Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Emulator VS PS1 games (EBOOT.PBP)
01-21-2018, 02:24 PM
Emulator VS PS1 games (EBOOT.PBP)
Hello guys,

Is it possible to run games from PS1 converted (file EBOOT.PBP)?
I have tried but I could not. Says it's not supported.

Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-21-2018, 02:29 PM
RE: Emulator VS PS1 games (EBOOT.PBP)
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?...#pid129911

-[Unknown]
01-21-2018, 03:17 PM
Why would you even want that? There are great PS1 emulators out there that can run even on broken toasters.

Everything is Hitsuzen!
01-23-2018, 12:31 PM
(01-21-2018 03:17 PM)Asferot Wrote:  Why would you even want that? There are great PS1 emulators out there that can run even on broken toasters.
If you own a PS1(EBOOT.PBP) game for PSP, you can't use it with any PS1 emulators as far as I know. And you may like PPSSPP better than regular PS1 emulators.
01-23-2018, 01:37 PM
His point still stands. There are PS1 emulators far better than PPSSPP in terms of emulating PS1.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-23-2018, 02:20 PM
(01-23-2018 12:31 PM)FOPSP Wrote:  
(01-21-2018 03:17 PM)Asferot Wrote:  Why would you even want that? There are great PS1 emulators out there that can run even on broken toasters.
If you own a PS1(EBOOT.PBP) game for PSP, you can't use it with any PS1 emulators as far as I know. And you may like PPSSPP better than regular PS1 emulators.

...eboot.pbp is just a format. There are tools to convert it back to a normal .ISO that can be used with PS1 emulators.

Everything is Hitsuzen!
01-23-2018, 03:45 PM (This post was last modified: 01-23-2018 06:12 PM by fivefeet8.)
(01-23-2018 02:20 PM)Asferot Wrote:  ...eboot.pbp is just a format. There are tools to convert it back to a normal .ISO that can be used with PS1 emulators.

Both ePSXe and FPse have supported eboot files for a while now.
01-27-2018, 04:25 PM

That's not correct. I can confirm that both ePSXe and FPSe support PS1 eboot files. The same ps1 eboot files I made for my old PSP(from games I owned of course), worked on those two emulators.
01-29-2018, 12:41 PM (This post was last modified: 01-29-2018 07:32 PM by FOPSP.)
(01-27-2018 04:25 PM)LG Fanatic Wrote:  

That's not correct. I can confirm that both ePSXe and FPSe support PS1 eboot files. The same ps1 eboot files I made for my old PSP(from games I owned of course), worked on those two emulators.
It might be different for games you converted to PBP format yourself, but the PSstore games I copied from my PSP don't work in ePSXe.

EDIT: I converted one of my PS1 games and it did boot as an eboot.pbp file in ePSXe. So it clearly does not work specifically with PSstore games, which was my point.
01-29-2018, 09:24 PM
Then you should request/fix that at PS1 emulator of your choice as that's their issue of not supporting official Sony's container for PS1 games which their users wish to use. Or just decrypt/extract those games and use in emulators which developers doesn't care about supporting official formats;p.

PPSSPP supports all kinds of PBP files it doesn't matter if they're PS Store, converted commercial games or homebrew(it even has no problems with 6.61 specific PBP files that doesn't work on 6.60 firmware), but only of PSP format, no amount of discussion or begging will ever change the fact that PPSSPP is high level PSP emulator and can't and never will be able to run PS1 games, if people wish to waste time on such discussions/begging threads, they should do it at PS1 emulation forums where it at least has sense and a chance of being heard.

http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=6594 - Custom PPSSPP Shaders!
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=3590&pid=117172#pid117172 - simple CE scripts to help creating CWCheats,
https://github.com/LunaMoo/PPSSPP_workarounds - CWCheat workarounds.
01-29-2018, 11:01 PM
(01-29-2018 12:41 PM)FOPSP Wrote:  It might be different for games you converted to PBP format yourself, but the PSstore games I copied from my PSP don't work in ePSXe.

EDIT: I converted one of my PS1 games and it did boot as an eboot.pbp file in ePSXe. So it clearly does not work specifically with PSstore games, which was my point.

If you're passionate enough, there are tools to extract the actual ISO's from the original PSstore eboot. Then you can eboot them back to play in the PS1 emulators that support eboot files.
02-02-2018, 10:46 AM
(01-29-2018 11:01 PM)fivefeet8 Wrote:  
(01-29-2018 12:41 PM)FOPSP Wrote:  It might be different for games you converted to PBP format yourself, but the PSstore games I copied from my PSP don't work in ePSXe.

If you're passionate enough, there are tools to extract the actual ISO's from the original PSstore eboot. Then you can eboot them back to play in the PS1 emulators that support eboot files.
Which tool? I only ever found one and it didn't work. If there is one that works I'd very much like to know.
02-02-2018, 01:54 PM
i just want to trow my two cents into this
for me its stupid to emulate 1 thing to emulate another to play other thing
its pain for me to install virtual box just to launch some old windows 95 games
but i dont have any other option if i want to play them
but in this case i have
i can use epsxe or pcsx-r to play ps1 games

but i would love idea of ppsspp running ps1 games since it would be much less to configure
and most of all easier/faster changing settings

now if i want on pcsx-r change video resolution or change shader/filter i need to:
1. close emulator
2. launch it again
3. change what ever i want
4. launch game
5. check if settings are ok with me
6. decide do i stay with that or need to go trough whole process again

on ppsspp i would be able to do that on the fly
also throttle for fast game progression is much more easier to use on ppsspp
and to sum it all i would prefer to have 1 emulator for 2 systems (best example visual boy advance or kega fusion)

so in the long run ppsspp running ps1 games is not a bad idea just because there exist ps1 emulators

about eboot and iso stuff

i do remember i was struggling with converting pso1 isos into eboot using Simple Popstation GUI to launch them on psp but in the process i accidentally removed some isos and then i realized Simple Popstation GUI have option to extract iso out from eboot

[Image: Simple_Popstation_GUI_3_beta.PNG]

counting from the top its 4th button
or as you prefer between field for selecting iso and field for selecting output folder

and well it works

also i dont exactly remember why but i do remember that because it was better at something i switched from epsxe to pcsx-r

and for sure 1 thing i remember was that pcsx-r did in fact launch .PBP files
which was easier for me to convert to eboots for playing them on real psp

btw epsx and pcsx-r looks like a clones of them self so dont be afraid to try
good luck

Try AntiMicro graphical program used to map keyboard keys and mouse controls to a gamepad/controller.
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=12513
or http://www.x360ce.com
02-02-2018, 11:28 PM
To extract PSOne classics you have to use software like psxtract(use VS2017 community edition to update project files and build it), no software made to create/edit fan made PSOne eboot.pbp files will never work since it's different format from what Sony uses for ps1 classics.
I think Sony makes use of lossy compression to store CD audio which might be why there's little interest in PSOne Classic format of PBP in PSOne emulation, not only some might claim the quality loss is noticeable for them, emulators would have to support additional way of playing audio and PSOne emulation isn't really active.

Also to make it clear, for those that still don't understand it - PSP never could run PSOne games. POPS was doing it, PPSSPP will never have POPS, it would need a new PSOne emu and you can be sure of 2 things:
- it would be easier to add support to new format to existing emus than writing new emu from zero and then still having to add that format to it;p,
- nobody cares about creating new PSOne emu with dozens already in existence.
And a honorable mention - PSOne emulator running booting games under PPSSPP ui would not have access to PPSSPP features nor it's optimizations, it could as well run like shit, require plugins and doesn't allow any scaling, it would all depend on it's author and it's pretty clear that no PPSSPP dev is interested in writing PSOne emulator as the whole idea got a quite a few NO's in the past.

http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=6594 - Custom PPSSPP Shaders!
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=3590&pid=117172#pid117172 - simple CE scripts to help creating CWCheats,
https://github.com/LunaMoo/PPSSPP_workarounds - CWCheat workarounds.
02-03-2018, 01:10 PM
(02-02-2018 11:28 PM)LunaMoo Wrote:  To extract PSOne classics you have to use software like psxtract
Thanks. That one actually works! It does need to be run as administrator, otherwise it will crash :/. One of my games didn't work with it, but the others up and running in ePSXe.