Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Frame skip interface issue.
05-12-2014, 05:20 AM
RE: Frame skip interface issue.
I'm aware that there's a small number of people who seem quite convinced of this. Unfortunately, there's no evidence to prove this or to prove aliens. Conviction doesn't make truth.

Here's the relevant change:
https://github.com/hrydgard/ppsspp/commi...514dd8R562

If you can understand code, it'll be important for you to understand that at this time, g_Config.iFrameSkip had the following values:

0 = do not frameskip
1 = auto frameskip
2 = frameskip 1 frame (fixed)
3 = frameskip 2 frame (fixed)

This was confusing, and has been since changed. Anyway, the relevant change I made was in v0.9.7, and corrected auto frameskip to allow more than one frame to be skipped in a row. It was quite clear, for example using softgpu (which in many games, runs at 25% speed on my computer), that it was only capable of skipping one frame.

In this line:

int maxFrameskip = throttle ? g_Config.iFrameSkip : 8;

The throttle value is true when you're not pressing fast forward. So, maxFrameskip was always 1, if you used auto. Also, if you had frameskipping set to a fixed value, it was one higher than it ought to be (incorrectly.) This was a mistake whoever added auto frameskipping made.

In my change, I made it skip up to 4 frames in auto (this made softgpu way more bearable.) Some people complained that this was too much skipping, and so we changed it to use the slider, allowing you to pick the maximal number of frames you would like to skip.

As always, there have been changes that have improved and hurt preformance along the way. There have been thousands of individual changes since then, and even before then. Maybe some other change has affected your favorite game and made its performance worse, and you are thinking that this perceived decrease in performance is caused by framekskip changes.

-[Unknown]
Find all posts by this user
Thread Closed 

Messages In This Thread
Frame skip interface issue. - Nightquaker - 05-10-2014, 03:37 PM
RE: Frame skip interface issue. - [Unknown] - 05-12-2014 05:20 AM
RE: Frame skip interface issue. - vnctdj - 05-12-2014, 07:17 PM