Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
A question about makeing it easier for texture packs to be created
12-13-2016, 12:40 AM
A question about makeing it easier for texture packs to be created
would it make it easier for people to create texture packs if people started to post textures they have gotten from playing the game with the texture capture feature on. I ask because I relized that I left the feature on while I was playing a couple of games and thought maybe if I am not going to use them maybe someone else might.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-14-2016, 03:21 AM
RE: A question about makeing it easier for texture packs to be created
(12-13-2016 12:40 AM)mastermind00 Wrote:  would it make it easier for people to create texture packs if people started to post textures they have gotten from playing the game with the texture capture feature on. I ask because I relized that I left the feature on while I was playing a couple of games and thought maybe if I am not going to use them maybe someone else might.
The answer is simple: it would likely be copyright infringement. Texture mod projects are considerably transformative works, which gets around this, but the original textures still belong to the copyright holders, and you don't actually have the right to redistribute it, much like you don't actually have the right to redistribute game dump iso. The best you can do is create a chat group or closed forum where you can share the files with the individuals who're interested in them, because otherwise you'd be creating a copyright hell for the owners of this board.
12-14-2016, 10:14 PM
RE: A question about makeing it easier for texture packs to be created
A better thing to do is sharing the text file containing the textures' hashes with names given to them, if you dump a texture that already has a replacement set in that file but the replacement texture itself does not exist, it will be saved inside the dumped textures folder with the given name and directory, that way you can make it easier for others to customize their game and point to texture sources or other games where high resolution assets can be ripped from.