builds for, then forget it. Your device is bottlenecked by weak gpu, same would happen when you would try to run heavy pc game like BF4 on typical office pc aka decent cpu + integrated gpu.

Yeah I know,I already gave up on the MT issue thingy since the speed ppsspp gives is already pretty decent(whoa,looks like I have done too much bad to ppsspp.I feel like im an immaturely worthless spoiled piece of a trash can's beneath.Needless to say,I'm sorry :-) .Peace ;-b ).Anyways,I was just wondering since last month if the old builds could still be accessible.
Thank you by the way
03-16-2014, 06:47 AM
You're welcome.

And it's not as bad;p. Most irritating part is that in the end you still couldn't think about it properly. ;]
Maybe you're confusing multi-threading with forcing to run the program on X cores. That doesn't happen, even if you get more threads, it's OS job to manage them, it doesn't have to put them on different cores if it feels it'll not have any benefit from doing so, and cpu cannot just help gpu to finish it's job;p, it must wait patiently which your OS shows as lower load.
Anyway if you'll have any doubts, read what [Unknown] and Bigpet wrote and even drawn for you, but this time without expecting to get any improvement from that knowledge, because expectations are usually the thing that closes our minds to learning new stuff;p.

http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=3590&pid=117172#pid117172 - simple CE scripts to help creating CWCheats,
03-16-2014, 07:26 AM (This post was last modified: 03-16-2014 07:30 AM by solarmystic.)
Just wanted to add a little something to the MT discussion that's most probably already covered elsewhere, and with much better detail and fluency by [Unknown] and the other devs.

To begin with, PPSSPP's gaming performance for your system is ultimately decided by two components, in the following order (simplified to a rather basic degree):-

1) CPU - Feeds intructions to the GPU

2) GPU - Produces the end result seen on your screen. Relies on the CPU for directions.

Here are situations where MT helps:-

1. User has a crap multicore CPU (e.g. Pentium D, Core 2, Atom etc) but combined with a supreme GPU (NVIDIA GTX 580,680, Titan etc) in comparison. As a result, the GPU is being severely underfed (low usage as seen in GPUz) as the CPU can't keep up with the GPU's demands for the emulator. MT will help out tremendously in this situation since more cores will feed the GPU better leading to a direct increase in overall performance. This is the best case scenario.

2. User has a "balanced" system but decides to run at lower rendering resolutions (1x), which effectively makes it a CPU-limited situation. MT will help, but to a lower extent, assuming again that GPU usage isn't maxed out.

Here are situations where MT will do next to nothing:-

1. User has a great multicore Intel CPU coupled with a mediocre Intel Integrated GPU (i5 combined with HD 3000 for example), and is running PPSSPP at a higher rendering resolution (e.g. 4x and above), effectively making it a GPU-limited situation (GPUz reports 100% GPU usage). No gains will be seen here.

2. User decides to jack up all emulator settings to maximum (10x Rendering Resolution, FXAA enabled, Texture Scaling set to 5x Bicubic etc.) on a great system (e.g. i7 2600k + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 680), making it another GPU-limited situation. No gains will be seen here.

The above scenarios all assume that you're unthrottling the speed/set Alternative Speed to Unlimited in PPSSPP. It's stupidly easy to get 100% speed for most games on the desktop if you're using one made in the past 5 years, so you won't see any performance changes if you don't uncap the Speed/Framerate.

TL; DR
Is your GPU satisfied by your multicore CPU and being fully utilized (100%) as a result?

Yes = No gains from MT.

No = Gains from MT.

As long as there is more headroom for the GPU, MT will help.

PPSSPP Modern Testbed:-
Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.0 GHz
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 760 2GB GDDR5 VRAM @ 1138/6500 Mhz
16 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1600 MHz
Windows 7 x64 SP1

PPSSPP Ancient Testing Rig:-
Intel Core 2 Duo T9550 @ 2.8GHz
ATI Mobility Radeon 4670 1GB GDDR3 VRAM @ 843/882 MHz
8 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1066 MHz
Windows 7 x64 SP1
03-16-2014, 10:24 AM (This post was last modified: 03-16-2014 10:33 AM by mckimiaklopa.)
heheh,funny.
Based from facts and performance ,my gpu is about the same level as that on a samsung s2.My phone slows down on cpu-intensive parts of games.Plus my other with an ultra old pvr sgx 531 gpu can do multithreading with huge speed boost

Plus,you may have seen this but multithreading only use 1 core on my phone.

But who cares?
I'm done reporting an issue that really does not exist.

thank you By the way
03-17-2014, 01:36 PM
Another funny thing,the Mt thingy also persists on software rendering(which does not utilize the gpu)
As seen in the systrace(attachment),ppsspp again utilizes only one core despite being on software rendering

Sigh......,after just replacing my Power Vr phone(mainly because the power vr bugs on buffered rendering are still there),looks like im gonna have to find a new one(one with no "special issues" on ppsspp")

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

03-17-2014, 07:54 PM
You see you already did run a simple test proposed by Bigpet in which you added completely useless/wastefull load on cpu which wasn't synchronized with any actual job and did show up with MT on.
This proves that MT works fine, if it doesn't look like it with normal usage, it's because your OS knows better that it doesn't have to and that means a bottleneck somewhere else does exist. While we like to simplify it to gpu/cpu pair, it could be anything from memory, storage, mobo, display refresh rate or even caused by some programs running in the background, generally mobiles are somewhat short term devices and have more marketing than actual power in themselves, to cut price some important components that aren't used in advertisement are commonly really bad.
No clue how to check all of that on android:|. I would start by disabling any applications including widgets, animated wallpapers, custom keyboards or any other stuff that's not the base of the OS. Trying different storage for iso, or even using frameskip(android apps always uses vsync, so basically your fps will never get above display refresh rate and that can actually be low and weird on some devices;p).

You might still think it's PPSSPP problem with your device, but it's rather your device problem with heavy applications. PPSSPP could get some hack or something, it's not like it already doesn't have such things. The thing is, it's just your issue, and nobody knows what's the actual problem if there really is and if there could even be any workaround for it. You're dedicated to prove it's a threading issue, while the test you did earlier on github proved clearly it's not that and you going into it makes you at best an irritating fellow who picks only the things that could prove his own theories from other people's answers. Seriously nobody, and I do mean NOBODY likes that. Nobody here is your enemy or treat you as Nazi Zombie, but ultimately you'll always hear an answer to fix it yourself if you keep repeating to be the only one to understand the problem.

Your tests are also don't have much worth in them, you might as well run one buggy or heavy game as far as we know. Even with MT you can put different things on threads, but cannot divide some others, it's not an universal tool to share load, if the game you test would use mostly one heavy thread it couldn't be divided on 2 cores, your test would be completely worthless, just a waste of especially your own - time.
Look how Solarmystic tests stuff, if you look at some github issues, you'll often see him doing tests on pc. Taking huge variety of differently working games and makes notes of different things not being blinded by the expected stuff. That's how testing should look like, not showing a screenshot of some cpu load tool running who knows what apps in the background and no legend/description included other than "this is my proof":]. As far as I would see this screenshot myself it shows a load of 2 cores, both being busy one mostly by some "applypatch" which I assume by google is your android updating something during your test the other by some "thread-969" which I assume by pure guess is ppsspp. Nothing usefull shows there at best by guessing it says that one your cores is eated by some process, the second one by some other one.

03-19-2014, 09:57 AM
I'm so ashamed right now,to everyone im sorry.Mod,pls delete this thread now.

On the other hand,is it me or is this forums starting to turn into a spamfest?
03-20-2014, 02:11 AM
(03-19-2014 09:57 AM)mckimiaklopa Wrote:  On the other hand,is it me or is this forums starting to turn into a spamfest?

yeah spammers has been booming lately in the forum

o.o Oh Hi XD
P.S: Wanted to go to Japan so badly

AOD270
Windows 7 Home Basic (32bit)
Intel Atom N2800 (Quad-core) 1.86GHz
Intel Graphic Media Accelerator 3600 series
03-20-2014, 10:41 AM
i hope the the spammers will be gone.Seriously,the other day,they were posting full sentences with links.Then yesterday,they were posting broken words.And now today?random creepy symbols and gibberish.

It is creeping me out
03-21-2014, 04:00 AM (This post was last modified: 03-21-2014 04:26 AM by Bigpet.)
Never be detered to ask questions that was not my issue with you, it's just that some things were explained 3 times to you and you still didn't believe what you were told, which isn't necessarily bad but you also didn't actually research hard facts to counter the explanations we gave you, you just based your knowledge on a hunch.

As for why softgpu doesn't utilize both cores, there's a certain overhead attached to running 2 threads from the same process on different cores. This is especially true if both threads write and read to the same data. For a mobile CPUs especially it makes sense to use certain heuristics to determine whether it is wise to run 2 threads from the same process on different cores. I would imagine for example that the fact softgpu threads write to adjacent memory and are very short lived or wait a lot (haven't looked at the thread pool it uses) may not meet the threshold for running on 2 cores. I will honestly admit that I don't know enough about the specific way your specific android version handles threads on your specific processor to make definitive statements but you didn't give me much reason to doubt my assumptions. (I mean just look at the technical documentation, there's all kinds of stuff there, cores can run in a coherent mode or not, they can run in bytecode mode or not and switching between each of those entails overhead and you're free to look into this more but I'm guessing that you would just waste your time)

But feel free to test older versions, you could very well encounter a version that works better for you but be aware that the sync points we have now are there for a reason (mostly because games or the emulator crashed without them or had bugs). Happy hunting.

And yeah, spam in the forum has been rising to ridiculous levels recently.
03-21-2014, 04:59 AM
(03-20-2014 10:41 AM)mckimiaklopa Wrote:  i hope the the spammers will be gone.Seriously,the other day,they were posting full sentences with links.Then yesterday,they were posting broken words.And now today?random creepy symbols and gibberish.

It is creeping me out

The spammers has been dealt with for now. So we should expect that there won't be anymore spammers appeared in the near future Big Grin

o.o Oh Hi XD
P.S: Wanted to go to Japan so badly

AOD270
Windows 7 Home Basic (32bit)
Intel Atom N2800 (Quad-core) 1.86GHz
Intel Graphic Media Accelerator 3600 series
03-21-2014, 06:58 AM
>Where are the old ppsspp dev builds

Emucr.com ?