Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 4.2 Average
Star Ocean: Second Evolution
01-24-2016, 09:55 PM
RE: Star Ocean: Second Evolution
FWIW, both of those use the "Hall" reverb effect. Could be that it's off.

I hear some light fuzz/static or something during the bgm, but as far as the menu accept sound - that's hard to tell. PPSSPP was doing zero reverb before, and in many places it has obviously improved the sound to enable reverb. But it's definitely different. I can see that the waveforms are different, and I can slightly hear a difference in the two... but I will never be able to be sure which the actual PSP is playing.

I'm a little confused, though. You said the problem started between v1.1.1-109-g42c7993 and v1.1.1-119-g5ebb5d5 (which means it was AFTER v1.1.1), but the comparison you gave was between v1.0.1 and v1.1.1?

Anyway, if you can tell for sure, are you sure the new sound is different from what a real PSP plays? One thing I can be pretty sure about: the pre-reverb sound is definitely not the same as the PSP. Because the PSP is applying reverb. So our reverb might be wrong, but the previous sound was wrong also.

-[Unknown]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-23-2016, 04:43 PM (This post was last modified: 03-23-2016 06:45 PM by Murmurs.)
So, I had an issue similar to lucasthenukus and the prescribed fix does indeed work.

The game would black screen after the cutsceen where Claude wakes up in the forest and it switches back to the normal map. Switching to Direct3D9 from OpenGL corrects this error.

However, for me at least, it introduces a new one. When using Direct3D9 the world map and battle maps will not fully render. They will just be pink blocks that will sometimes cut in to the actual terrain when moving around. If I switch to No Buffered Rendering, this corrects the issue and the world map and battle map will render properly. Other maps, however, will not. With No Buffered Rendering on, cities and caves are just a black screen. So I either can actually move around cities with Buffered Rendering or I can move around the world map and battles with No Buffered Rendering.

I've attempted to switch the back in back to OpenGL, and everything renders fine with Buffered Rendering on, however the game will occasionally crash when transitioning between screen. I honestly do not know what other settings might help, I've tried numerous different combinations to no avail.

I am running PPSSPP ver 1.2.2. My OS is Windows 10. My graphics card is AMD Radeon R9 380. I have 16 GB of RAM. I have checked that I have the latest drivers from AMD.

Edit: Interesting. I disabled Raptr from AMD and I believe everything is sorted now. Running Direct3D9 and Buffered Rendering, all maps load properly so far and no crashes.
04-14-2017, 11:29 PM
Been playing this for the past week now and only yesterday noticed some problems regarding my item menu- specifically my weapons category. Today I opened the game with the log console running on the side so I could figure out the underlying problem and post it here.

What basically happens is that when I try to access the Weapons category in my Items menu, the screen goes black and the game freezes, in which an error shows up. [See Log Console.png]

I have to exit the game to relaunch it after that to play.

The game also freezes when in the sell or creation menu, when I come across a strange item. [See invisible item.png]

The name of the item is invisible, and the sell price is in the negatives. If I put my cursor over it, the game will also freeze, and I have to quit. I don't know how to get rid of it or what it is, nor at what point it got in my inventory. I'm fine as long as I don't try to touch it, but it's scary going through my inventory while in a dungeon and accidentally scrolling down over the thing.

I had this on a previous version of the emulator and tried using the most recent, with no change. I realize this thread has gone awhile without any replies, but is anyone out there that can give me some help, please?

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

04-15-2017, 05:51 PM
Well, this means the game is crashing. Have you used any cheats?

Can you try the save on a real PSP, or upload the save so someone else can try? If you are using save states, try saving in game and loading the game - save states save even bugs.

Most likely something went wrong in your inventory, possibly due to a cheat code, and now that item is broken. If it happens on a real PSP, then it's emulating properly, and probably the best solution is save data hacking or a cheat code to remove the item.

-[Unknown]
06-24-2017, 06:06 PM (This post was last modified: 06-25-2017 05:28 AM by Maximz.)
I've been playing the game for i wanna say two weeks i played through claudes side of the story no issues (cept the intro but i had a earlier version of ppsspp n realized i had to download the latest n use the direct 11) now im playing through rena's side and every so often the game goes black n nothing happens i end up having to close the emulator in which case i get an error that pops up and asks if i would like to wait for emu thread or something to that extent n then i click no or yes which ever doesnt matter it closes n then i have to restart from last save point, its been happening very often during my rena playthrough. I played today, started from my save at the top of eluria tower fought the bosses, did cutscenes,went to leave centropolis, black screen crash. Redid that but used the speed up function to get passed cutscenes quickly this time, left centropolis, went to northcity, psynard stuff, made it all the way to red crystal cave, boom happened again. I find it a little weird honestly cuz i went throught my claude playthrough no problem (even did maze of tribulations and fought iseria queen n final boss no limiter)

Edit: also @wolfbloodrei i think that the item thats blank in your inventory is a "bounced check" it depletes fol from you slowly over time and you lose money when you sell it.

Edit2: ok now it crashed on me when i went to pick a save file, i turned on the game, clicked continue instead of it taking me to the menu to select a save the screen went black and crashed

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

09-20-2018, 12:49 AM (This post was last modified: 09-20-2018 01:13 AM by virusboy286.)
Using alcaltel smart phone. Android with latest stable build via play store. On second cut scene fps drops to 0 and does not recover leaving a black screen
I can't get the PPSSPP emulator to get past it.

Wanted to update, used 485. No change. The app actually tells me the system is slow and sound is choppy. Phone has 400 mb of ram free while running. I'll update a log soon. Right now Android is not possible, unless someone can prove me wrong
09-20-2018, 04:15 AM
Using a Google Pixel 1, latest updates - after being not scared, no issues. Then made it in time. Mayor explained some things to me. Seemed to be working fine.

I was a bit vague to avoid spoilers for anyone, but did your crash happen after or before that?

Also, Alcatel makes various phones - which one do you have? Also, I would check that you have a clean copy of your disc from the original UMD if possible. Some crashes like that are related to bad copies of the disc.

-[Unknown]
09-20-2018, 11:23 PM
Before. That scene doesn't load at all. It's an alcaltel 4060a. I'll check the umd and post back.
09-25-2023, 01:30 PM
I know this reply is Years after the previous one, but there’s something I just started experiencing with this game that I never did before very recently, and I didn’t know where else to make this reply, so yeah (I dunno if there’s a Thread for this but on Android, nor do I know how to make my own thread. I’m new to this).

I never experienced this issue before, but lately whenever I played this game (On the latest update (On Android (on the Gold Version))), and the Audio sounds MOSTLY fine, but there’s something wrong with it. Some of the Instruments in the audio sound very glitchy, it drives me insane, and I can’t find a fix for it anywhere online. I’ve tried a couple of things, but I end up either making it worse or doing absolutely nothing. Can someone please tell me what’s wrong? :’)
11-19-2023, 03:35 AM
Hey @NecroLuna
I noticed the same exact issue. I know this games music and sound effects like the back of my hand and knew something was off.
I had the most recent release of PPSSPP (1.16.6). I was able to fix this issue completely by downloading version 1.15.4. All back to normal now. Anyone know how to get this in front of the people who can fix whatever broke?