Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Optimizations for Android platform
07-06-2013, 10:55 PM
Optimizations for Android platform
I know the main focus is compatibility and I am in love with the emulator. It works great on most games I play and gets better with each build. The only thing I have noticed however is the lack of speed for android. I have a higher end phone with a S4 dual core processor and know it can run most things without problem. Is it enabled to take advantage of multiple cores and GPU core or just single CPU core? I am new to android programming and am unsure of any use I can be, but if it is something being looked into, I would be happy to help.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-07-2013, 12:09 AM
RE: Optimizations for Android platform
Oh really? Wonderful, we never thought of this!
07-07-2013, 10:53 AM
I know a lot of this may have already been thought about, but I haven't had a chance to pull the APK code to take a look. Re-routing a few calls so a majority of the drawing can be offloaded to the GPU may help with performance. I know the GPU in most phones is either non-existant or not very powerful, but I think with the right work it could improve emulation a lot. I know this has probably been talked about and that this isn't anything new, but with the powerful cores in some of the new phones like the HTC One and S4, there may be an advantage to splitting up the work if it can be done.
07-07-2013, 11:44 AM
PPSSPP already uses the GPU for all drawing, there's not a lot more that can be offloaded. Things like audio can be multithreaded fairly easily though and we could possibly put the drawing on a separate core, too. It'll happen.