Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Programming Skills??
06-01-2013, 05:07 PM
Programming Skills??
I've always wondered where all of you great developers learned programming?!
I mean, did you all study informatics or stuff or how did you get into that incredibly complex topic?

I'd really like to hear your stories if you don't mind.O_O
Btw. I'm holding all of you in highest regard!

GT-I9300 | rooted | stock international 4.1.2 | overclocked on SiyahKernel s3-v1.9.1 (1,6 GHZ)|
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-01-2013, 06:18 PM (This post was last modified: 06-01-2013 06:21 PM by Afinda.)
RE: Programming Skills??
While i'm still pretty much a novice at Programming(Began learning how to Program just recently with a Book my Dad gave me) i can tell you that it's nothing as magical as it may seem to be, there's far more crazy stuff out there lol Tongue

As far as i am Concerned, like i already said, i started learning how to Program just recently. However over the course of my "life" i had various occasions when i've been intrested in "How" to do things. The first was learning how to create Websites (HTML) when i was around 14/15 years old. That eventually led me to come across php at some point starting to learn something rather similar to most programming languages (the way things are done). I also picked Informatics as elective class in School where we later on got into programming with BASIC.

After that it was more or less a matter of Intrest "every now and then". Taking a look at Virtual Basic and eventually dropping it. Picking up C, droping it. Scriping a little in c# (scriping as in for server emulation). After having found PPSSPP i decided to start learning C# and see it through/stick to it, for the sake of being able to programm something as amazing as an Emulator sometime in the future. Looking at the PPSSPP code i pretty much can tell what it does and how it does it, probably even could implement something by myself if i took my time to pile up enough information resources and get into the code i think.

If you really want to learn Programming, if you really want it. You can do it. It all depends on yourself. Though i'd recommend doing it by reading a good Book so you can go at your own pace and jump back/forth in chapters for cross reference or if you forgot something. Having played Half-Life (one of the first cool games i played) when it came out 1998 i thought "How can i create something as cool as this, how to make these Environments, weapons?". Now i'm able to Map and Model for basicly any Game either an Leveleditor is avaiable for or a Plugin to convert the models to (ANY Game). You just gotta want to know "How".
06-01-2013, 11:07 PM
A good book ummm...
I don't good writing english but i know how to read it (weird T_T)

Programming maybe interesting me a bit.
So the main is read a book ? Maybe you can recommeded us some book Smile?

I worse write english so take easy on me
(even my own language realy bad T_T)

Rig to test now :
Windows 8 64 bit (Laptop)
Intel® Core™ i3-3110M (2.4GHz, 3MB L3 Cache)
Nvidia GT720M 2GB
06-02-2013, 04:28 AM
start with c++ language maybe... Tongue
06-02-2013, 04:31 AM
(06-01-2013 11:07 PM)Ritori Wrote:  A good book ummm...
I don't good writing english but i know how to read it (weird T_T)

Programming maybe interesting me a bit.
So the main is read a book ? Maybe you can recommeded us some book Smile?

I'm german and the author is too and it seems there have been no translations of the book. However i think about any book is good for starting out (of course introductionary/beginner books). What's important is that it has a steady pace to it and "good" explanations (what's doing what and what is it most commonly used for) so you kind of gain a natural understanding of it as you keep learning.
06-02-2013, 11:52 AM
I learned to code by coding.

But if you're wondering where I learned to make emus, here's the original article (old!) that explained the concept to me:

http://fms.komkon.org/EMUL8/HOWTO.html
06-02-2013, 01:13 PM
(06-02-2013 11:52 AM)Henrik Wrote:  I learned to code by coding.

But if you're wondering where I learned to make emus, here's the original article (old!) that explained the concept to me:

nice one
right now i'm still learning c language with borland c++ n i'm kinda confused with array Undecided
06-02-2013, 01:20 PM
(06-02-2013 11:52 AM)Henrik Wrote:  I learned to code by coding.

This link is very interesting, thanks Wink

♦ Intel Core i7-6700HQ | 16 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M | Debian Testing
♦ Intel Core i7-2630QM | 4 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M | Debian Testing
♦ PSP-3004 | 6.60 PRO-C2
06-02-2013, 06:24 PM
Wow, that's both pretty impressive and interesting!
Wouldn't mind to hear some more stories ; )
But don't understand this question wrong: I myself am not interested in learning to code or something. I'm rather an artist than a develloper but it's really interesting for me to see how you guys proceeded.

GT-I9300 | rooted | stock international 4.1.2 | overclocked on SiyahKernel s3-v1.9.1 (1,6 GHZ)|
06-02-2013, 07:05 PM
I learned programming just because I happened to find it and it was interesting. It excited me to be able to make something work the way I wanted, and be able to see the results of my labor so quickly.

In contrast, buildings, sculpture, electronics, machines... it's a lot more set up and a lot longer before you actually see it doing things. Even with programming it can sometimes take time to set everything up, but for me being able to "experience" each step is huge.

In contrast, I couldn't draw a decent stick figure if my life depended on it. I can sometimes picture what I want something to look like, and it may look great in my head... but if I try to draw it, it just won't happen.

But really, programming is an art (or at least, I think so.) You study the old masters, you pick up some theory in some way, but mostly - you do it. That's how you learn.

-[Unknown]
06-10-2013, 01:27 PM
how much time did it take to dominate C/C++?

I don't exist anymore, no use calling a dead person
06-10-2013, 04:52 PM
(06-10-2013 01:27 PM)arg274 Wrote:  how much time did it take to dominate C/C++?

I think it really depends on your motivation ! Wink

♦ Intel Core i7-6700HQ | 16 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M | Debian Testing
♦ Intel Core i7-2630QM | 4 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M | Debian Testing
♦ PSP-3004 | 6.60 PRO-C2
06-10-2013, 11:30 PM
(06-10-2013 01:27 PM)arg274 Wrote:  how much time did it take to dominate C/C++?

I'll be able to answer that question once I have.

-[Unknown]
06-11-2013, 12:14 AM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2013 04:31 AM by cloud1250000.)
Dominate c/c++?

well... it's a big and flexible language... you learn parts that you want to learn ahah

There is always the possibility that some guys may just pop out of no where and teach you new way to do thing...

Hey everybody, tired of the way games are reported here? look here ->> http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=5901

--Current Mobile device--
Htc one, Xplay, Walkman z, Samsung ace IIx (crap)

--Current Computer--
1x (e8200, shitty ram (3go), 9600gt)
1x (e6750, better ram (2go), no video card)
1x (i5-3210M, ram (4Go),650M)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-11-2013, 01:55 AM
(06-11-2013 12:14 AM)cloud1250000 Wrote:  Dominate c/c++?

well... it's a big and flexible language... you learn parts that you want to learn ahah

There is always the possibility that some guys may just pop out of no where and teach you new way to do thing... ahah

why do u keep saying 'ahah' in most of ur posts.u should debug it.

I don't exist anymore, no use calling a dead person