Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
PPSSPP slowdown after some time on Mali
03-09-2015, 02:15 PM (This post was last modified: 03-09-2015 02:20 PM by EvilSR.)
PPSSPP slowdown after some time on Mali
I have a phone with Mediatek MT6591 with Mali 450 MP.I mainly play MHFU and it runs perfectly for 10 minutes and drops to 70-80 % speed.When the slowdown occurs i observed when I save and loadstate it works at full speed again Huh and becomes slow after a while again.
I also receive message Hardware Transform Error - Failing back to Software in MHFU.My old phone with powervr didnt gave me these problems
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-09-2015, 08:52 PM
RE: PPSSPP slowdown after some time on Mali
(03-09-2015 02:15 PM)EvilSR Wrote:  I have a phone with Mediatek MT6591 with Mali 450 MP.I mainly play MHFU and it runs perfectly for 10 minutes and drops to 70-80 % speed.When the slowdown occurs i observed when I save and loadstate it works at full speed again Huh and becomes slow after a while again.
I also receive message Hardware Transform Error - Failing back to Software in MHFU.My old phone with powervr didnt gave me these problems

I've already reported the problem in the game death junior
for first five minute all right then, as if there was a time, it passes from 30 to 9-10fps but if i go on save screen and return to game it resumes to go at 30fps for athers 5 minutes...I also receive message Hardware Transform Error - Failing back to Software
03-09-2015, 09:26 PM
Do you have "software skinning" enabled (if not, please try enabling it)?

Do you have "retain changed textures" disabled (if you have it enabled, please turn it off)?

Do you have "enable compatibility reports" enabled (if not, please consider turning it on)?

-[Unknown]
03-10-2015, 06:11 AM (This post was last modified: 03-10-2015 06:11 AM by EvilSR.)
Even with sofyware skinning on and retain textures off MHFU slows down after a while
03-10-2015, 09:03 AM
(03-09-2015 09:26 PM)[Unknown] Wrote:  Do you have "software skinning" enabled (if not, please try enabling it)?

Do you have "retain changed textures" disabled (if you have it enabled, please turn it off)?

Do you have "enable compatibility reports" enabled (if not, please consider turning it on)?

-[Unknown]

today i tried mhfu on mali mp4 with last build of ppsspp and all is ok perhaps evilsr use an old version of ppsspp, as regards death junior ,nothing seems to be useful, probably there is an internal error of emulation, and also on death junior 2 (on pc because on mali goes slow) i have the same problem
03-10-2015, 03:44 PM
Even on latest build v1.0.1-158-
g33b291a slowdown occurs
03-10-2015, 08:26 PM
(03-10-2015 03:44 PM)EvilSR Wrote:  Even on latest build v1.0.1-158-
g33b291a slowdown occurs

try to use a normal save of the game and not a save state of ppsspp, disable multithreaded and hack settings and anable athers settings
03-20-2015, 09:23 PM (This post was last modified: 03-20-2015 09:24 PM by Alchemyr.)
I created an account so just i can attest to this issue.
This is definitely an issue with mali as,
Im using the old one mali 400mp.

Ive noticed this even before 1.0.1

I tried playing with settings to no avail.
Slowness is i think somewhat related to audio.
Whenever i use a consecutive ki atk on dbz another road, a combo at tekken it kicks in.

And a crash at the start of crisis core because of the super fast gunshot sounds.

Basically a consecutive similar sounds triggers it somehow.

Oh and Sry for my english.
03-20-2015, 09:31 PM (This post was last modified: 03-20-2015 09:32 PM by [Unknown].)
It could just be that the graphical special effects during those times, especially with multiple in a row, overheat your device and make the safety kick in and underclock it to avoid running too hot.

Also, if it "clears it up" to save state and load state again, that might indicate that your device is running out of memory. Similarly, if it "clears it up" to task switch out of the app to another one and back, or turn off your screen for a few seconds, that might indicate that your GPU is running out of memory.

When we detect out-of-memory situations, our texture cache goes into low-memory mode, to try to avoid it. However, it doesn't always detect it, it's a best effort - if it fails to detect it you might even crash or get graphical glitches. But, if it does detect it, it's permanent until you restart PPSSPP iirc. And, it's also slower in low-memory mode.

Using "retain changed textures" will drink GPU memory like water, and texture upscaling at 2x will use four times as much (3x will use nine times as much.) Render resolutions are similarly exponential - 3x will use nine times as much GPU memory as 1x.

So you might also try at 1x with texture scaling definitely off (not sure any Mali-400 device can have texture scaling on and be playable anyway) and retain changed textures definitely off.

-[Unknown]
03-22-2015, 08:43 AM
we have another example of mali problems in tomb raider anniversary, its all right as long as you do the somersault, there is a slowdown and not temporary but definitive
03-24-2015, 04:55 AM (This post was last modified: 03-24-2015 05:41 AM by Alchemyr.)
Aah finally i understood. Ty for clearing that out.. That maybe the real reason behind the random slowness.
However in my case, when the slowness occurs my ppsspp easily recovers and doesnt really require a restart. For example, in dbz it would drop from 100% to 70-89% for about 2-3 seconds and then followed by a huge rise upto 189% for 1 sec. All of these happens every 2min interval.

As for possible workaround... Alternative speed option as i observed can ease that slow transition by bit... I tried playing around it at about 50%-150%. Keeping it at unlimited as it is, is not ideal imo.

As for the crisis core crash...about the rapid gunshot sound and crash... I still have no clue