Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 3.67 Average
Phantasy Star Portable
02-26-2015, 09:45 AM (This post was last modified: 02-26-2015 09:46 AM by Terra Branford.)
RE: Phantasy Star Portable
(02-22-2015 09:16 AM)setsuna010 Wrote:  i've DL the lastest build on win64 and i still have the no text bug on the US version. Hope it will be fixed soon !

You aren't the only one. The only way to play with text on Portable 1 (and Portable 2 JP) is to play one of the old builds with the fix in place.

I personally use version "v0.9.8-323-gf2bf8df", and haven't had any troubles at all with the game, beyond not being able to play in Multimode.

It does get annoying having to swap between two different versions of the same emulator, but I don't know if anyone will ever bother fixing the text errors with this game for the newer builds, given that Portable 2 and Infinity work "perfectly" now, and Portable 1 is "outdated".
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-19-2015, 02:10 PM
Just finished PSP2, decided to continue to PSP2i, but it will be fair if i try PSP1 first, but hey, the dialogue texts are missing @_@.. i just read the whole thread but, it requires older build, well, I'm a craptop user, a D3D9 user, older build doesn't fit on me, is there any "hidden" hacks to fix it? @_@a i wonder... well, i just need to continue through PSP2i @_@

*runs
03-26-2015, 07:20 PM
(03-19-2015 02:10 PM)aesoh Wrote:  Just finished PSP2, decided to continue to PSP2i, but it will be fair if i try PSP1 first, but hey, the dialogue texts are missing @_@.. i just read the whole thread but, it requires older build, well, I'm a craptop user, a D3D9 user, older build doesn't fit on me, is there any "hidden" hacks to fix it? @_@a i wonder... well, i just need to continue through PSP2i @_@

*runs
Nope, no hidden hacks to fix the issue. It's galling because many people like myself want to start with a series with the actual first game, not the second.
The only fix is to run that older version of PPSSPP which is a non-starter for me when 90% of PSP games will work on the new 1.01 version and the 1.01 version runs faster with higher settings.
04-01-2015, 11:05 PM (This post was last modified: 04-01-2015 11:08 PM by mastrolineum.)
(03-26-2015 07:20 PM)Lerianis Wrote:  
(03-19-2015 02:10 PM)aesoh Wrote:  Just finished PSP2, decided to continue to PSP2i, but it will be fair if i try PSP1 first, but hey, the dialogue texts are missing @_@.. i just read the whole thread but, it requires older build, well, I'm a craptop user, a D3D9 user, older build doesn't fit on me, is there any "hidden" hacks to fix it? @_@a i wonder... well, i just need to continue through PSP2i @_@

*runs
Nope, no hidden hacks to fix the issue. It's galling because many people like myself want to start with a series with the actual first game, not the second.
The only fix is to run that older version of PPSSPP which is a non-starter for me when 90% of PSP games will work on the new 1.01 version and the 1.01 version runs faster with higher settings.

Man don't be a douche (im not saying you are, just my way of talking),
download the version 0.9.323 and extract it somewhere, then rename (as for me : ppsspp fix PS1) then put the whole thing where you want, make a shortcut to your desktop and voila, you have 2 shortcuts, one for ONLY play Phantasy start 1 and the usual last build svn you have for playing all your other games (ppsspp 1.01etc version) simple and effective. good game.......douche... ahaha SmileSmile oh and the game work 100% fps (60fps) so dont worry about the speed.
04-03-2015, 07:46 AM (This post was last modified: 04-03-2015 07:48 AM by Terra Branford.)
I think the problem is that the older version doesn't run as well (likely missing optimizations needed to run smoother) on his/her older, outdated hardware. I have a fairly decent setup, so I can run both the current beta build, and the most stable PS:Po1 fix build without FPS issues, or slowdowns.

My problem with having to run an older version, is that the fix was a part of many of the "build releases", and suddenly removed... and then forgotten all about ever since, as if Portable 1 just isn't important enough for anyone to care if you can read the dialogue text in newer versions of PPSSPP.

However, you can play the (English*) version of Portable 2, and even Infinity with text, as well as Multimode support. Which just doesn't make much sense to me, given that Portable 2 and Infinity were "broken" (no text) at the same point in the development history as Portable 1, and now they work... but not Portable 1.

Portable 1 is a good game, and there are times I prefer to play it over Portable 2, because it's the closest thing to the original PSU experience you can get, short of playing AotI on the PS2 or PC. Portable 2 added quite a few things that I just didn't enjoy (such as not being able to level up my skills, and having to rely on random chance to get high level technique discs), and when I'm not in the mood to deal with such things, it's nice to fire up Portable 1.

Really, I don't think it should have been that hard to fix the dialogue text. It was fixed before, it can be fixed again. I just think it's one of those "not a priority, so it's ignored" situations. Which is a shame.

((*The Japanese version of Portable 2 still suffers from the broken dialogue, even in the newer dev builds.))
04-03-2015, 03:26 PM (This post was last modified: 04-03-2015 03:27 PM by mastrolineum.)
(04-03-2015 07:46 AM)Terra Branford Wrote:  I think the problem is that the older version doesn't run as well (likely missing optimizations needed to run smoother) on his/her older, outdated hardware. I have a fairly decent setup, so I can run both the current beta build, and the most stable PS:Po1 fix build without FPS issues, or slowdowns.

My problem with having to run an older version, is that the fix was a part of many of the "build releases", and suddenly removed... and then forgotten all about ever since, as if Portable 1 just isn't important enough for anyone to care if you can read the dialogue text in newer versions of PPSSPP.

However, you can play the (English*) version of Portable 2, and even Infinity with text, as well as Multimode support. Which just doesn't make much sense to me, given that Portable 2 and Infinity were "broken" (no text) at the same point in the development history as Portable 1, and now they work... but not Portable 1.

Portable 1 is a good game, and there are times I prefer to play it over Portable 2, because it's the closest thing to the original PSU experience you can get, short of playing AotI on the PS2 or PC. Portable 2 added quite a few things that I just didn't enjoy (such as not being able to level up my skills, and having to rely on random chance to get high level technique discs), and when I'm not in the mood to deal with such things, it's nice to fire up Portable 1.

Really, I don't think it should have been that hard to fix the dialogue text. It was fixed before, it can be fixed again. I just think it's one of those "not a priority, so it's ignored" situations. Which is a shame.

((*The Japanese version of Portable 2 still suffers from the broken dialogue, even in the newer dev builds.))

Yeah i got your point, and a good one i think. one of the problem is lot of people say PS1 is bad, because how PS2 and Ps2i evolved. bu as you stated, PS1 is an "aoti" a PSU similar. as PS2 and PS2i are more PSO like. I liked PSu and i certainly like PS1 too. Even if ingame there is stuff i think "shit why etc" but nonetheless, its a great game.
I have of course
ps2 (us) and Ps2i but i started back a new save and play PS1. Will play other after.
so well dev could put the text fix in the new builds, should not be much to do, but they may say that other games are priority ( britney dance, bob the sponge, my poney, well all those wonderful european and Usa games we have (sarcasm here), see they are a priority over one of the best saga ever made "phantasy star back to sega master system & megadrive) "
I am ashamed, when i see games that my japaneses friend have and the more than reduced choice we have here.
I hope too that someday soon we have a fix for the text, like PS2 put a checkable box... well bye and good day.
04-03-2015, 06:23 PM
(04-03-2015 07:46 AM)Terra Branford Wrote:  is that the fix was a part of many of the "build releases", and suddenly removed... and then forgotten all about ever since, as if Portable 1 just isn't important enough for anyone to care if you can read the dialogue text in newer versions of PPSSPP.

Well, this simply isn't true, sorry to say.

The change that caused Phantasy Star Portable 1's text to display broke many other games, because it was a bad change. Think of it this way: let's say I lit a fire in my house because I was cold. The fire went out of control and burnt a lot of my stuff, but at least I wasn't cold. I've tried to light fires again, but every time so far it's gone out of control and I've had to put it out really quick.

Just because the fire makes you warm, doesn't mean that's really a solution to the entire problem. In the same way, just because the text in Phantasy Star Portable 1 worked doesn't mean that's the right solution either.

I know and understand why that change (although it was incorrect) made it work. I've actually spent hours upon hours debugging the game and figuring out exactly why the text doesn't show. I even added the entire GE debugger feature with this game as one of the things in my mind it might help with. Unfortunately, the change is a bit hard to fix correctly.

Also, future releases of the games draw the text in different ways. It's not at all surprising to me that they work. It's kind of like wondering why your new electric car is able to charge using the wall, but your previous car still needs gasoline. Well, they're different, that's why... even if they appear to operate the same way from the outside.

I've never once said or heard anyone saying some Pony game was a priority over this game. However, if you disagree with our priorities, feel free to actually contribute yourself instead of just griping, and change them with your own hands. I became the programmer I am today with no more resources than you have (in fact, probably less.)

-[Unknown]
04-04-2015, 03:03 AM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2015 03:12 AM by mastrolineum.)
(04-03-2015 06:23 PM)[Unknown] Wrote:  
(04-03-2015 07:46 AM)Terra Branford Wrote:  is that the fix was a part of many of the "build releases", and suddenly removed... and then forgotten all about ever since, as if Portable 1 just isn't important enough for anyone to care if you can read the dialogue text in newer versions of PPSSPP.

The change that caused Phantasy Star Portable 1's text to display broke many other games, because it was a bad change. Think of it this way: let's say I lit a fire in my house because I was cold. The fire went out of control and burnt a lot of my stuff, but at least I wasn't cold. I've tried to light fires again, but every time so far it's gone out of control and I've had to put it out really quick.

Just because the fire makes you warm, doesn't mean that's really a solution to the entire problem. In the same way, just because the text in Phantasy Star Portable 1 worked doesn't mean that's the right solution either.

I know and understand why that change (although it was incorrect) made it work. I've actually spent hours upon hours debugging the game and figuring out exactly why the text doesn't show. I even added the entire GE debugger feature with this game as one of the things in my mind it might help with. Unfortunately, the change is a bit hard to fix correctly.

Also, future releases of the games draw the text in different ways. It's not at all surprising to me that they work. It's kind of like wondering why your new electric car is able to charge using the wall, but your previous car still needs gasoline. Well, they're different, that's why... even if they appear to operate the same way from the outside.

I've never once said or heard anyone saying some Pony game was a priority over this game. However, if you disagree with our priorities, feel free to actually contribute yourself instead of just griping, and change them with your own hands. I became the programmer I am today with no more resources than you have (in fact, probably less.)

-[Unknown]

You're not wrong either and i understand well your point, BUuut Big Grin

And about priorities, i stated too ..as: (sarcasm), like ironie, like joke, poney or what ever childish or whatever dumb game name. Choices we have and what could really be...
04-04-2015, 04:56 AM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2015 04:57 AM by Terra Branford.)
(04-03-2015 06:23 PM)[Unknown] Wrote:  

-[Unknown]
I honestly didn't realize the "fix" broke other games... that's poor research on my part. I also didn't know you had been (and appear to still be) researching a way to fix the game. So I apologize for my comments, and feel like a total jerk for spazzing off about it, especially as I don't know a thing about programming, and can't fix it myself.

I do get that Portable 2 and Infinity have different methods to draw the text, given they are released after Portable 1 (it would make sense that they'd use different rendering methods, since they are different games). I was mentioning (poorly, I assume) that the Japanese version of Portable 2 does not correctly render NPC text, much in the same way as Portable 1 fails. And figured it was all the same issue, and the PPSSPP team had done fixes specifically for Portable 2 (especially seeing that Portable 2 has a Depth Range Hack in the settings menus) and Infinity, but had somehow skipped/missed Portable 1 and the JP version of Portable 2. That, again, was on me, for making false assumptions.

So, again, I apologize for my negative comments. I was flustered, since Portable 1 is one of my favorite games, and it seemed to be ignored in the latest round of fixes. Which, again, was a foolish assumption on my part.
05-18-2015, 08:30 AM
Still no fix for this?
05-31-2015, 12:13 AM
Black Screen Phantasy star Portable 1
hello, I have a problem about my game Phantasy star portable USA.ISO in my emulator.when I start the game, it instantly becomes a black screen.I use the emulator android version 0.9.9.1.I'm so confused solving this problem,because whereas other games that did not happen anything /normal.I hope you can help me in solving this problem.
Sorry for my bad english Smile
06-01-2015, 04:19 PM
Merged.

♦ Intel Core i7-6700HQ | 16 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M | Debian Testing
♦ Intel Core i7-2630QM | 4 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M | Debian Testing
♦ PSP-3004 | 6.60 PRO-C2
06-29-2015, 09:33 AM
If the game worked before with a bad fix that wrecked other games... then why not add it as a compatibility patch for Phantasy Star Portable.

Could be enabled manually in the misc settings, or it could be done automatically, that is, if PPSSPP could detect the SLUS number of Phantasy Star Portable and automatically activate that "Broken Fix" so that people can use modern builds across all platforms with all the modern performance enhancements.

Besides, going waaaaaaaaaaay back to an older build like 9.3.3 is back when I still had issues with crackly noise that drove me nuts and basically made all games unplayable for me, and I have a fairly powerful gaming computer I put together a few years back.

I hope that this can be fixed one way or another soon, as I really did enjoy Phantasy Star Portable 1 on my PSP when I still had one. Took me ages to hunt down a copy in Ontario, Canada... all I just want to do it play it once more on PPSSPP
07-22-2015, 08:10 AM
I like nekomaster's suggestion ~

Also I have figured out How to get Phantasy Star Portable working in PPSSPP

You don't need a 9.3 version of the emulator, you need version 9.8-323.

I'd post direct download links to the build page, but since this is my first post I'd probably be flagged as a spambot. You can just Ctrl-F or "Find on Page" the builds page people have linked to, though, and look for that number.

Best of luck, everyone ~
07-22-2015, 02:58 PM
Well if someone has us version, you can try my cw cheat instead:
Code:
_S ULUS-10410
_G Phantasy Star Portable
_C0 Text issue workaround
_L 0xE0030880 0x10215634
_L 0x20215634 0x3C020880
_L 0x20215638 0xC44C1000
_L 0x20001000 0x3F7FCB63
_C0 Text issue workaround[Disable]
_L 0x20215634 0x3C0208C8
_L 0x20215638 0xC44C8D80
_L 0x20001000 0x00000000
Frankly I didn't tested this much since I don't play the game now. To avoid glitches I used the closest working value to original, which might not be enough, but as far as I can see it works fine as it is.

Also the old fix which broke other games and was reverted is here. You could easily build new ppsspp version with it althrough nowadays this code splits for ogl and d3d so you have to find it and change both places. For those that needs it we have a detailed guide how to compile ppsspp on windows.

http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=6594 - Custom PPSSPP Shaders!
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=3590&pid=117172#pid117172 - simple CE scripts to help creating CWCheats,
https://github.com/LunaMoo/PPSSPP_workarounds - CWCheat workarounds.