Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Moga pivot/universal driver support and issues
09-05-2013, 11:54 AM
Moga pivot/universal driver support and issues
Hey Henrik, I've recently got moga pocket controller and being played with Moga universal driver (as it looks like it's only the way to play ppsspp on moga,but I've shortly realise that universal driver has lot's of issues (its reported on its play store page), main one is a bug with RAM, driver eats whole device RAM and makes every single app to crash and system to freeze till hard reset a phone, it makes driver app totally unusable (it works for some time fine but it will crash at some point so the only way to get your phone back to its normal condition is to reset) it looks like driver dev won't do anything about it (some reports are dated 3 month ago). I've tested universal driver on my 1gb and 2gb RAM devices (Xperia T, HTC One). Could you be more specific about your priorities, so we could calculate when to expect native support if its in the list of tasks. Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-09-2013, 08:29 AM
RE: Moga pivot/universal driver support and issues
Given that the Moga seems to be somewhat popular, I'm simply gonna buy one soon with some PPSSPP Gold money so I can investigate - that's what it's for. So you're gonna have to wait at least the time it takes them to ship one to Sweden, I haven't been able to find a local dealer that sells them.
09-09-2013, 09:55 PM (This post was last modified: 09-09-2013 09:57 PM by zxcvbad.)
That's a great news, thanks Henrik for your reply and effort. Moga seems to be the only popular device which is supported by many game developers as well as emulator developers like for example Mupen64 AE, I've asked Exophase and Lordus, DraStic should also get Moga support soon, it's #3 task on their list :-) I was surprised Amazon and EBay doesn't operate in Sweden :/ and no moga on tradera Undecided
09-09-2013, 10:09 PM
Do you know if there's any programming-side difference between Moga and Moga Pro? If one work, are both guaranteed to work? If so I'll get the pro as the other one really doesn't have enough buttons heh. I guess we should create some minimal control layouts to supplement the last few buttons on the touch screen.
09-10-2013, 12:04 AM
They both should be identical as they're using Moga's official Pivot app, should be same api, I liked bigger one more, but got the smaller one because size is matter in my case(Overall impressed with the quality of small one, Pro should be even better). I was worried about two analog sticks instead of one d-pad+analog, but it easy to play, the only down side of the pocket one could be no charging port (I use rechargeable batteries) and like you say lack of R1/R2 buttons which could be an issue playing some titles
09-26-2013, 11:28 AM
Thanks. I got my Moga and added support for it to PPSSPP. I only have a Moga non-pro though so I've only tested with that.
12-18-2013, 08:05 PM (This post was last modified: 12-18-2013 08:39 PM by roswell108.)
I have noticed a lot of people having issues, but I also know for a fact the new Moga Hero Power does NOT work with the Moga Universal Driver app. After some testing, I found that in HID mode (or B) the controller will be active in PPSSPP, but will pick up some unusual activity due to the way Moga controllers are designed that will map keys as Pad.??

I found a way to get it to work with DPad, Left analog, and Right analog by using an Nvidia Shield and PS3 controller to build a universal map file and then I simply copied the controller.ini from /sdcard/PSP/SYSTEM on the Shield to the matching folder on the Nexus 5 and BAM! 100% working.

Here is the file: https://app.box.com/s/iqmu7fq22sfay2et1rza

It is configured to handle Moga, Nvidia Shield, and PS3

There are a few slight "eccentricities" with it, though.
The select button in PPSSPP is routed to the L1 controller button (Select registers as back and will take you to pause no matter what you map the button to in PPSSPP, see below)
The R1 button was mapped to pause controller button (In Sixaxis controller, this allows mapping the Select button to enable right analog stick mouse mode and overrides pause)
The R1 button is mapped to the R2 controller trigger or Brake (This is to make it more like a PS3 with shooting games and such)
The L1 button is mapped to the L2 controller trigger or Gas (Obviously done to coincide with the previous configuration setting)
12-18-2013, 10:42 PM (This post was last modified: 12-18-2013 10:43 PM by thedicemaster.)
it doesn't make right analog work.
(almost) all games ignore the psp right analog because it normally doesn't exist.
but mapping the right analog to left analog or D-pad using a similar method still doesn't make right analog work in mode B.

as for the odd select behavior, this doesn't happen in mode A.
only D-pad doesn't work, all other buttons can be mapped and have no unexpected behavior.

i have my own mapping that works "100%" in mode B and A which does have the select=menu problem in mode B, but the only games i play with mode B don't use select.
i use the mode to switch between R-analog as D-pad(mode B) and D-pad as D-Pad(mode A)
12-20-2013, 09:28 PM (This post was last modified: 12-20-2013 10:05 PM by samsmith.)
Roswell108, I tried your file, but it didn't work on my S4. Granted, you have a Nexus. But I like the idea of editing the control.ini file.

I'm having the issue where the Dpad works for menu selection, but in the game, the virtual dpad AND dpad on the moga pocket start twitching and moving and won't let you move it around the screen. It just keeps trying to go in the corner.
12-20-2013, 10:57 PM (This post was last modified: 12-20-2013 10:58 PM by thedicemaster.)
i got his controls.ini to work by ignoring his instructions and placing it in the ppsspp folder in /data/data (requires root, replaces an existing file, and you need to set permissions to 755 and owner to ppsspp)
12-20-2013, 11:21 PM
(12-20-2013 10:57 PM)thedicemaster Wrote:  i got his controls.ini to work by ignoring his instructions and placing it in the ppsspp folder in /data/data (requires root, replaces an existing file, and you need to set permissions to 755 and owner to ppsspp)

I'm in the /data/data/org.ppsspp.ppsspp folder and there is no control.ini. I'm using root file manager and showing hidden files. Are we using the same phone?
12-22-2013, 11:44 AM
when i don't give precise folder locations, it means you'll have to dig around a bit.

i just checked(i didn't before my previous post) and the precise folder is /data/data/org.ppsspp.ppsspp/files/
01-11-2014, 04:52 PM
I managed to configure my Moga Hero Power in B mode using this method:
The buttons configure normally, but when you try to configure the D-pad or the analog sticks, you get some funny ?? thing.
I'm thinking that is some data wrapper that wraps the actual controller input. To map the analog sticks, let's assume in this case the Up direction. I shift the analog stick up, then select the Analog Up field in PPSSPP. Then I move it down a little. The correct input will show up along with the ??. Just press the X button next to the ?? and delete the mapping.

To map the D pad you press the D pad in the right direction slowly. Then the Hat axis will appear together with the ??. Do the same and delete the ??.

Was so happy to discover this, now I can play games that require the analog sticks. No solution for Select being the back button though. I mapped select to R3 Tongue. Would it be possible to map the pause menu to something other than Back?
01-24-2014, 01:56 PM (This post was last modified: 01-24-2014 02:02 PM by regiimoep.)
(01-11-2014 04:52 PM)sawman Wrote:  I managed to configure my Moga Hero Power in B mode using this method:
The buttons configure normally, but when you try to configure the D-pad or the analog sticks, you get some funny ?? thing.
I'm thinking that is some data wrapper that wraps the actual controller input. To map the analog sticks, let's assume in this case the Up direction. I shift the analog stick up, then select the Analog Up field in PPSSPP. Then I move it down a little. The correct input will show up along with the ??. Just press the X button next to the ?? and delete the mapping.

To map the D pad you press the D pad in the right direction slowly. Then the Hat axis will appear together with the ??. Do the same and delete the ??.

Was so happy to discover this, now I can play games that require the analog sticks. No solution for Select being the back button though. I mapped select to R3 Tongue. Would it be possible to map the pause menu to something other than Back?

Can anyone confirm this? I'm thinking of getting a Moga in the future, and if this really works everytime I wouldn't have to think about the PhoneJoy Play.
Not that I don't believe you, however it would be good to know if this can be reproduced reliably.
01-24-2014, 04:47 PM
(01-24-2014 01:56 PM)regiimoep Wrote:  
(01-11-2014 04:52 PM)sawman Wrote:  I managed to configure my Moga Hero Power in B mode using this method:

Can anyone confirm this? I'm thinking of getting a Moga in the future, and if this really works everytime I wouldn't have to think about the PhoneJoy Play.
Not that I don't believe you, however it would be good to know if this can be reproduced reliably.

I can confirm that it works on my Moga Hero in exactly the same manner to config.