Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Rengoku II: The Stairway to H.E.A.V.E.N.
06-26-2021, 11:45 PM
RE: Rengoku II: The Stairway to H.E.A.V.E.N.
Thanks for the reply.
I think I'm confusing my memories with the first game. I checked out the first one on PPSSPP and it is crisp and clear without any of the fancy lighting effects.
That screenshot of Rengoku 2 without the effects that Puniasterus posted looks like Rengoku 1 did. So its not a PPSSPP regression, but just me having a mental regression. Heh.

I had tried using the hack to have effects in a lower resolution, but that causes constant whitish flashes of light all over the screen. Especially when moving.
Disabling buffered rendering isn't an option on this game. The majority of the time it will just result in a crash, normally with an exception error of some kind. If it makes it in game then you'll have a warm colored pixelated haze over the screen.

Creating a cheat to disable the game's bloom might be something worth persuing. Unfortunately, I haven't the foggiest idea of where to start for that.

I made a CRC hack in the past to remove a motion blur effect in the Playstation 2 game Disgaia 2 using Cheat Engine, but I was only able to pull that off because there was easily controllable times in game when the motion blur was enabled and disabled. It was disabled while stationary, but enabled while moving. So it was fairly easy to track down where in memory the motion blur toggle was and force it to be always off. Testing Rengoku 2 I didn't notice any points when I could say for certain the blur effect was off to try to track it down and disable it.

I saw a number of CWcheats to disable effects and such in various games posted. I think even some from yourself as well. Sadly, nothing for this game. Searching around turned up a lot of various cheats for games including some bloom removal, but I didn't come across any information on how to actually make one of these hacks from scratch.
Any advice or information anywhere on how I could go about disabling the bloom myself?

As for the shadow, I managed to track down a youtube video taken on an actual PSP and it shows what the shadow should look like in the games menu screen. In normal gameplay the shadow effect is just the common dark circle on the ground under the character. When I was testing on PPSSPP I was trying to address the bloom and only noticed the shadow issue in passing. If its an issue worth reporting to github I'll do some more proper testing and check various render modes and such to see if any of it has an effect on the shadow.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Rengoku II: The Stairway to H.E.A.V.E.N. - Kolrath - 06-26-2021 11:45 PM