Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Mobile Hardware Performance
11-28-2013, 01:01 PM (This post was last modified: 11-28-2013 01:03 PM by kafeaulait.)
Question Mobile Hardware Performance
I'm mostly interested in Android devices, particularly the Nexus 5 and the Moto X that I'm deciding between for Cyber Monday. But you can just share your experience with the CPU/GPU and I think that should be informative enough.

Do any of you own either of these devices and how do they perform? On what games? With what settings (stock or tweaked)? I imagine that the Moto X shouldn't do any better than the Nexus 4 (which is no good at all) given its CPU.

How about the Tegra Note (by Nvidia/EVGA) with the Tegra 4 CPU/GPU chip? Ostensibly, it should be the best at running PPSSPP. Well, is it? What success have you had with it? What failures?

I've tried to run (1) FFTactic: War of the Lions, and (2) FF7 Crisis Core on my Nexus 4 and results were abysmal, though not unexpected. Choppy sound, <50% fps, high heat generation (though this is the device's fault).

I'll try to update the OP with questions/answers if we want to keep this as the general hardware thread for reference (I couldn't find one).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-28-2013, 03:36 PM
RE: Mobile Hardware Performance
Try FF7:CC in the development builds from the buildbot rather than the version of Google Play, we've made a lot of progress on speed since the last release, which you will see in the next one.

Anything Tegra 4-based is going to be a good bet but I don't have a Nexus 5 so I can't compare them.
11-28-2013, 11:17 PM
(11-28-2013 03:36 PM)Henrik Wrote:  Try FF7:CC in the development builds from the buildbot rather than the version of Google Play, we've made a lot of progress on speed since the last release, which you will see in the next one.

Anything Tegra 4-based is going to be a good bet but I don't have a Nexus 5 so I can't compare them.

So do a git pull and build from sources? I've never built an apk so I'll be groping in the dark here. Let me look around for guides.
11-28-2013, 11:42 PM
(11-28-2013 11:17 PM)kafeaulait Wrote:  
(11-28-2013 03:36 PM)Henrik Wrote:  Try FF7:CC in the development builds from the buildbot rather than the version of Google Play, we've made a lot of progress on speed since the last release, which you will see in the next one.

So do a git pull and build from sources? I've never built an apk so I'll be groping in the dark here. Let me look around for guides.

You can download that that build here
http://buildbot.orphis.net/ppsspp/

I worse write english so take easy on me
(even my own language realy bad T_T)

Rig to test now :
Windows 8 64 bit (Laptop)
Intel® Core™ i3-3110M (2.4GHz, 3MB L3 Cache)
Nvidia GT720M 2GB
11-30-2013, 08:52 PM (This post was last modified: 11-30-2013 08:55 PM by Kyuuketsuki.)
I am looking at exactly the same games (FF7:CC and FFT:WotL) on my Dell Venue 8 Pro, which runs a Baytrail Atom with a cut-down, 4 EU implementation of the Ivy Bridge HD4000 iGPU. The CPU performance is better than Tegra 4, while the GPU performance should be roughly similar.

I am getting the same thing as the OP: choppy sound and significant dips in FPS. Will the buildbot builds help on x86 systems as well (opposed to the 0.9.5 version posted in the downloads), or is the speed benefit primarily for ARM systems? Are the buildbot builds stable?

Awesome emulator, btw. Appreciate all the work!
12-01-2013, 01:47 PM
(11-30-2013 08:52 PM)Kyuuketsuki Wrote:  I am looking at exactly the same games (FF7:CC and FFT:WotL) on my Dell Venue 8 Pro, which runs a Baytrail Atom with a cut-down, 4 EU implementation of the Ivy Bridge HD4000 iGPU. The CPU performance is better than Tegra 4, while the GPU performance should be roughly similar.

I am getting the same thing as the OP: choppy sound and significant dips in FPS. Will the buildbot builds help on x86 systems as well (opposed to the 0.9.5 version posted in the downloads), or is the speed benefit primarily for ARM systems? Are the buildbot builds stable?

Awesome emulator, btw. Appreciate all the work!

Well at least it's not the games being incompatible with PPSSPP itself since as an upper bound, my laptop with an i7 2.0 GHz CPU / on-board HD4000 Intel graphics card manages both just fine.

Can someone with the Tegra Note confirm performance for the rest of us please?