Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Save Crashing.
03-21-2016, 02:43 AM
RE: Save Crashing.
Interesting. The code that draws the list of saves to select from is the same for loading or saving. But it's really interesting that it can crash even before you select a slot - that really eliminates a lot of possible issues.

I forgot to ask, what video card do you have? Is it Intel?

I'm actually having trouble coming up with anything that would be different in the "load" list than in the "save" list. When you select a slot, different things start to happen, but until that point... the biggest difference might be the default selection. And if you only have one save, that won't be different either...

Sometimes games do funny things behind the save dialog, though... not sure if it could be some sort of graphics crash. If you have Crisis Core, it'd be interesting to know if it crashes the same way - I'm relatively familiar with what drawing it does during a save dialog. I'll check Tactics Ogre and Star Ocean 1 later (luckily I own both...) I've definitely saved in both of those before and never seen issues.

A few settings you could try:

1. Disable vertex cache. In general, this makes things faster but also glitchier (normally it shouldn't crash, though.) I wish we could turn it off by default, but it is a lot faster in some cases, so for many users it's the better experience to have it on.

2. Disable "fast memory" in the settings tab. This shouldn't be the cause, but when fast memory is on, bugs in the emulator are much more likely to cause crashes. It'll be slowe, but maybe it'll avoid the crash.

3. Disable "simulate block transfer". This is used by games for a bunch of graphical effects, and one of them is creating save icons. Without it, save icons will sometimes just be black. It's possible creating the icon is what's crashing.

-[Unknown]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Save Crashing. - Harrison - 03-19-2016, 05:18 PM
RE: Save Crashing. - [Unknown] - 03-20-2016, 05:57 AM
RE: Save Crashing. - Harrison - 03-20-2016, 10:55 AM
RE: Save Crashing. - [Unknown] - 03-21-2016 02:43 AM
RE: Save Crashing. - Harrison - 03-21-2016, 06:45 PM
RE: Save Crashing. - [Unknown] - 03-21-2016, 11:46 PM