Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
[PGS] Portable Gaming System - Best handheld for PS / PPSSPP?
07-02-2016, 12:12 AM (This post was last modified: 07-03-2016 03:20 PM by Terminator.)
Question [PGS] Portable Gaming System - Best handheld for PS / PPSSPP?
So the PGS (Portable Gaming System) has just launched a kickstarter campaign and it has already reached its pledge of $100k with 28 days to go!

Looking at the technical specs, could this possibly be better than the Nvidia Shield TV?

Link for more info

Edit: looking at the road map, i see they will eventually move from Cherry Trail to Apollo Lake architecture which seems like a good idea!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-02-2016, 04:57 AM
RE: [PGS] Portable Gaming System - Best handheld for PS / PPSSPP?
Nope

Well if it is actually using the x7 atom chipset then unless they have suddenly modified the laws of thermodynamics it will probably have major issues as a gaming device.

The cherry trail series chipsets almost universally thermo throttle due to excess heat (well all the ones arround the price of the pgs). Fallout new vegas runs faster or at the same speed on my z3735f tablet connected to my tv then dose the x5 8500 powered kangaroo pc at the same settings. And the problems get worse the more powerful the cherry trail processor and the more demanding the application.

I think the surface might not have these issues (I haven't wanted to spend the hundreds extra just to find out), but it is bigger and far more expensive. To be honest I think this might become an albatross that sucks in peoples money and maybe delivers a broken experience if anything at all.
07-02-2016, 05:51 AM
Yes, but for PPSSPP.... THIS is good? Even PCSX2 ?? I don't care about PC games, just emulators.
07-02-2016, 02:27 PM
It would be the same for emulators as it is for PC games. If they require more power then the bay trail processors can deliver odds are it will throttle. It really does not matter which program is stressing the chipset, it is just the result of the heat it produces and it's size.

If you really want this to work, hope that it uses Apollo Lake and that those chipset's somehow make a massive change in the way processors work or that the PGS somehow has far better cooling then it probably will have.

PPSSPP does run fine on bay trail for most games if it is kept to reasonable settings (internal and external reaolution kept reasonable and low to no shaders, ect.). As long as nothing bizarre goes on with the controller it should be fine.

PCSX2 might work, but it will definitely stress the CPU/GPU compared to ppsspp, any 4th gen emulator (snes era)or earlier, most psx emulators and most n64 emilators)

Dolphin will run on it assuming they load a 64bit version of windows.... but it will probably have simular isssues to running pcsx2 with overheating being a distinct possibility.
07-02-2016, 04:08 PM
The device will run x64 windows 10 + android 6.0 also, they plan to produce Apollo Lake in September 2017. They have a passive cooling system inside for heat dissipation.
07-02-2016, 07:26 PM
I know they are putting in a passive cooling system but the screen size is almost half the size of the surface 3. Physics dictates there is only so much cooling you can do is X amount of space. Also add in the fact it is costing less then a surface 3 and I am not sure where they are getting the budget to have a revolutionary physics defying cooling system on top of the dual screens and all the other things they are including.

Besides PS2 if Nvidia does release a tegra X1 based tablet (which it seems like they might be positioning themselves to do), that would be my recomendation for emulating psp, ps1, n64, gamecube, dreamcast, and quite a few more systems.

Unless Apollo Lake changes everything or unless you wait 6 month to 1 year after PGS is released to get long term reviews of it and everyone says my concerns are wrong.
07-02-2016, 10:38 PM (This post was last modified: 07-02-2016 10:40 PM by Terminator.)
(07-02-2016 07:26 PM)TkSilver Wrote:  I know they are putting in a passive cooling system but the screen size is almost half the size of the surface 3. Physics dictates there is only so much cooling you can do is X amount of space. Also add in the fact it is costing less then a surface 3 and I am not sure where they are getting the budget to have a revolutionary physics defying cooling system on top of the dual screens and all the other things they are including.

Besides PS2 if Nvidia does release a tegra X1 based tablet (which it seems like they might be positioning themselves to do), that would be my recomendation for emulating psp, ps1, n64, gamecube, dreamcast, and quite a few more systems.

Unless Apollo Lake changes everything or unless you wait 6 month to 1 year after PGS is released to get long term reviews of it and everyone says my concerns are wrong.

It is costing less than Surface 3 because it is a introductory price for backers, but the price of the device will be far more expensive when they sell it to online retailers.

I'm sure heat won't be an issue if you reduce resolution, plus one of their stretch goals is to use e-ink instead of IPS so you'll be able to save battery power.
07-03-2016, 04:06 AM
E ink is only useful for displays that stay on one image for a great length of time like ebook readers it actually takes more power to show a movie on an e ink display then on a normal one.
07-03-2016, 03:21 PM
(07-03-2016 04:06 AM)TkSilver Wrote:  E ink is only useful for displays that stay on one image for a great length of time like ebook readers it actually takes more power to show a movie on an e ink display then on a normal one.

Well, the e-ink is just optional IF it reaches that goal. Some people might use it as a book or other use rather than gaming which will help battery life.