Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Regression in latest builds of the emulator: Huge speed loss in some games
03-05-2014, 01:00 PM (This post was last modified: 03-05-2014 01:16 PM by solarmystic.)
RE: Regression in latest builds of the emulator: Huge speed loss in some games
Hi sergio_zar,

I can't seem to reproduce the performance regressions in both Wipeout games using the latest build and also using the builds suggested in your post. I don't have any of the other games listed so I can't comment on those.

I did a performance profile comparison, monitoring CPU and GPU usage on my computer using GPUz and the Task Manager when running those games on both builds listed in your post. (ppsspp-v0.9.7.2-116 and ppsspp-v0.9.7.2-203). I did it one last time for the latest master as well, for control purposes.

They were exactly the same (GPU usage never exceeded 40% for Wipeout Pulse and 45% for Wipeout Pure, Rendering Resolution was set to 3x, every other setting was set to default), which means the demands of the emulator when running those games are also the same, between all three builds.

Both games ran at 100% (60 FPS) consistently.

Some system information from your end would be helpful, mine are listed in my signature.

Try doing what I did and see where the bottleneck is occuring (the CPU or the GPU) when the performance is horrible in the newer builds.

Last thing you can do is to reset all settings to default and try again. It could be a bad configuration mucking things up in the newer versions.

Thanks for your time.

PPSSPP Modern Testbed:-
Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.0 GHz
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 760 2GB GDDR5 VRAM @ 1138/6500 Mhz
16 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1600 MHz
Windows 7 x64 SP1

PPSSPP Ancient Testing Rig:-
Intel Core 2 Duo T9550 @ 2.8GHz
ATI Mobility Radeon 4670 1GB GDDR3 VRAM @ 843/882 MHz
8 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1066 MHz
Windows 7 x64 SP1
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Regression in latest builds of the emulator: Huge speed loss in some games - solarmystic - 03-05-2014 01:00 PM