Thread Rating:
  • 14 Votes - 4.36 Average
PPSSPP options explained
06-05-2013, 05:10 PM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2013 05:14 PM by vnctdj.)
RE: PPSSPP options explained
(06-05-2013 02:54 PM)Danyal Zia Wrote:  I know that while holding "Tab" on Windows, games speeds up! But, I can't understand the difference between both of them. Either it's in Standard mode or in Fixed, there is no difference in speed and games only speeds up when we hold "Tab" So, what really is the difference between them? You are showing the Fps Limit option. Is Fps limit same as Fixed mode?

The "Fixed Mode" is made by "FPS Limit", you just have to press F3 on your keyboard to switch between the 3 available modes :
>> Speed : Standard
>> Speed : Fixed
>> Speed : Unlimited

You have to set up the speed in the "FPS Limit" option to choose which speed will be the "fixed" speed Wink

Moreover, the "Tab" key always define the speed to "Unlimited" when you keep it pressed Smile

I hope you understand better now Smile

♦ Intel Core i7-6700HQ | 16 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M | Debian Testing
♦ Intel Core i7-2630QM | 4 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M | Debian Testing
♦ PSP-3004 | 6.60 PRO-C2
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-05-2013, 06:38 PM
(06-05-2013 05:10 PM)vnctdj Wrote:  
(06-05-2013 02:54 PM)Danyal Zia Wrote:  I know that while holding "Tab" on Windows, games speeds up! But, I can't understand the difference between both of them. Either it's in Standard mode or in Fixed, there is no difference in speed and games only speeds up when we hold "Tab" So, what really is the difference between them? You are showing the Fps Limit option. Is Fps limit same as Fixed mode?

The "Fixed Mode" is made by "FPS Limit", you just have to press F3 on your keyboard to switch between the 3 available modes :

You have to set up the speed in the "FPS Limit" option to choose which speed will be the "fixed" speed Wink

Moreover, the "Tab" key always define the speed to "Unlimited" when you keep it pressed Smile

Thanks for the explanation! I've tried setting the Fps Limit to 90 and set my speed to "Fixed" and now games are running at VPS 90, so you are absolutely right what you said above Smile But, I still have a question: Do PPSSPP have an option which auto-minimizes frameskipping? Since, frameskipping cause problems in some games such as blinking of black screen just after single frame. So, I'm assuming that happens because of frameskipping?
06-05-2013, 06:46 PM
(06-05-2013 06:38 PM)Danyal Zia Wrote:  

Thanks for the explanation! I've tried setting the Fps Limit to 90 and set my speed to "Fixed" and now games are running at VPS 90, so you are absolutely right what you said above Smile But, I still have a question: Do PPSSPP have an option which auto-minimizes frameskipping? Since, frameskipping cause problems in some games such as blinking of black screen just after single frame. So, I'm assuming that happens because of frameskipping?

You're welcome ! Wink

For your question, maybe you can do something by the use of the "Frame Skipping" option ?

♦ PSP-3004 | 6.60 PRO-C2
06-05-2013, 07:04 PM
(06-05-2013 06:46 PM)vnctdj Wrote:  
(06-05-2013 06:38 PM)Danyal Zia Wrote:  

You're welcome ! Wink

For your question, maybe you can do something by the use of the "Frame Skipping" option ?

Like I said above, actually frame skipping causes blinking of screen. Otherwise, without frame skipping games run fines on PC but on small devices, frameskipping needs to be fixed. I was just asking if it has an option to auto-minimize or auto-disable frameskipping when it isn't needed or when the fps is already 60. I've seen this solution in other emulators as well and their frameskipping works flawlessly when there is slow down otherwise it auto-disable frameskipping when Fps is already 60. Hope you understand now Wink
06-05-2013, 07:21 PM
(06-05-2013 07:04 PM)Danyal Zia Wrote:  Like I said above, actually frame skipping causes blinking of screen. Otherwise, without frame skipping games run fines on PC but on small devices, frameskipping needs to be fixed. I was just asking if it has an option to auto-minimize or auto-disable frameskipping when it isn't needed or when the fps is already 60. I've seen this solution in other emulators as well and their frameskipping works flawlessly when there is slow down otherwise it auto-disable frameskipping when Fps is already 60. Hope you understand now Wink

I don't know if the option you describe is already implemented in PPSSPP...

You should take a look at this thread and post your idea in it if it has not been said Smile

♦ PSP-3004 | 6.60 PRO-C2
06-05-2013, 11:06 PM
(06-05-2013 07:04 PM)Danyal Zia Wrote:  Like I said above, actually frame skipping causes blinking of screen. Otherwise, without frame skipping games run fines on PC but on small devices, frameskipping needs to be fixed. I was just asking if it has an option to auto-minimize or auto-disable frameskipping when it isn't needed or when the fps is already 60. I've seen this solution in other emulators as well and their frameskipping works flawlessly when there is slow down otherwise it auto-disable frameskipping when Fps is already 60. Hope you understand now Wink

(06-05-2013 07:21 PM)vnctdj Wrote:  I don't know if the option you describe is already implemented in PPSSPP...

You should take a look at this thread and post your idea in it if it has not been said Smile

i second your idea. i dont think the option has been implemented in PPSSPP yet. i always play on android with frame skipping 3 which come with some blinking of screen (the speed is good but the blinking screen kinda annoying and hurts my eyes). maybe dev already concerned about this but it takes a while to be implement as they focusing on video and audio now. just be patience and help the dev to hasten PPSSPP progress . Big Grin
06-06-2013, 12:47 AM
what does mipmapping do ?
06-06-2013, 06:12 AM
(06-05-2013 07:21 PM)vnctdj Wrote:  

Many thanks! Smile I've already posted that feature request in the same page but sadly couldn't get reply by devs. Let's be patient! Smile Here +1 rep for helping me out friendly Wink
06-06-2013, 08:13 PM (This post was last modified: 06-06-2013 08:14 PM by vnctdj.)
(06-06-2013 06:12 AM)Danyal Zia Wrote:  
(06-05-2013 07:21 PM)vnctdj Wrote:  

Many thanks! Smile I've already posted that feature request in the same page but sadly couldn't get reply by devs. Let's be patient! Smile Here +1 rep for helping me out friendly Wink

You're welcome ! Smile
Glad to help you Wink

(06-06-2013 12:47 AM)elsword Wrote:  what does mipmapping do ?

You can take a look at these explanations Smile

♦ PSP-3004 | 6.60 PRO-C2
06-23-2013, 12:03 AM
Help wanted/needed:

This seems to be an awesome program, I have been looking for a really good PSP EMU for years now and everything works great but i do have an issue with a black screen when I open any game ( other than the cube i downloaded from you guys for testing) though it is still running frames at 60 FPS and i was really hopping that i could get some help on how to fix this problem.

I downloaded 0.7.6 for windows and i am desperately trying to play Dragon Ball Z tenkaichi tag team.iso. I have downloaded it several times from several different sites with some varying in size. I have tried all of them so far and i still get the same black screen issue. Confused

Any assistance would be nice Big Grin
06-23-2013, 06:28 AM
Use the latest revision of PPSSPP here:
http://www.ppsspp.org/downloads.html#devbuilds
06-23-2013, 04:47 PM
(06-23-2013 06:28 AM)livisor Wrote:  Use the latest revision of PPSSPP here:
http://www.ppsspp.org/downloads.html#devbuilds

THANK YOU !!! Big Grin
06-24-2013, 03:49 AM (This post was last modified: 06-24-2013 03:54 AM by solarmystic.)
A new explanation needs to be added to the first page to differentiate between FPS (Flips per second) and VPS (VBlanks per second) readings since the FPS counter has been added into PPSSPP.

The FPS counter as implemented in PPSSPP is not the same as FPS counter displayed in your computer game via FRAPS/Afterburner etc.

People are getting confused and claiming that their performance has gone down to just 30 FPS in the new revisions, while it's actually the VPS counter that they should be concerned about. I see it in the reports on the forum, it is quite widespread.

A FPS reading of 30 or 60 is perfectly normal for games (games can use either option for their own internal rendering), however a VPS reading of below 60 means your device/platform is struggling to maintain full speed for that particular game.

PPSSPP Modern Testbed:-
Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.0 GHz
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 760 2GB GDDR5 VRAM @ 1138/6500 Mhz
16 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1600 MHz
Windows 7 x64 SP1

PPSSPP Ancient Testing Rig:-
Intel Core 2 Duo T9550 @ 2.8GHz
ATI Mobility Radeon 4670 1GB GDDR3 VRAM @ 843/882 MHz
8 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1066 MHz
Windows 7 x64 SP1
06-25-2013, 11:39 AM
Please make a Official Guide of PPSSPP Emulator,(in pdf/word) in which all options of PPSSPP Emulator are defined in Detail.
06-26-2013, 10:05 PM
(06-25-2013 11:39 AM)javed_iqbal Wrote:  Please make a Official Guide of PPSSPP Emulator,(in pdf/word) in which all options of PPSSPP Emulator are defined in Detail.

Why would someone make a guide in pdf/word, just update the OP here with the necessary info, I'd rather not have to use a program like MS word or a PDF reader, some of which people might not have installed to read some basic option descriptions. If you personally need an offline version then you can copy/paste it to whatever you want.