Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
PPSSPP for Windows Phone (8)?
06-02-2013, 08:35 PM
PPSSPP for Windows Phone (8)?
Hello everyone. I am kind of new with forums, so I apologize in advance is this isn't the usual format of one. I would like to ask if PPSSPP is for Windows Phone? I have a Nokia Lumia 810 and the only available emulators on the app store is for Gameboy, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, and SNES. I love PSP games and I would LOVE if more emulators would come to the phone, or be downloadable via computer to put on my cell. Thanks for reading and please respond!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-02-2013, 08:48 PM
RE: PPSSPP for Windows Phone (8)?
This has been asked and answered a number of times before. Unless Microsoft backs off on the restriction that WP8 apps cannot generate executable code at runtime, PPSSPP will never achieve anything resembling good speed on these devices, which makes it not worth the trouble to even try.
06-02-2013, 08:53 PM (This post was last modified: 06-02-2013 08:54 PM by stodag.)
I was gonna ask the same, just glad someone else didSmile sometimes search doesnt find a certain criteria..

also on your emus..I think fpse (psx emu) is available for wp8.
11-23-2013, 04:49 PM
Good news! Want to hear? Try google search emipsx. "Unless Microsoft backs off on the restriction that WP8 apps cannot generate executable code at runtime" is a bad reason and someone did it well. Henrik, i did not say that u're wrong too, i think it will nt run vry fast for older lumia phones. So, it's a new start for emipsx (maybe ppsspp too), i think. Here's the link http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/...e977e64b82 and if u want it to be free, just dev unlock yr phone(don't ask me about that, just google how to do it)
11-23-2013, 05:03 PM
(11-23-2013 04:49 PM)lim jian wei Wrote:  Good news! Want to hear? Try google search emipsx. "Unless Microsoft backs off on the restriction that WP8 apps cannot generate executable code at runtime" is a bad reason and someone did it well. Henrik, i did not say that u're wrong too, i think it will nt run vry fast for older lumia phones. So, it's a new start for emipsx (maybe ppsspp too), i think. Here's the link http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/...e977e64b82 and if u want it to be free, just dev unlock yr phone(don't ask me about that, just google how to do it)

its a psx emu Dodgy. Worst part of all,it LAGS even tho its a psx emu.

I don't exist anymore, no use calling a dead person
11-24-2013, 02:41 AM
PSX is much much slower than PSP. If you can't even get games to run full speed with a PSX emu on Windows Phone 8, there's no point in porting PPSSPP.
Just wait until Microsoft changes their policy or we get a 'jailbreak'.
11-24-2013, 01:40 PM
(11-23-2013 04:49 PM)lim jian wei Wrote:  Good news! Want to hear? Try google search emipsx. "Unless Microsoft backs off on the restriction that WP8 apps cannot generate executable code at runtime" is a bad reason and someone did it well. Henrik, i did not say that u're wrong too, i think it will nt run vry fast for older lumia phones. So, it's a new start for emipsx (maybe ppsspp too), i think. Here's the link http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/...e977e64b82 and if u want it to be free, just dev unlock yr phone(don't ask me about that, just google how to do it)

If you think this is easily possible, you are free to attempt to port it yourself. It's open source.

Yes, it's true that we could do a port that only uses the interpreter, and simpler games could run okay on the faster phones. There's no hope to reach anywhere near the same speeds we can on Android though, and I just don't feel like doing that much work and buying extra phones for testing just for a bad play experience.
11-24-2013, 11:47 PM
WHat i'm supposed to say is that it's a new start for emipsx.(I didn't say that it will be running very fast==)

Xsacha, thr is a way to "jailbreak" Nokia Lumia already(called dev unlock btw).

Henrik, u're right, but think it as a start for Andre Botelho(publisher of the app), maybe he figured out a way to speed it up. I did say "So, it's a new start for emipsx (maybe ppsspp too)". So MAYBE this is a chance for ppsspp to start working in wp version(idk). P/S: sry i used harsh word to critic you(i was a bit angry because i saw u writing like it was no chance at all for wp to play playstation.)

Sry for my NOOB english(i'm weak at this subject)
11-25-2013, 03:48 AM (This post was last modified: 11-25-2013 03:50 AM by xsacha.)
(11-24-2013 11:47 PM)lim jian wei Wrote:  Xsacha, thr is a way to "jailbreak" Nokia Lumia already(called dev unlock btw).
That just allows you to sideload up to 10 applications. It doesn't unlock any APIs.

'kim jian wei Wrote:Henrik, u're right, but think it as a start for Andre Botelho(publisher of the app), maybe he figured out a way to speed it up. I did say "So, it's a new start for emipsx (maybe ppsspp too)". So MAYBE this is a chance for ppsspp to start working in wp version(idk). P/S: sry i used harsh word to critic you(i was a bit angry because i saw u writing like it was no chance at all for wp to play playstation.)
Nothing has changed. This was always possible. I remember playing a GBA emulator on my Windows Phone.

I also remember playing some PSX games on my Windows Mobile 6 handset at full speed (it had JIT). Although I wouldn't consider running PSP on that either.
01-11-2014, 04:37 AM
I think they're finally going to jailbreak it, hope this will boost possibilities for Windows Phone 8 and PPSSPP.

http://www.mobileburn.com/22378/news/all...ws-phone-8
01-11-2014, 10:46 AM
That would be cool. I'd consider buying one as you get better specs for cheaper..

S TO DA G
05-14-2014, 01:51 PM
Actually only the issue of JIT remains, due to the angle project offering support for direct translation of OpenGL ES 3.0 to DirectX 11 calls including WP8/.1.

More info on: http s://github.com/stammen/angleproject

(Regarding JIT, there are applications capable of generating executable code on demand, such as TouchDevelop -> http s://research.microsoft.com/en-us/projects/touchdevelop/)
05-14-2014, 06:04 PM
The problem isn't generating code at run time, we can do that, we simply are not allowed to execute it on WinPhone - and thus it becomes pretty useless.
10-25-2014, 09:52 AM (This post was last modified: 10-25-2014 10:10 AM by Dissonance.)
Sorry to bump an old (and tired) thread/subject. But I haven't seen a proper technical discussion as to how EmiPSX was possible on Windows Phone (and it does actually run on Lumia 520 albeit not as well). Hopefully this will spur a bit of debate rather than the usual entrenched opinion I keep reading along the lines of "can't execute data so emulation can't be done except with a standard interpreter", which is just plain wrong.

I believe (based on conversations with the author) that EmiPSX uses threaded interpretation to achieve the necessary performance to run on a Windows Phone. In basic terms this works by creating an array of function pointers indexed by the program counter which is populated and updated as code is interpretted (much like a JIT would). Each time an instruction is decoded through the interpreter's standard fetch/decode a function pointer to the decoded instruction is cached. When the same address is called again the emulator skips the decode and calls straight into the appropriate instruction code. The idea being that frequently run portions of the code become "threaded" (a contiguous sequence of subroutine calls) rather than a sequences of pipeline disrupting conditional branches (as done in a typical interpreter's cascaded decode of an instruction). Threaded interpretation does not require data to be executed, only that data members be able to point to executable code (which is allowed in Windows Phone). Obviously threaded code is less efficient than a dynamic binary translation of a basic block due to the call overhead but it does offer a drastic improvement over a pure interpreter.

Now I'm not expecting this to persuade PPSSPP's developers to go ahead and attempt a port to Windows Phone, but I would be interested in a discussion of the relative performance gains to be had from threaded interpretation and I do consider EmiPSX to be a sound proof of concept for 5th gen console emulation on Windows Phone and RT platforms. By the way I have a background in development of soft-core processors and most of the code I write day to day is assembly or HDL of one flavor or another, so you can go ahead and use big words.
10-25-2014, 11:43 AM
Well is there any actual benchmarks for this approach? Because I get the whole "don't need to decode each time" thing. But you still have a level of indirection with the function pointers. I mean if you're lucky and order your functions carefully you may get to execute a series of instructions without blowing your I-Cache but I personally don't think it's worth it to contort yourself for such a sub-optimal solution just to make it run a little faster on the few platforms that want to have a monopoly on certain applications (mainly fast browsers).