Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Control Mapping
02-04-2013, 11:28 PM
Control Mapping
Just started it up and am a little taken aback by the lack of control mapping. (Talking about the windows version, naturally) It just seemed like such a simple feature to include, but I'm not a programmer so I don't really know. I really only want control remapping so I can use a gamepad with it, because while I am a PC gamer, I prefer playing with a pad when that's how the game was designed/ Anyways, I was wondering if anyone knows if control remapping is an eventual feature to be implemented, or if anyone has a work-around to make gamepads compatable.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-04-2013, 11:39 PM
RE: Control Mapping
It also supports XInput so you can connect an Xbox 360 or compatible game pad and it will just work.

But yes this is definitely lacking, we plan to replace the entire UI with a Qt-based one soon so it's not very motivating to create a control mapping UI and then delete it.
02-05-2013, 12:28 AM
If your gamepad doesn't support xinput, you can use an xinput emulator. I think there's a popular one out there, and you basically just put its dll in the same directory.

-[Unknown]
02-06-2013, 01:46 AM
Thanks both of you for the feedback. I'll try it out with XInput. And I totally get not wanting to make something only to have to redo it when you replace the UI. It does seem like a waste were you to do it at this stage.
02-06-2013, 01:56 AM
(02-04-2013 11:39 PM)Henrik Wrote:  It also supports XInput so you can connect an Xbox 360 or compatible game pad and it will just work.

But yes this is definitely lacking, we plan to replace the entire UI with a Qt-based one soon so it's not very motivating to create a control mapping UI and then delete it.

Little bit off topic, but when you replace the UI with the Qt-based one do you plan on adding in support for the Xperia Play touchpad? Big Grin
02-06-2013, 07:17 AM
Well, that's a different issue really - we won't use Qt on Android, only on platforms where it's well supported like Windows, Linux, Mac and Symbian (and blackberry?).

Touchpad support on Xperia Play is tricky - because it's only Android 2.3 officially ( http://www.slashgear.com/sony-axes-xperi...-25230098/ ), it doesn't support the newer gamepad APIs that were introduced in 4.0, so we have to use a workaround. Unfortunately to do that you need to have your app created as a "Native Activity" which would require some rewriting of the Android parts and also would break compatibility with 2.2 unless we do some ungodly trickery which I haven't figured out yet.

http://developer.sonymobile.com/knowledg...available/

So as you can see it's not a top priority for me right now...
02-06-2013, 11:56 AM
(02-06-2013 07:17 AM)Henrik Wrote:  Well, that's a different issue really - we won't use Qt on Android, only on platforms where it's well supported like Windows, Linux, Mac and Symbian (and blackberry?).

Touchpad support on Xperia Play is tricky - because it's only Android 2.3 officially ( http://www.slashgear.com/sony-axes-xperi...-25230098/ ), it doesn't support the newer gamepad APIs that were introduced in 4.0, so we have to use a workaround. Unfortunately to do that you need to have your app created as a "Native Activity" which would require some rewriting of the Android parts and also would break compatibility with 2.2 unless we do some ungodly trickery which I haven't figured out yet.

http://developer.sonymobile.com/knowledg...available/

So as you can see it's not a top priority for me right now...

Wow, I never realized that the input for the touchpad was that complicated. Thanks for explaining it.
02-06-2013, 02:26 PM
so next version will support xperia play touchpad? Big Grin
02-06-2013, 03:04 PM
Did you even read what I wrote?

It's damn tricky and I don't have one, so it's not my priority. If someone else wants to do it, that's fine.
02-06-2013, 05:20 PM
xd

Henrik and hadware keys(vol+- etc buttons) mapping be a possible added would more easy?

would be very useful for some games that require constant use of L/R
02-06-2013, 06:37 PM
I think its not that easy, cause you would have to disable the volume change then and that works globally.
02-06-2013, 07:01 PM
Could this help?
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthre...?t=1401101
02-06-2013, 11:05 PM
Not that is easy, but easier than the xperia pad, which has more compatibility issues etc

But relatively, with a new activity with a keyevent calls and cancel the media control etc in a new activity etc, do not know much, but relatively not be a problem, and if you look at most android emulators have this ability.

but you have to work on that clear, and it takes time and dedication