Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Text glitches
12-10-2013, 07:23 AM (This post was last modified: 12-10-2013 05:38 PM by vnctdj.)
Text glitches
An amazing amount of progress has been made in PSP emulation in less than a year, a ton of games that used to be unplayable are now playable. And I thank everyone for the hard work done to make it happen.

I'm currently playing:

FFT: Lion war
Star Ocean: First Departure
Star Ocean: Second Evolution
MHP3rd HD

All games seem to be playable from start to finish, but I noticed an issue that all seem to have in common. The text in boxes and menus seems to appear glitched temporarily and is slow to update sometimes? I haven't noticed anything in particular that causes this, but it appears to me like its random. This happens far less often in MHP3rd HD.

Is there a fix for this in the settings that will cause the text to update immediately?

I'm certain this is a known issue, but I'm uncertain what the technical term for it is, so my efforts to search for a solution haven't came up with anything.

My PC specs:

CPU: I5 2500k @ 4.4ghz (I never have any speed issues at all, in fact most games run 500+fps with the limiter off)
GPU/s: Radeon 6950 x2 crossfire
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-10-2013, 07:57 AM
RE: Great progress on the emulator!!
(12-10-2013 07:23 AM)Crimsonchaos01 Wrote:  Is there a fix for this in the settings that will cause the text to update immediately?

I don't know what you mean... but the developer still working on the emulator performance for speed.

o.o Oh Hi XD
P.S: Wanted to go to Japan so badly

AOD270
Windows 7 Home Basic (32bit)
Intel Atom N2800 (Quad-core) 1.86GHz
Intel Graphic Media Accelerator 3600 series
12-10-2013, 08:33 AM (This post was last modified: 12-10-2013 08:48 AM by Crimsonchaos01.)
(12-10-2013 07:57 AM)Raimoo Wrote:  
(12-10-2013 07:23 AM)Crimsonchaos01 Wrote:  Is there a fix for this in the settings that will cause the text to update immediately?

I don't know what you mean... but the developer still working on the emulator performance for speed.

The text in RPG games in particular is glitched, and when the boxes update with new text for dialog, and etc, its sometimes slow to update, and it becomes glitched. It happens in pretty much every RPG game I've played so far.

This is what I mean:

Star Ocean: Second Evolution

http://oi43.tinypic.com/2e1f6uv.jpg

This happens in every one of the above games. I have to wait a few seconds, sometimes 5-6 secs for the glitched text to update to the proper text. If you scroll through menus quickly, it seems to happen more frequently. I've seen glitches like the above appear anywhere that text can appear.
12-10-2013, 08:45 AM
* Radiant Mythology experienced font problem, if u read some post in Games Thread.
* and MHfu have input screen problems..

* lets wait.. coz its already been reported.

* if u can , just specify games u tested, builds u tested and post screenshots.

Reality is a Lovely Place, But i Wouldn't Wanna Live There..
• • gLoBe ~
12-10-2013, 08:51 AM (This post was last modified: 12-10-2013 08:53 AM by Crimsonchaos01.)
(12-10-2013 08:45 AM)globe94 Wrote:  * Radiant Mythology experienced font problem, if u read some post in Games Thread.
* and MHfu have input screen problems..

* lets wait.. coz its already been reported.

* if u can , just specify games u tested, builds u tested and post screenshots.

Is there any information I could possibly get from the emulation logs that could be happening at the same time that these glitches occur? Any information on how I can gather the information that would be helpful is appreciated.

I'll be glad to take more SCs of the above games and post them in their respective threads along with any other info that I can gather if it would help.
12-10-2013, 09:11 AM
The glitches are because of the converted texture cache not noticing quickly enough that the text changes. We can fix it immediately by checking every pixel of every texture every frame, but it would slow down all games by quite a lot.

There are a bunch of tricky but potentially better solutions but until they are implemented you will have to live with this.
12-10-2013, 10:00 AM (This post was last modified: 12-10-2013 10:02 AM by Crimsonchaos01.)
I take it that its a more complex problem that you can't simply implement an optional setting for? If it is possible, maybe some of us got PCs that can handle it? Although I see why you wouldn't do it seeing how you're developing the emulator for both PC and phone architecture simultaneously.
12-10-2013, 05:38 PM
RE: Text glitches
Thread's title edited to be more relevant.

♦ Intel Core i7-6700HQ | 16 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M | Debian Testing
♦ Intel Core i7-2630QM | 4 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M | Debian Testing
♦ PSP-3004 | 6.60 PRO-C2