Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Ppsspp darkstalkers on android
03-18-2019, 09:46 AM
RE: Ppsspp darkstalkers on android
(03-18-2019 04:08 AM)[Unknown] Wrote:  To describe it perhaps a slightly less jaded way:

My attitude comes from the way the person who gave me this information talked down to pretty much everyone in the thread. They give off a serious "If you're not using PPSSPP the way that I use it, you're using it wrong!" vibe in many of their posts.

Also, that wasn't my only experience with them. I wanted to map the face buttons to mouse movements so that I could use the mouse for aiming in FPS games which use the face buttons for controlling the camera. I can do this with an external program and it works fairly well. No, it's not as good as real mouse control, but it's better than using the buttons, or even mapping the buttons to an analog stick in my opinion. Unfortunately, PPSSPP's built-in support for this wasn't nearly as usable. When I posted about this, I was told that it wasn't meant to be used that way, that using the mouse to simulate buttons presses sucks and that games aren't worth playing that way. They wouldn't want to play a game that way, therefore it wasn't worth any attention. As far as I know, they never even bothered to try the external program I mentioned so they could compare the differences themselves, they just dismissed the whole idea, like they dismissed people wanting to play Darkstalkers because it's not a 'true' PSP game.

(03-18-2019 04:08 AM)[Unknown] Wrote:  The hardware renderer relies on games basically drawing things like 3D triangles, the way almost all modern games do now (even 2D games.) This is how it increases the render resolution and applies other effects, like texture scaling. Luckily, almost all PSP games draw graphics this way.

First off, let me state that I love PPSSPP. I think it's a great emulator, especially for there being so little documentation about the inner workings of the PSP. I don't want to seem like I'm putting it down or belittling the authors' work in any way. I wouldn't be here if I didn't think it was worth it.

That said, the problem with making an emulator that relies on games and other programs conforming to the expected rules is that there will always be exceptions to those rules and the emulator will never get to be 100% compatible that way. Now, I'm not saying that it needs to be coded in such a way that it emulates everything right down to the hardware level and runs at about 2FPS on a 4Ghz i7, but dismissing some games or software as improper because they don't do things the way most others do can lead to problems.

Many years ago, I had a Commodore 64 emulator for the Amiga called A64. As long as software followed the rules and used proper ROM calls, it would work. Needless to say that it failed miserably at running any commercial games. Actually, about all it could run were BASIC programs and simple assembly programs. Current emulators like VICE have come a long way and can now run probably 99.99% of all programs. Actually, I've never found anything it couldn't handle.

If possible, I would like to see PPSSPP one day attain that level of compatibility.

(03-18-2019 04:08 AM)[Unknown] Wrote:  So like anyone would, we removed the setting (and some of the broken code associated with it.) This actually helped us later when we rebuilt the way multithreading works, and made rendering faster on all devices. Keeping bad code around always has a cost, and usually that cost is progress. If we didn't ditch bad code, this game probably would've never started working in the first place - we'd still be trapped in a maze of duct tape and twine trying to find a way to balance another statue on a tripline.

I still lament the loss of that option, but it was never explained in this manner. All I got before was basically "It didn't work properly so we took it out."

(03-18-2019 04:08 AM)[Unknown] Wrote:  We've actually fixed similar issues in a few other games already, but fans of those games were more interested in getting into the emulator and contributing better fixes than getting angry that we threw away ugly masses of duct tape. Remember, PPSSPP is open source - and it gets better when people contribute.

I'd help if I could, but I know nothing about modern programming. I wasn't even very good at programming the C64. Any "help" I could contribute is pretty much limited to making suggestions and testing for bugs. Sometimes I'm hesitant to post to the bug tracker because even after looking through the other issues, I'm never 100% sure if I'm just going to be duplicating something that's already known under a different name.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Ppsspp darkstalkers on android - viprit - 03-11-2019, 07:13 AM
RE: Ppsspp darkstalkers on android - Rekrul - 03-18-2019 09:46 AM