Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Andriod - only 1 core ?
04-28-2013, 07:24 AM (This post was last modified: 04-29-2013 01:33 PM by livisor.)
Andriod - only 1 core ?
Hi, anyone have problem with android version, when its using only one core ?

i this, if ppsspp could use more core = better performance = much fps ...

so why dont using it ? any fix ?

Xperia T
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-28-2013, 09:26 AM
RE: Andorid - only 1 core ?
Henrik said it will be added as soon as more important matters are cleared, as multi threading isn't worth the hassle for now
04-28-2013, 07:08 PM
Multithreading it will be one hell of a task and will break a lot of things initially, since the PSP uses only one core itself.
This is not what we want right now.

Windows 7 x64: Intel Core i5 4570 @3.6 Ghz, ATI Radeon HD 7870
Android 4.4.2 (CM11): Samsung Galaxy S3 @ 4x1.6 Ghz CPU, 600Mhz GPU
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-28-2013, 07:34 PM
It will added when the emulator is stable, or almost.

Phones: Poco F3 8GB/256GB (Snapdragon 870 5G) and Redmi Note 6 Pro 4/64GB (Snapdragon 636)

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 / 16GB RAM DDR4 3600MHz / NVIDIA GTX 1660 Ti 6GB / Windows 10 Pro
04-28-2013, 09:42 PM
Thanks for the confirmation fellas, some extremely CPU heavy games like God of War (low FPS even on the PC, and definitely on the phones) could benefit from multithreading.

PPSSPP Modern Testbed:-
Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.0 GHz
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 760 2GB GDDR5 VRAM @ 1138/6500 Mhz
16 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1600 MHz
Windows 7 x64 SP1

PPSSPP Ancient Testing Rig:-
Intel Core 2 Duo T9550 @ 2.8GHz
ATI Mobility Radeon 4670 1GB GDDR3 VRAM @ 843/882 MHz
8 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1066 MHz
Windows 7 x64 SP1
04-28-2013, 10:14 PM
On the other hand, havinf two cores actives makes the emu run faster, tested on my phone.

I guess it's because one of the cores goes with the background processing and the other is totally dedicated for the emulator, at least I think so.

-Samsung galaxy S3 International version - Android 4.4.2
-Dual Core locked CPU, Clocked at 1Ghz-1.8Ghz
-Mali 400MP4 GPU Clocked from 160Mhz to 533Mhz
-1GB ram, boo..
04-28-2013, 11:08 PM
Yea and the latest phones are now quad-core (like mine) so using all 4 would be great for us
04-28-2013, 11:17 PM (This post was last modified: 04-28-2013 11:19 PM by [Unknown].)
(04-28-2013 09:42 PM)solarmystic Wrote:  Thanks for the confirmation fellas, some extremely CPU heavy games like God of War (low FPS even on the PC, and definitely on the phones) could benefit from multithreading.

It depends. If it's really a CPU heavy game it won't benefit at all from multithreading. We can't make the game run on two separate threads at once, it'll break. PSP games weren't written for that because the PSP can't do that.

It's like if you drove your car to an airport and complained about the traffic. The people there say, "no problem, let's launch it into the sky." They may not be worried about the fact that your car doesn't have wings or a jet engine, or even more importantly landing gear. Doesn't mean it won't crash. Games written for multithreading have landing gear.

Multithreading will really only help games that are not anything heavy. Where both the GPU emulation and CPU emulation are doing similar amounts of work. We should be able to put each on a separate core to work (mostly) at the same time.

But if a game is totally limited by one or the other, it'll be in basically the same boat it's in now even with multithreading.

-[Unknown]
04-29-2013, 12:23 AM (This post was last modified: 04-29-2013 12:28 AM by VIRGIN KLM.)
(04-28-2013 11:17 PM)[Unknown] Wrote:  
(04-28-2013 09:42 PM)solarmystic Wrote:  Thanks for the confirmation fellas, some extremely CPU heavy games like God of War (low FPS even on the PC, and definitely on the phones) could benefit from multithreading.

It depends. If it's really a CPU heavy game it won't benefit at all from multithreading. We can't make the game run on two separate threads at once, it'll break. PSP games weren't written for that because the PSP can't do that.

It's like if you drove your car to an airport and complained about the traffic. The people there say, "no problem, let's launch it into the sky." They may not be worried about the fact that your car doesn't have wings or a jet engine, or even more importantly landing gear. Doesn't mean it won't crash. Games written for multithreading have landing gear.

Multithreading will really only help games that are not anything heavy. Where both the GPU emulation and CPU emulation are doing similar amounts of work. We should be able to put each on a separate core to work (mostly) at the same time.

But if a game is totally limited by one or the other, it'll be in basically the same boat it's in now even with multithreading.

-[Unknown]

Wouldn't though PPSSPP get great speed boost if it gets support/optimizations for more instruction sets and different and newer frontends/APIs?
Also wouldn't PPSSPP get some speedup if you'd give some tasks to a different core to process that have little to do with stuff that are related to core emulation? (like let's say a potential audio interpolator)
04-29-2013, 12:30 AM
(04-29-2013 12:23 AM)VIRGIN KLM Wrote:  Wouldn't though PPSSPP get great speed boost if it gets support/optimizations for more instruction sets and different and newer frontends/APIs?

Like SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1, 4.2 or AVX support?

I think there's a lot more speed to be obtained from compiler optimizations in Windows. Unless of course it's already been integrated into the Orphis builds, and I'm not aware of it.

PPSSPP Modern Testbed:-
Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.0 GHz
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 760 2GB GDDR5 VRAM @ 1138/6500 Mhz
16 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1600 MHz
Windows 7 x64 SP1

PPSSPP Ancient Testing Rig:-
Intel Core 2 Duo T9550 @ 2.8GHz
ATI Mobility Radeon 4670 1GB GDDR3 VRAM @ 843/882 MHz
8 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1066 MHz
Windows 7 x64 SP1
04-29-2013, 12:30 AM
Right, definitely. There are a ton of optimizations left to do, aside from multithreading. I just did one today.. or a few, actually.

-[Unknown]
04-29-2013, 12:39 AM
(04-29-2013 12:30 AM)solarmystic Wrote:  Like SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1, 4.2 or AVX support?

I think there's a lot more speed to be obtained from compiler optimizations in Windows. Unless of course it's already been integrated into the Orphis builds, and I'm not aware of it.
Yeah, that's what I meant, ARM have their own too that could get benefited aswell. I believe Orphis builds are only SSE2 which is also the minimum, I'm pretty sure PPSSPP would benefit alot from those instruction sets, especially in case you would turn off Hardware Transform (AVX).

(04-29-2013 12:30 AM)[Unknown] Wrote:  Right, definitely. There are a ton of optimizations left to do, aside from multithreading. I just did one today.. or a few, actually.

-[Unknown]
Yeah, that's great job! I'm not usre about the idea of pure multithreading as it would need HUGE change in the core of the emulator but stuff like extra instruction sets should be something that you'd once implement it you don't have to iron out anything anymore and you just go on with development since its transparent between versions.
04-29-2013, 11:18 AM
I got one question regarding the multithreading of the main core. Would it be just ineffective to split it into, say, 2 threads, because the timing is so tight and such, or would it just break the whole thing, because its impossible to do correctly?
Im not asking someone to do this, just wondering if it would be possible theoretically.

Windows 7 x64: Intel Core i5 4570 @3.6 Ghz, ATI Radeon HD 7870
Android 4.4.2 (CM11): Samsung Galaxy S3 @ 4x1.6 Ghz CPU, 600Mhz GPU
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-29-2013, 12:28 PM
so if ppsspp using multicore, games will be lags more ? i dont know, but when i tried Dolphin emu on PC with 2Cores, and then on 4Core, games runs better and dont be optimised for multicore (GC and Wii games) too...
10-04-2013, 07:04 AM
RE: Andriod - only 1 core ?
Is it possible to start an run ppsspp on a unused core seperate to the android OS? would there even be any benefit doing so? less bottlenecking?,
maybe have audio and input running on separate cores too.

eg: Quad core setup
1: Android OS, Background Apps
2: PPSSPP, Background Apps
3: PPSSPP - Input, I've never seen any background running apps use the 3rd core only the 1 & 2nd core, maybe apps jump to the next core depending on the amount of apps you have running idk i'm not that familiar with android, I always kill them with a task manager before gaming anyway.
4: PPSSPP - Audio

also are geometry calculations done by cpu then passed onto the gpu to process before outputting to the screen or is it all soley done by the gpu?