Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is it possible to convert file hex position to cwcheat
11-27-2013, 11:12 PM
Is it possible to convert file hex position to cwcheat
The reason.

The game Dead Head Fred is not working since 0.8.1(excluding)and the reason for it is the first tinny video after the memory stick check(the same thing as with Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Heroes 3)

The simplest fix for this is to just replace one byte to make the video to not work(which will add to console an error "Bad PSMF magic")

Position in the image
0x17003800 - 0x170C6FFF
Replace the 50 with 0 at 0x17003800 and this will make the video to not be loaded and make the game to work.

Is there is a way to apply that change by using cheats rather than modifying the image?

If some dev is interested in the video,here(I extracted it from the DATA.PAK file)...it's pmf file

Attached File(s)
.zip  video.zip (Size: 705.83 KB / Downloads: 426)

Using PPSSPP on Windows 7 x64 SP1
i7 4771 3.5Ghz,GTX750TI,16GB RAM

Batch iso <=> cso converter
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=5384
Save Game\States Manager
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=5516
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-04-2013, 04:14 AM
RE: Is it possible to convert file hex position to cwcheat
(11-27-2013 11:12 PM)vsub_ Wrote:  Position in the image
0x17003800 - 0x170C6FFF
Replace the 50 with 0 at 0x17003800 and this will make the video to not be loaded and make the game to work.

Is there is a way to apply that change by using cheats rather than modifying the image?

I don't have that game myself, so I can't test this directly, but I can still speculate on the possibilities.

Whether a cheat code can do the same thing or not depends entirely on whether the patched byte is part of the main program, part of the video file (to make it invalid), or part of the disc directory structure (to make the entry for that video file invalid).

A simple cheat to patch a byte the same way will only work if the patched byte is part of the main program. This can be tested by searching the main program for some long hex sequence which that byte is part of (as seen in the image file). But even then it will be necessary to identify what PSP address that byte will have at runtime, which may be possible to do by disassembly.

For the other cases, where the patched byte is not part of the program, some other way would have to be invented to abort that video.

Summing up:
I'd stick with the image-patching for now, but keep an unpatched image for testing with future PPSSPP versions, hoping for better compatibility results in these later versions.

Best regards: dlanor
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply