Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4 Average
Jak and Daxter - The Lost Frontier
08-08-2016, 03:40 PM (This post was last modified: 08-27-2016 05:39 PM by gordonfreeman.)
RE: Jak and Daxter - The Lost Frontier
I've got a workaround and a possible root cause for this issue on Windows PPSSPP version 1.2.2 (switching to dynarec and changing IO method did not stop or bypass crashes for me):

EDIT: I completed the game with this fix so I can confirm it enables passing all crashes.

Root cause:
This seems to be related to loading state saves and how the game does not recognise the memory card after that (similar to how native autosaves fail in Phantasy Star Portable after loading a state save). Fortunately the workaround is fairly simple although need to be careful.

Workaround:
State Save often and in case the game freezes and then emulator crashes - this happens together - especially at the green doors loading other areas or at the plane take-off/landing zones:
1. Load your state, perform a native save (save from the game's menu)
2. Close the game and relaunch it from the emulator launcher
3. Load game from game's main menu then continue normally - DO NOT LOAD STATE UNTIL THE CRASH POINT IS PASSED (then perform another state save).

In case the native save restarts the level and you do not want to replay the whole level (e.g. Research station after ending enemy encounter just before the next segment), try this alternative:
1. Load state
2. Just perform a native save and continue without loading state until the next level segment is reached.
This does not always work, first method is guaranteed to work though based on my experience.

Of note, if after a load the game detects that memory card is unmounted and informs you via an on-screen notification then crash should not occur until your next native save re-enables native autosave. It is always a good idea to have native saves though.

I'll post a log next time I launch the game, probably this weekend, meanwhile this should allow everyone to play the game with minimal hassle. The emulator itself freezing up and requiring a force CTRL+ALT+DEL then task manager kill is really the most irritating part and for some reason it is taking a long time to startup sometimes but anyway, it is a fantastic emulator!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Jak and Daxter - The Lost Frontier - gordonfreeman - 08-08-2016 03:40 PM