Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I got a REALLY REALLY GREAT idea for the developers
03-21-2013, 01:28 AM
I got a REALLY REALLY GREAT idea for the developers
My iPhone 4S and I think lots of the other smartphones can't run most of the games ( like G.T.A. Vice City Stories ) Sad Sad Sad Sad and I think the issue is the R.A.M. mermory .

I think it will be better for the developers if they add an option which is using the storage as a R.A.M. memory , but they should write “ use it at your own risk ” because the flash memory is made for daily reading and writing .

Also if they add a cheat engine option but uses the same idea about using the storage as a R.A.M. memory and that will be REALLY GREAT Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin , so I can also make some mods in the games .
Find all posts by this user
03-21-2013, 01:35 AM
RE: I got a REALLY REALLY GREAT idea for the developers
I think the issue more is that the emulator is still pretty early aswell also, I'm pretty sure if we used your idea, the game would still be slow as RAM has a much faster load time than any other storage device.
03-21-2013, 01:40 AM
(03-21-2013 01:35 AM)Code101 Wrote:  I think the issue more is that the emulator is still pretty early aswell also, I'm pretty sure if we used your idea, the game would still be slow as RAM has a much faster load time than any other storage device.

Put at least the game will loads .
03-21-2013, 01:47 AM
Games not booting up is more along the lines of compatibility issues. As Code 101 said, the emulator is still really young. When the emulation itself is more complete, compatibility will go up. I'm not sure that the idea of using flash memory for RAM will make more games run.
03-21-2013, 02:46 AM (This post was last modified: 03-21-2013 02:47 AM by [Unknown].)
On my 3GS, I've only so far gotten memory warnings when doing a savestate. It may be running out of RAM, but it's a bad idea to build solutions off a complete guess that, if wrong, could just make things even worse...

Anyway, most operating systems (I'm not 100% sure about mobile ones) do this for you - it's called "swapping." For anything where performance matters at all, it's a bad thing. RAM is at least 10 if not 1000 times faster than Flash Memory, card, or disk. So if the emulator is actively swapping, you're guaranteed at best 1/10th the FPS you get now. Probably 1% or less.

So it's only a good idea if your phone is currently able to run PPSSPP at maybe 600 fps or more. That's not likely. Even on my powerful desktop and fast SSD, active swapping would probably make most games run under 60 fps, since most run between 600 - 1200 fps max, and my RAM is at least 30 times faster than my SSD (meaning I could expect a max of 20 - 40 fps at best.) This is just an estimate of course, it might be faster as long as my GPU wasn't affected by it.

If you think it is RAM, you might try closing all your background apps. Also consider trying Carat:
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/carat/id504771500?mt=8

I know that MobileCal and Skype are often big offenders for my phone.

-[Unknown]
03-21-2013, 03:13 AM (This post was last modified: 03-21-2013 03:15 AM by The Infinity.)
(03-21-2013 02:46 AM)[Unknown] Wrote:  On my 3GS, I've only so far gotten memory warnings when doing a savestate. It may be running out of RAM, but it's a bad idea to build solutions off a complete guess that, if wrong, could just make things even worse...

Anyway, most operating systems (I'm not 100% sure about mobile ones) do this for you - it's called "swapping." For anything where performance matters at all, it's a bad thing. RAM is at least 10 if not 1000 times faster than Flash Memory, card, or disk. So if the emulator is actively swapping, you're guaranteed at best 1/10th the FPS you get now. Probably 1% or less.

So it's only a good idea if your phone is currently able to run PPSSPP at maybe 600 fps or more. That's not likely. Even on my powerful desktop and fast SSD, active swapping would probably make most games run under 60 fps, since most run between 600 - 1200 fps max, and my RAM is at least 30 times faster than my SSD (meaning I could expect a max of 20 - 40 fps at best.) This is just an estimate of course, it might be faster as long as my GPU wasn't affected by it.

If you think it is RAM, you might try closing all your background apps. Also consider trying Carat:
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/carat/id504771500?mt=8

I know that MobileCal and Skype are often big offenders for my phone.

-[Unknown]

But at least the game will run and its just an option in the settings menu , so if you want your game running but you don't care about your flash memory life and the game speed just activate it .

I'm just giving some advices about the next update if there will be .
03-21-2013, 05:42 AM
The issue simply isn't RAM at all, all phones have enough RAM for ppsspp, really.

Future versions will be faster, but it will be due to optimizations of the CPU and GPU emulation. There's plenty left to do.
03-21-2013, 08:17 AM
yesssss henrik... you tweak them tings ahah.
03-21-2013, 08:22 AM (This post was last modified: 03-21-2013 08:23 AM by The Infinity.)
But Henrik , I know the issue is not the ram memory , but just put that option ( using storage as a ram ) . It's not a big deal . It's just an option in the settings menu . Also try to put memory editor so everyone who could work on cheat devises can hack any game and that will be really great .
03-21-2013, 08:31 AM
I've never seen a memory error on my N8. It has only 256MB RAM. Not sure if there are phones that can run PPSSPP that have less than that.
03-21-2013, 08:34 AM (This post was last modified: 03-21-2013 08:35 AM by The Infinity.)
Yeah I know , but I just said its just an option . Like if someone don't want it , just don't activate it . Just for emergencies , LOOOOL . But it's really good to have this option in the settings menu .
03-21-2013, 09:26 AM
Okay, what memory fetish do you have Tongue

If PPSSPP doesnt need any more RAM then why add such a pointless option ?
03-21-2013, 12:05 PM (This post was last modified: 03-21-2013 12:24 PM by The Infinity.)
(03-21-2013 09:26 AM)Thewonderboy Wrote:  Okay, what memory fetish do you have Tongue

If PPSSPP doesnt need any more RAM then why add such a pointless option ?

Just for emergencies like I said before . And also because there are very old phones like iPhone 2G and 3G that can't handle these P.S.P. games .

Like I said , it's just an option in the settings menu . If you don't like it then don't activate . Simple as that .

And also I've asked for the memory editor ( like cheat engine ) menu . Sometimes when you do fuzzy search , you will run-out of your memory . So why don't add this feature ( use storage as a R.A.M. ) as an option . It's not a very big deal . It's like I said before , if you don't like it don't activate it and imagine there is nothing like this in the settings menu . But if you like it , just activate it . That's it .
03-21-2013, 12:30 PM
again, PPSSPP requires only about 100MB, more RAM is useless except if there are memory leak bugs, which there shouldn't be.
03-21-2013, 01:01 PM
I think what he's trying to say, (just an inference from his first few posts) is that if PPSSPP has uses the phone's system memory for RAM then more games will be compatible, or at least start up. He's not looking at it for a speedup option, but thinks that if PPSSPP does this more games will, at least, be able to start up. Which unfortunately would be wrong anyways. Also, The Infinity, it wouldn't help the iPhone 2G or 3G because I'm reasonably sure (correct me if I'm wrong) that neither of them have Open GLES 2.0 support, which is required for PPSSPP to run.
Thread Closed