Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Windows 10 or Linux for CS college?
10-22-2020, 08:01 AM
Windows 10 or Linux for CS college?
Hello, developers

I am an intermediate Linux user and will start my first year in the college the next week. The programming languages we will learn are C# with .Net framework, Java, PHP and C++ (For Ai). Some assignments will be done by Microsoft Office suite that also needs Windows like Visual Studio and I hate Windows a lot in software development field (my opinion). I can't make up my mind, should I install Windows, keep Linux and try using alternatives like .Net Core and Libre office or install Windows on a VM.

Thanks for helping me.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-04-2024, 02:53 PM
RE: Windows 10 or Linux for CS college?
If I were you, I would do it.
10-04-2024, 02:59 PM (This post was last modified: 10-07-2024 04:04 PM by Al-Ameen Adewunmi.)
RE: Windows 10 or Linux for CS college?
Stick with Linux for most of your work since you're already comfortable with it. For .Net and Visual Studio, you can either use a VM or dual boot. WSL (Windows Subsystem for Linux) is another option that lets you run Linux within Windows, but some people find it clunky. For Microsoft Office, using something like LibreOffice could work, but compatibility with formatting might be an issue, especially when submitting assignments.
If you're set on Linux but need Office for specific assignments, check out nerdused for affordable Microsoft Office options for Windows. You can run it in a VM or dual boot when necessary without fully committing to Windows.