Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 5 Average
Persona 3 Portable HD Texture Pack (WIP) - Update (2019-02-03)
12-27-2017, 02:31 AM
RE: Persona 3 Portable HD Texture Pack (WIP) - Update (2017-12-25)
(12-26-2017 04:55 PM)MorrisonGamer Wrote:  Yep! I just noticed that you threw a upscaled version from PS2 on her character info. Even if it doesn't look that good compared to FemMC, it is still better than a substitute image! You're doing a great job man, this is awesome!

EDIT: By the way, I was playing around with trying to put some textures on Birth by Sleep, mostly copy paste to waifu2x and then replaced with the usual Hashes thing, and interesting enough, whenever you change 'levels' the textures don't work anymore, only if you return to that level, which doesn't seem to be the case for the game's Main Menu.

I've compilated some screenshots of stuff I've did, if you wanna check out. But this is really weird behaviour.

https://pastebin.com/ceTZJWB4

And if you wish to try the pack to test the behaviour, here. Until I find a way to fix this problem throught every world, cutscene and menu, I don't think I can continue.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/a3nw...JM05775.7z

Hi! As I explained earlier, some textures have some garbage in the lower half, that seems kind of random, at least for ppsspp, and so, many versions of the same texture get downloaded into your "new" folder, with different names, since the name for the texture is composed of Address+CLUT+Hash (which changes because of that lower half).

Ventus's Portrait in the HUD is one of those strange textures. And so, to be able to replace every possible version of Ventus's Portrait in the HUD with a single line, you have to specify it in the textures.ini ignoring the hash part of the name. To do so, you should replace your line:

0920ceb0918d8370213df69c = HUD/Ventus HUD Portrait.png

With:

0920ceb0918d837000000000 = HUD/Ventus HUD Portrait.png

(12-19-2017 03:13 PM)hououin_kyouma Wrote:  
(12-06-2017 06:29 PM)MorrisonGamer Wrote:  Outside of the fonts, and the pixelated edges on a few items on the HUD, this looks really close to the HD Remaster :o
I'll fully support it if you ever decide in the future to do it, that'd give one more reason to replay the game again!

EDIT: By the way, how do you do it, to make the textures work on the game? I tried upscaling some for birth by sleep, but it didn't work sadly. I may try making it myself, and release a pack fully with hidef textures.

EDIT 2: And if you need someone to help you complete THIS pack, count on me! I just need to learn.

The problem with the textures in Birth by Sleep (and many other games) is that some of them get dumped with some wierd noice in the lower part, which ends up generating different copies of the same texture, with different names, since the name for the texture is actually a concatenation of this things: Address (bits 1-8) + CLUT (bits 9-16) + Data Hash (bits 17-24). Since the noice in the lower part changes, the Data Hash also changes, generating another texture, since that new texture has a name that no other has. That way, even if you replace the one you first found, the next time you play, the game will probably generate a slightly different one, with a diffferent Data Hash, and ppsspp will not replace it.

For textures like that I had to ignore the Data Hash part of the texture name like so:
0000000041f1852200000000 = Font/0000000041f1852200000000.png

The CLUT didn't change so I used that to identify those textures. I also ignored the address, but I don't remember if that was needed this time, I just always do it now (because it can change sometimes).

You ignore parts of the name (like the address or the data hash), by placing 8 cero's in that part of the name.

Example:
To ignore the Address you put 8 cero's instead of the bits 1-8.
0000000041f1852254561134 = font.png
To ignore the CLUT you put 8 cero's instead of the bits 9-16.
768413640000000054561134 = font.png
To ignore the Hash Data you put 8 cero's instead of the bits 17-24.
7684136441f1852200000000 = font.png

Persona 3 Portable HD Texture Pack:
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=23509
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-27-2017, 03:51 AM
If the texture is always at the same place, you're much better off setting a hash range so it hashes less, and using that texture hash, rather than completely ignoring the hash.

For example, suppose there is a 512x512 texture, where only 480x272 of it is actually useful. Let's say it's at address 0920ceb0. You would use:

0x0920ceb0,512,512 = 480,272

This tells PPSSPP that the texture found at 0x0920ceb0, when specified by the game as 512x512, is actually 480x272. It will hash only the 480x272 part of the texture, so you'll need to view the scene again so it can generate a new file, which will have the new texture hash as its name.

Make sure to change the size of the replaced texture to 480x272 too (which should be how it saves it too.)

To explain why this is better and why the bottom half of textures seems to have weird data:

The PSP hardware only allowed textures with sizes that were powers of 2. So 256 and 512 are options, but nothing in between. That means a 272 tall texture is impossible - you have to use 512 tall.

But, this quickly wastes a lot of memory. The PSP only had 2 MB (yes, really) of video memory. The wasted space for a 512x512 texture would be 480 KB - which seems tiny, but that's 24% of the VRAM. That's so much, it makes sense to use tricks to avoid wasting that extra space completely. So it puts other textures there, overlapping each other - or maybe even other data.

Unfortunately, PPSSPP doesn't know what part of the texture is really important - it has some heuristics to guess, but most of the time it has to play it safe and assume the whole texture is important.

If you can tell PPSSPP the real size, it will be able to manage textures and memory smarter, which is more important when your textures are HD versions. Without this information, every time the texture hash changes - it still changes, even if you use 00000000 to ignore it - it has to recreate the texture from scratch. This can make it use more PC VRAM and could even run slower on less powerful computers.

Unfortunately - this trick only works when you know the texture is always at the same address.

-[Unknown]
12-30-2017, 10:29 PM (This post was last modified: 01-01-2018 02:34 AM by AkiraJkr.)
I've figured out how to make everything work, and I began working for now to simply upscale EVERYTHING that can be important(or very visibly noticeable to be too pixelated/low quality, like Terra's Armor Switch). Icons, HUD, keyblades, main character models, font(which is the only thing I'll have to redraw), and then after all of that is done, I'll move on to begin redrawing with someone's help, but I don't plan on making a thread anytime soon, since this could take awhile to finish. But once I finish hashing and upscaling everything, I'll move on to rehashing, so it uses less memory, and redrawing. Thanks for the help [Unknown] and hououin_kyouma
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-06-2018, 08:10 PM
Man, this is great!
Thanks so much for this, it really makes the game so much better!

I play this on my Nvidia Shield TV so having high res textures makes an incredible difference.

It's a big ask but in the next update I'd rather see (more) updated characters textures (partymembers and socials links), like Akihiko, then have more Persona textures. We see the characters onscreen very often and Personas not as often
01-06-2018, 10:35 PM
(01-06-2018 08:10 PM)Crowmeister Wrote:  Man, this is great!
Thanks so much for this, it really makes the game so much better!

I play this on my Nvidia Shield TV so having high res textures makes an incredible difference.

It's a big ask but in the next update I'd rather see (more) updated characters textures (partymembers and socials links), like Akihiko, then have more Persona textures. We see the characters onscreen very often and Personas not as often

Glad you like it ^^ It is a very big task, but it is probably the most important one, along with the UI ^^ I have started drawing some of the characters, like Akihiko and Rioji, but they are so many that it's gonna take awhile XD I'll try to make some more of the main ones for the next update. Wink

01-09-2018, 08:22 PM
(12-27-2017 03:51 AM)[Unknown] Wrote:  If the texture is always at the same place, you're much better off setting a hash range so it hashes less, and using that texture hash, rather than completely ignoring the hash.

For example, suppose there is a 512x512 texture, where only 480x272 of it is actually useful. Let's say it's at address 0920ceb0. You would use:

0x0920ceb0,512,512 = 480,272

This tells PPSSPP that the texture found at 0x0920ceb0, when specified by the game as 512x512, is actually 480x272. It will hash only the 480x272 part of the texture, so you'll need to view the scene again so it can generate a new file, which will have the new texture hash as its name.

Make sure to change the size of the replaced texture to 480x272 too (which should be how it saves it too.)

To explain why this is better and why the bottom half of textures seems to have weird data:

The PSP hardware only allowed textures with sizes that were powers of 2. So 256 and 512 are options, but nothing in between. That means a 272 tall texture is impossible - you have to use 512 tall.

But, this quickly wastes a lot of memory. The PSP only had 2 MB (yes, really) of video memory. The wasted space for a 512x512 texture would be 480 KB - which seems tiny, but that's 24% of the VRAM. That's so much, it makes sense to use tricks to avoid wasting that extra space completely. So it puts other textures there, overlapping each other - or maybe even other data.

Unfortunately, PPSSPP doesn't know what part of the texture is really important - it has some heuristics to guess, but most of the time it has to play it safe and assume the whole texture is important.

If you can tell PPSSPP the real size, it will be able to manage textures and memory smarter, which is more important when your textures are HD versions. Without this information, every time the texture hash changes - it still changes, even if you use 00000000 to ignore it - it has to recreate the texture from scratch. This can make it use more PC VRAM and could even run slower on less powerful computers.

Unfortunately - this trick only works when you know the texture is always at the same address.

-[Unknown]

Hi! I decided to try that technique with some textures from Kingdom Hearts BBS, but it didn't work :/

I added these lines to a new textures.ini:

[options]
version = 1
hash = quick

[hashes]

0x09c0f4d0,512,512 = 492,160
0x08bc1890,64,128 = 64,72

And then revisited the screen where the textures appear, but the emulator didn't generate new files with those sizes :/ I tried deleting everything in the "new" folder, but nothing happened, it just created the same images over and over.

01-09-2018, 09:19 PM
Textures.ini file is divided like this:
Code:
[options]
<-- here goes all the options, some are required for the file to work.

[hashes]
<-- here go entries built from address, clut hash and texture hash assigned to image files.

[hashranges]
<-- here goes the feature [Unknown] was mentioning, it's really great, but also has great downside of depending on address being constant, which usually isn't the case for most textures.

When you try to activate features from wrong section(like above activating hashranges from hashes section), they will not work.

http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=6594 - Custom PPSSPP Shaders!
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=3590&pid=117172#pid117172 - simple CE scripts to help creating CWCheats,
https://github.com/LunaMoo/PPSSPP_workarounds - CWCheat workarounds.
01-09-2018, 11:09 PM
(01-09-2018 09:19 PM)LunaMoo Wrote:  Textures.ini file is divided like this:
Code:
[options]
<-- here goes all the options, some are required for the file to work.

[hashes]
<-- here go entries built from address, clut hash and texture hash assigned to image files.

[hashranges]
<-- here goes the feature [Unknown] was mentioning, it's really great, but also has great downside of depending on address being constant, which usually isn't the case for most textures.

When you try to activate features from wrong section(like above activating hashranges from hashes section), they will not work.

Thanks! I knew there had to be something wrong on my end, I just didn't notice that section.

01-11-2018, 12:27 PM
I am planning to let that go for now until I finish the textures and organize everythign the way I want, then I'll see if there is something I can do to improve the hashes. I don't know if it's because of the lack of VRAM, but I can't grab a few textures from BBS.
01-13-2018, 04:20 AM
It looks the same, but more blurry, nothing more
01-13-2018, 02:59 PM
(01-13-2018 04:20 AM)devilsgan Wrote:  It looks the same, but more blurry, nothing more

It must not be working for you :/ As reference, this is how it should look: Gallery

What version of ppsspp are you using? x64 OS?

I guess I should change the hash method, so that anyone can use it :/

01-14-2018, 02:55 PM
I'm using PPSSPP on Retroarch, how would I go about installing this?
01-14-2018, 06:35 PM
Use PPSSPP standalone. Retroarch will only give you a headache.

Extract the ULUSXXXX folder into memstick/PSP/TEXTURES folder.

After that, on the emulator, go to Settings ---> Tools ---> Developer tools and then enable Replace textures.

After that, make sure you put the resolution on something like 3X or higher, or you won't see any difference/or have a more pixelated experience than you should.
01-18-2018, 06:22 AM
Please update the new version of the game.
01-23-2018, 08:05 AM
Hiyas! Just chipping in to say keep the dream alive. Smile
Sadly I'm not bothering with the game at the moment until I buy a new phone that runs PPSSPP better than my current one. Until that time comes, hope to see the community continue with their modding projects.