Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
My vision about emulation
10-29-2018, 05:45 AM
RE: My vision about emulation
Practicality versus accuracy:
This will really depend on how much accuracy you think is enough. For example cycle accurate accuracy for even an SNES requires a pretty powerful CPU. If you wanted to try and incorporate cycle accuracy into something more modern then you're going to require even more exponential CPU power.

Focus and vision for the future:
While technologies like 64-bit and multi-core processors do help some emulation it is not always useful for every emulator. In some cases these Technologies might even cause overhead that can either slow down the Emulator or reduce accuracy. New does not always mean faster and more accurate.

The industry:
A lot of retro games I'm never quite look exactly right due to advancements in display technology. Little tricks were used in order to get the most out of underpowered consoles and these techniques don't translate quite right to modern displays and video rendering. This is less of an issue for consoles and handhelds that were built with LCD in mind. The example that comes to mind is the Quick Draw mini game in Kirby's Adventure for the NES. Emulating the NES version on an LCD screen makes the game nearly impossible to actually win do to refresh rates and the way the game is displayed. If however you use a Gameboy Advanced emulator and the Gameboy Advance version the game was tweaked in order to work on the systems LCD screen and as a result the mini game even through emulation is much more... fair. Another example would be the game 7th Guest where the microscope puzzle was based around using the computer's processor to determine how hard the puzzle was. This becomes a slight issue on more Modern Hardware where are the puzzle becomes nearly impossible to actually beat. Due to odd issues like this porting old games to new systems is somewhat more of an art then an exact science. I do agree that there are way too many lazy ports though, but that has been in Industry standard for decades.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
My vision about emulation - relu419 - 10-28-2018, 04:15 AM
RE: My vision about emulation - [Unknown] - 10-29-2018, 02:25 AM
RE: My vision about emulation - TkSilver - 10-29-2018 05:45 AM
RE: My vision about emulation - Rekrul - 12-10-2018, 08:22 AM