Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
(Android) Emulator was working fine yesterday, but won't play any games today.
07-16-2016, 09:27 PM
(Android) Emulator was working fine yesterday, but won't play any games today.
As the title says, yesterday I could play any game I tried without any issues. I could turn the screen off, do something else and restore it, everything was perfect.

When I tried to continue playing 7th Dragon 2020 today, the app kept stopping within the first 30 seconds of starting the game, usually the instant I touch it.
The same problem now applies to every game I try, all of which worked fine before.

I tried changing some of the settings. Turning off Fast Memory, rendering the game without buffered effects, nothing seems to make a difference. It seems entirely luck-based if the emulator will let me play for a while.

Sometimes a game will work fine but if I try to do something else and restore the game afterwards, it usually just get's stuck on a black screen with part of the on-screen gamepad being displayed.

Afterwards the game won't start again, even with identical settings.

I already re-installed the app, tried the non-gold version and got the latest build on the site, but none of them made a difference either.

My phone is a Galaxy S7, fully updated and I didn't change anything about my phone in the time between then and now. Didn't change any settings, didn't install or uninstall any apps or anything else.

Does anyone have an idea what the problem might be? Or did the gods of emulation simply decide I'm not worthy?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-16-2016, 10:53 PM
RE: (Android) Emulator was working fine yesterday, but won't play any games today.
First of all which version of PPSSPP are you using... (the play store release or a nightly and version)
Which version of S7 do you have... (snapdragon or exynos)

Those 2 questions might provide an answer, might. But if the problem is not what I think it is there are a few things you can also do. I am assuming you have done a full power cycle of your phone (shut down all the way and then powered back on). If you have a custom recovery on your phone you could also clear your jit cache and see if that helps too.
07-16-2016, 11:10 PM
RE: (Android) Emulator was working fine yesterday, but won't play any games today.
PPSSPP has problems with some S7 devices, but the latest git build (available on the download page) should work. This was with a lot of help from another S7 owner.

-[Unknown]
07-17-2016, 12:12 AM
My phone has the Exynos and I was using the version from the play store.

I'm assuming you mean version 1.2.2-763. I switched to that version and while I can play relatively reliably now, anytime I shut off the screen or switch out of the app it crashes when reloading.
I'll be able to get by with this, but I really hope this gets fixed at some point, since I'd love to play while commuting, but not turning off the phone just isn't practical.
07-17-2016, 12:45 AM
Interesting. It'd really help to see a log of the crash using adb logcat, if possible.

I don't think I've heard that reported for S7 devices.

-[Unknown]
07-17-2016, 02:03 AM
I need some sleep for now, but I'll try to figure it out afterwards.