Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Some ideas and requests for developers
02-07-2018, 02:42 AM (This post was last modified: 02-07-2018 02:53 AM by aeromet.)
Some ideas and requests for developers
Hello developers!

I never had a psp, and with games from this console I got acquainted with this emulator. But I saw that in the console for games there is a plug-in 3d anaglyph video. In the emulator pssssp there are settings for google cardbox, but I thought it would be nice to make such a shader as anaglyph 3d. If it is certainly possible. I think it's good.

And yet it is a request, Using the emulator often have to go into the settings and customize the game. For example, switch from the rendering buffer to a non-buffer rendering, add or remove a frame-clip, change the resolution, etc. It's not very convenient. If possible, please make a panel with the most desired settings that will be displayed on top of the screen with the game A similar panel is available in the ePSXe emulator when configuring the OpenGL plugin.
(Settings are displayed in the panel on top of the screen with games)

I hope my theme will be useful for the development of the emulator pssssp, I wish successes in the development, thank you very much.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-07-2018, 04:55 AM
RE: Some ideas and requests for developers
Umm...... But there already is menu for that.

Everything is Hitsuzen!
02-07-2018, 07:15 AM
(02-07-2018 04:55 AM)Asferot Wrote:  Umm...... But there already is menu for that.
yes, there is a menu with settings, but you understand when you need to configure the game, you have to constantly go to the menu, there's something to press and then go out of the menu and see how it works ..... And now imagine you turned on the game and on the screen on top of the game there is a small button (buffer rendering) for example - it was pressed - the buffer is rendered, again pressed - the buffer turned off. and so with other basic settings. It's very very convenient, I hope you understand about my idea
02-07-2018, 07:21 AM
To be honest it would make GUI really cluttered. Because in most PSP games screen is already cluttered as is.

Everything is Hitsuzen!
02-07-2018, 07:53 AM
(02-07-2018 07:21 AM)Asferot Wrote:  To be honest it would make GUI really cluttered. Because in most PSP games screen is already cluttered as is.
Excuse me, did you use the emulator ePSXe? There if you have an OpenGL plug-in installed, you can during the game, click on the button and a small panel of games screen with games is displayed, on which there are a lot of buttons, and you can press the buttons to see what happened in real time. This panel will not clutter anything at all.
02-11-2018, 04:13 AM (This post was last modified: 02-11-2018 04:14 AM by [Unknown].)
There are other emulators with bad UX. That's not an argument for why PPSSPP should have bad UX.

When playing PPSSPP games, I almost never change settings. It's only when I'm debugging bugs or adding features that I do, really.

A better question: what bugs or flaws in PPSSP are motivating you to constantly use the speedhack of disabling buffered rendering? What needs to be fixed so you don't have to switch rendering resolution all the time?

Maybe I'm just a different kind of gamer. I enjoy the games, not fiddling with the settings.

As for 3d anaglyph - I think it sounds like a worthwhile feature, but I'm not personally interested in it. But I did want to mention that the cardboard feature does a different thing - it's just a projected screen. More of a novelty really, IMHO.

There's another project that tries to do real VR - ppsspp-vr, but it hasn't been updated in about 2 years and involved some pretty ugly hacks from a code perspective. I hear it worked, at least for some games, though. Have never tried it.

-[Unknown]
02-11-2018, 07:47 AM (This post was last modified: 02-11-2018 07:51 AM by Dukatti.)
Easy =D

99% it's because of trying to achieve enhansed graphics
[when you change a thing and wanna see an effect immediately]

On Windows there is a way - to make ppsspp scaled to fullscreen with mouse or with "win"+"up"
and after that
experimenting with setting through standard Menu Bar
[not settings with "Esc"]

There is also difficult way - to record with WebCam, extradevices, recording software,
try every setting and see final video result.
02-11-2018, 09:18 AM
How many times do you tweak it...?

I tweak my emulator once and almost never touch the setting again. Its not like you need to tweak 60 different settings for every game/every time you launch the prog.

Everything is Hitsuzen!
02-11-2018, 01:36 PM
PPSSPP doesn't have tons of options to "enhance graphics". There are only a few which are very easy to understand and does not need constant switching on/off to see which was better.

Internal resolution:
Will cause glitches in many games, some of which can be fixed via "reduce resolution for effects" hack, some others might be reduced by use of texture scaling which results also require increased rendering res to begin with, will also affect some post process shaders, overall abused option to make graphics "sharper" not always as great as people advertise since old games are often too plain looking without "texture" added by low res.

Texture scaling:
Standard xBRZ is the only fast method it's also clearest, most other methods are just adding effects to it some of which might be counter-productive and extremely heavy, will commonly cause stutter when loading new textures, artistically hated by many people, so while some praise it as best thing ever, others never use it or use it only in limited selection of games, sometimes even only to reduce glitches caused by increased rendering resolution.

Post process shaders:
Might be used for downscaling(using render res above display resolution is good here), for upscaling(render resolution doesn't matter for those, will always be forced to x1) or changing colors and stuff like adding ugly artifacts or animations on top of the displayed game.

Reduce resolution for effects:
Hack which in most cases will be safe to kept on Balanced setting, improves effects like bloom or blur which look broken above x1 render res, unfortunately it's very simple and detects those effects only in some games.

Texture replacement:
Totally depends on user replacing textures, isn't better or worse, by default it's activated, but does nothing.

Everything else is either already "best" at it's default like bezier/spline curves(which are definitely better from hardware tesselation;p) or doesn't enhance anything.

Most settings are soo rarely useful or even soo completely useless for typical PC user that in my personal windows builds used for playing games I actually hide majority of them completely;p. Also many settings will not take immediate effect on game like block transfers and disabling such features will break games even when looking unchanged at first.

Either way PPSSPP will not turn into PSX emu plugin just because someone feel like it's his ultimate setting experience;p. We at most could add hotkeys to some settings disabled/not mapped by default, but even that's probably not going to happen as it could trigger some awful gpu driver bugs and other things as many options should not be constantly switched and there are always tons of people who get confused/overwhelmed by too many options and PPSSPP already has too many things.

http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=6594 - Custom PPSSPP Shaders!
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=3590&pid=117172#pid117172 - simple CE scripts to help creating CWCheats,
https://github.com/LunaMoo/PPSSPP_workarounds - CWCheat workarounds.
02-11-2018, 03:35 PM (This post was last modified: 02-11-2018 04:06 PM by aeromet.)
(02-11-2018 04:13 AM)[Unknown] Wrote:  A better question: what bugs or flaws in PPSSP are motivating you to constantly use the speedhack of disabling buffered rendering? What needs to be fixed so you don't have to switch rendering resolution all the time?

-[Unknown]
I for example wrote about the settings of the buffer rendering. there are some other settings that I constantly turn on or off because I have a weak device - Lenovo a889 1300 MHz mali 400.
Buffer rendering, adding and decreasing frame-frame, viewing in real time how the graphics change when you include certain shaders, rendering permission,even a hack timer, and some other settings, all this would be convenient to switch without leaving the screen .... I do not know ... I think that many would have liked it.

(02-11-2018 04:13 AM)[Unknown] Wrote:  As for 3d anaglyph - I think it sounds like a worthwhile feature

-[Unknown]
Well, here) I just offered an innovation, I want the emulator to be even better. This function is of interest to me. Yes, looking at the monitor through anaglyph glasses is tiring for the eyes, but who did the same thing on the real console, and it had its users.

Another request.

I often play shooters and I want to note that on a touch screen with control like in the original console it's very inconvenient. For example, to play modern kombat or other similar games is convenient, but in the emulator, control is possible only with buttons on the screen (for example, if you have to look to the right to the left downwards upwards - respectively, the buttons are square circle triangle and cross) it is not convenient .... Is it possible to do so that the action of the buttons square circle of the triangle and the cross would be possible to push through the touch screen for example left (square) - svayp on the screen to the left, down (cross) svayp on the screen down, etc. I hope you understand what I mean? Well, to control the review in the game was like in games like modern kombat.
It would be very very very comfortable when you play shooters.
02-11-2018, 06:25 PM (This post was last modified: 02-11-2018 06:34 PM by Dukatti.)
aeromet,
how about something like that? Overlayed buttons should actually feel like swipe
[in attachment]

LunaMoo,
thx, you opened my eyes T o T
Always skipped option "lower resolution for effects".

Set it to balanced. It requires filtering, but games looks much greater then before

[Speedhacks sometimes hiding secret gems
not only "speed over accuracy". Should remember.]

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

02-12-2018, 02:21 PM
(02-11-2018 06:25 PM)Dukatti Wrote:  aeromet,
how about something like that? Overlayed buttons should actually feel like swipe

I did not understand you. Did you play modern kombat? On the PC in this game, you control the mouse (review in the game), and on the touch screen - by dragging your finger to the desired side on the touch screen.

I hope you understand what I want to explain?

So, can not you do so

Ok, there is control in the game accelerometer, compass, gyro, gravity sensor, light sensor, etc.

Just do not write that you do not understand me.
I suggest that in the management of the emulator done so that you can manage the review in the game as I described above.
02-12-2018, 05:55 PM
aeromet,
dragging with finger is another thing then swiping (:
It's ok, I did understand you.

I heard about what you want before.
Lots of people wanted Mouse control in Metroid game series for dolphin emulator.
And it seems that through time it was solved:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Metroid/comment...phin_with/
02-17-2018, 09:06 AM
(02-12-2018 05:55 PM)Dukatti Wrote:  aeromet,

I heard about what you want before.
I do not know what to say .... I did not understand. Today I played Call of Duty, well, it's really inconvenient to control the review with the buttons on the screen .... And it would be svayp on the screen - that's fine.