Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Console games will be killed?
10-17-2014, 08:29 AM
Console games will be killed?
Whether it's true that smart phones and tablets are killing console gaming? I know more and more people are playing games on their phones and tablets and computers. So is it possible to replace the game consoles?
In my own opinion, i think it's possible, but it will take a few decades. What do you say about this?

My game consoles:
GB
PS3
JXD S7800B
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-17-2014, 11:12 AM
RE: Console games will be killed?
I would say that, probably, PS5 will never exist!

I imagine that we are going to have to pay a streaming service for Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo in a near future. The streaming technology is getting faster and better. With the right structure and programming, games in the future won’t have delays.

And I really believes that it’s going to happen, because, it could be the solution for piracy, and it’ll be more lucrative for the softhouses!

I don’t have a PS4, for example. But, I would pay a Playstation streaming service if it was fair, for sure!

I was an Xperia Play gamer until my dog ate my beloved phone!

Now I’m an Xperia ZL/ZQ gamer!
Quad-Core 1.5 GHZ
2GB RAM

It works better, but i miss the gamepad!! T_T'
10-17-2014, 01:28 PM
How they are killing console games?
Android has mini mobile games that are absolutely NO match for next gen console games.
You'll never get The Last Of Us , Uncharted , Resident Evil , Tekken , God of War etc running on android.

Android yet can't even emulate Gamecube properly.
Console games will remain forever on advantage.

The Signature!
10-17-2014, 01:50 PM
You don’t need a powerful hardware locally if a game can be processed in other servers! You can play Assassins Creed or other current gen games on Onlive, for example. Of course it doesn’t have real time responses yet, but it’s a matter of time!

I’m sure in a few years we’ll be playing Last of Us in Smartphones or SmartTVs.

Quad-Core 1.5 GHZ
2GB RAM

10-17-2014, 02:10 PM (This post was last modified: 10-17-2014 02:10 PM by stodag.)
I have a ps4 and would much rather play that than a shitty mobile game..

Battlefield 4 anyone..

i do belive consoles will integrate with android/ windows eventually.. ie:- an xboxdroid.

ps4 is very successfull already.. and set to grow.

S TO DA G
10-17-2014, 04:02 PM
Yeah , we will be playing The Last of Us in smartphone in 2025!! -___-

I personally prefer portable consoles over smartphones.

The Signature!
10-20-2014, 12:26 AM (This post was last modified: 10-20-2014 12:29 AM by sunflowers.)
(10-17-2014 11:12 AM)heiwasan Wrote:  I would say that, probably, PS5 will never exist!

I imagine that we are going to have to pay a streaming service for Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo in a near future. The streaming technology is getting faster and better. With the right structure and programming, games in the future won’t have delays.

And I really believes that it’s going to happen, because, it could be the solution for piracy, and it’ll be more lucrative for the softhouses!

I don’t have a PS4, for example. But, I would pay a Playstation streaming service if it was fair, for sure!

Your meaning is that we can play Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo and any other games on one device? Is this possible? If possible, how do they devide the profit then?

(10-17-2014 04:02 PM)Haseeb Wrote:  Yeah , we will be playing The Last of Us in smartphone in 2025!! -___-

I personally prefer portable consoles over smartphones.

lol, i prefer handhelds too.

My game consoles:
GB
PS3
JXD S7800B
10-20-2014, 12:47 AM
(10-17-2014 02:10 PM)stodag Wrote:  I have a ps4 and would much rather play that than a shitty mobile game..

Battlefield 4 anyone..

i do belive consoles will integrate with android/ windows eventually.. ie:- an xboxdroid.

ps4 is very successfull already.. and set to grow.

Battlefield 4 lol. Even DICE isn't proud of that one. Bad Company 2 was king. I think OP is talking about things like remote play with the PS4 and PS Vita. I don't have either one but I think people who do own both are able to play some games through their vita (ex: Destiny). Confirm/Deny?
10-20-2014, 01:13 AM
In my opinion, consoles are not needed because the PC exists and most people own a PC. However, the PC has never been able to kill the consoles.

Smartphones and tablets are far from getting better than consoles. Can you make any list of Android games that are worth playing? In such list, we exclude minigames (such as Angry Birds), remakes (such as GTA) and games that offers in-app purchases.

Android is only good to play ports and emulated games.
10-20-2014, 01:57 AM
(10-20-2014 01:13 AM)Squall Wrote:  In my opinion, consoles are not needed because the PC exists and most people own a PC. However, the PC has never been able to kill the consoles.

Smartphones and tablets are far from getting better than consoles. Can you make any list of Android games that are worth playing? In such list, we exclude minigames (such as Angry Birds), remakes (such as GTA) and games that offers in-app purchases.

What about people who travel? It's easier to pack a small console or a handheld device instead of a huge PC + monitor. A laptop may not be able to run whatever AAA title just released the previous week.
10-20-2014, 02:10 AM
(10-20-2014 01:57 AM)AlphaKennyTime Wrote:  
(10-20-2014 01:13 AM)Squall Wrote:  In my opinion, consoles are not needed because the PC exists and most people own a PC. However, the PC has never been able to kill the consoles.

What about people who travel? It's easier to pack a small console or a handheld device instead of a huge PC + monitor. A laptop may not be able to run whatever AAA title just released the previous week.
Yeah, i agree. I often play games on my handheld when traveling. It's portable and good for emulator games. So i don't think they will disappear in the future.

My favorite thing is playing emulator games(GB games) on my jxd s7800b. Are you keen on retro games?
10-20-2014, 05:16 AM
Smartphones/Tablets? nahh even though Cloud Gaming is slowly blooming in the gaming world (which might kill piracy but still requires internet... high speed internet to play and stream games well) I still prefer PC/Console Gaming... and if you are talking about travel then I'll just have a high-end gaming Laptop.. get the best PC games that are out lately and of course I won't forget emulators Big Grin

Chill and Go with the flow ~d[o_o]b~

@YT - youtube.com/user/SuperHack333/videos

Specs:
MDL: Dell G7 15 7590 (Laptop)
OPS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU: Intel Core i7-9750h @ 2.60 Ghz ~ 4.50 Ghz
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1660 Ti 6GB GDDR6 @ 1455 Mhz ~ 1590 Mhz
RAM: Micron Tech. 8GB DDR4 @ 2666 Mhz (4x2)
10-20-2014, 05:49 AM
The day that I have to rent all of my games through a streaming service or something like Steam is the day I stop playing games.

I own games that are fairly old and still play them. Numerous of their developers are no longer in business (unfortunately), or if they are, doubtless care very little for the game anymore. I also have books, movies, card games, etc. in the same situation. None of these are unavailable to me.

For example, I refuse to use Steam specifically because of section 10C, which I am unable and unwilling to agree with:
http://store.steampowered.com/subscriber_agreement/

"Valve may cancel your Account or any particular Subscription(s) at any time in the event that ... Valve ceases providing such Subscriptions to similarly situated Subscribers generally ..."

I know I'm pretty alone in this; most users are perfectly happy to pay money for something to a company who may stop providing the thing they purchased any time from 1 second after they received the money to 10 years or more entirely at the company's discretion, but me, I'm just not so naive/trusting. I like to get the things I pay for. I'm silly that way.

So will console gaming, as we know it currently, go away? Probably yes. I agree that it will end up entirely subscription based (until/unless something happens, like a company such as Sony or Steam goes out of business or loses some big licenses, and people realize this is something that can matter to them.) Will I stop playing games entirely? No, I'll just only play my old games. I have a big backlog anyway.

As to why console gaming will likely fall:

1. It used to be that a video game console provided a way for you to write and test once, and know that your game would work. But this has degraded:
1.1. Look at the New 3DS. That's exactly what consoles are supposed to NOT ever do from a developer's perspective. It just became a moving target.
1.2. Consumers now demand all games be multiplatform. So you don't have this anyway.

2. Desktops are becoming more similar to consoles.
2.1. The differentiating factors and benefits of a console are disappearing
2.2. Normal users now typically have the ability to connect their desktop to a larger screen / TV or already do.
2.3. Desktops are tending to have fewer or the same sorts of compatibility problems than the various consoles or other devices.

3. Piracy (and in some cases imagined piracy) is pushing content providers to move toward streaming gaming where the specs of a device will matter far less than its input devices and network signal.

4. Users have become more fond of online and massively multiplayer games which require a constant connection, subscription, etc. and are thus more profitable anyway.

5. Users have shown they are willing to be advertised to within games to purchase add-on content, which can be more profitable for content providers (and has seen less piracy.) This means the games have changed to a degree from a product of value to a vehicle for further sales.

The biggest blocker to streaming is still network especially in many countries, for example the United States - which is still a fairly large market. As that problem lessens, all the cards are there on the table. The only way consoles would stay alive is if consumers stop letting them die.

-[Unknown]
10-20-2014, 11:15 AM
(10-20-2014 12:26 AM)sunflowers Wrote:  Your meaning is that we can play Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo and any other games on one device? Is this possible? If possible, how do they devide the profit then?

You are going to have to pay for a Playstation Licence, and pay for the game you would like to stream, for example.

There isn’t a good structure to do such thing yet. The games would fail in lags with our current stream technology, but as I said, it just a matter of time.

Quad-Core 1.5 GHZ
2GB RAM

10-20-2014, 12:50 PM (This post was last modified: 10-20-2014 12:51 PM by Haseeb.)
Even streaming requires a console.
Cloud gaming is not possible unless you play Sega Genesis games.
Remember , Cloud gaming of games close or above PS2 level would take at least Super Fast Internet + Super Fast Computer and it'll take money about 10 times more than buying an original console.
I'm sure PS4 is being sold greatly! And it will continue.

The Signature!