Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
External HDD Banged Up!
12-14-2013, 05:30 AM
Shocked External HDD Banged Up!
So I used to have an external HDD of 1TB named "WD MyBook Crap". It was constantly being undetected by my media player, the "WD TV". So I decided to hit the turbo and pay a visit to the "Disk Management" console of my Windows PC. Yeah, the PC did detect it but it was suffering from I/O problems. So I decided to format it up completely. The format took a long time as I had the "Quick Format" option unticked. After having finished the specified task, I tested with a few file transfers. It passed the test without any sort of errors.
But hell, wasn't pleased. So, decided to partition it using the "Disk Management" console again. Had a goal to split it into 3 parts. The first 2 of them completed successfully. But the latter partitioning task failed with a freeze of the console. The G:/ and H:/ were being displayed correctly, but I:/ wasn't. And right after the occurrence, whenever I tried to go through the "Disk Management" console, it kept freezing before it could have loaded the drives.
Now, how can I get back my External HDD, guys? Any suggestions?

I don't exist anymore, no use calling a dead person
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-14-2013, 10:29 AM
RE: External HDD Banged Up!
Open your Start Menu, do a right-click on "Computer" then click on "Manage".
A new window will appear.
On the left, click on "Disk Management", wait a few second... And you will see all the partitions for all your disks so you will be able to do what you want with them Wink

♦ Intel Core i7-6700HQ | 16 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M | Debian Testing
♦ Intel Core i7-2630QM | 4 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M | Debian Testing
♦ PSP-3004 | 6.60 PRO-C2
12-14-2013, 12:54 PM
(12-14-2013 10:29 AM)vnctdj Wrote:  Open your Start Menu, do a right-click on "Computer" then click on "Manage".
A new window will appear.
On the left, click on "Disk Management", wait a few second... And you will see all the partitions for all your disks so you will be able to do what you want with them Wink

Well, thanks but the problem is exactly sitting at the disk management window. I mean the PC freezes while "Connecting to the Virtual Network Service" while the HDD is plugged in. When it's off, everything seems to be fine.
Actually, the problem and corruption occurred right when I was using the disk management for creating partitions at the drive. The window froze and terminated leaving that partition in a semi-done state. More or less, it made the other 2 partitions unusable too.

12-14-2013, 01:00 PM
Oh, well excuse-me, I didn't notice that your problem was with the "Disk Management" tool... Undecided

And it doesn't work if you try to format your partitions in "Computer" (I mean Windows Explorer) by just right-clicking them ?

♦ PSP-3004 | 6.60 PRO-C2
12-14-2013, 01:05 PM
(12-14-2013 01:00 PM)vnctdj Wrote:  Oh, well excuse-me, I didn't notice that your problem was with the "Disk Management" tool... Undecided

And it doesn't work if you try to format your partitions in "Computer" (I mean Windows Explorer) by just right-clicking them ?

Nah, the PC keeps freezing using the explorer too. (Damn)
Guess my HDD is gone for good this time... Undecided
More or less, I still have 11TB left in my other HDDs. Time to put them to use. Cool

12-14-2013, 01:09 PM (This post was last modified: 12-14-2013 01:10 PM by vnctdj.)
Oh, I feel sorry for your HDD... Sad
Maybe there is a solution but personally I don't know Undecided

♦ PSP-3004 | 6.60 PRO-C2
12-14-2013, 01:39 PM
(12-14-2013 01:09 PM)vnctdj Wrote:  Oh, I feel sorry for your HDD... Sad
Maybe there is a solution but personally I don't know Undecided

Maybe I need to hire a know-how... (I guess)
Any intellectually well-oriented member in this forum who sleeps, dreams and eats (erm..) computers?

12-14-2013, 01:47 PM
LOL, maybe a software can solve your problem, but I really don't know... Undecided

♦ PSP-3004 | 6.60 PRO-C2
12-14-2013, 03:10 PM
(12-14-2013 01:47 PM)vnctdj Wrote:  LOL, maybe a software can solve your problem, but I really don't know... Undecided

Yeah, still looking...

12-14-2013, 08:57 PM
linux tends to fare better with broken filesystems than windows.
you could try formatting it through a linux live CD/DVD or hiren's bootCD(great toolbox, especially the restored edition)

if possible, it might be an idea to take the drive out of its casing(it's usually an internal hard drive with a protective case+usb adapter wrapped around it) hooking it up directly to a PC using S-ATA cables, and using gateway scan(boot from hiren's bootCD, dos programs, hard disk tools, next 2 or 3 times, and then gwscan/gateway scan)
this will test the surface of the discs to make sure there's nothing broken.
12-15-2013, 01:19 PM
(12-14-2013 08:57 PM)thedicemaster Wrote:  linux tends to fare better with broken filesystems than windows.
you could try formatting it through a linux live CD/DVD or hiren's bootCD(great toolbox, especially the restored edition)

if possible, it might be an idea to take the drive out of its casing(it's usually an internal hard drive with a protective case+usb adapter wrapped around it) hooking it up directly to a PC using S-ATA cables, and using gateway scan(boot from hiren's bootCD, dos programs, hard disk tools, next 2 or 3 times, and then gwscan/gateway scan)
this will test the surface of the discs to make sure there's nothing broken.

Thanks, I'll give it a try. Smile