Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Regression in latest builds of the emulator: Huge speed loss in some games
03-05-2014, 12:31 PM (This post was last modified: 03-05-2014 12:32 PM by sergio_zar.)
Regression in latest builds of the emulator: Huge speed loss in some games
Hi there,

I have just appreciated a huge speed loss regression in some games which previously worked flawlessly in my desktop computer.

I don't know which is the exact version of the emulator when this started to happen or what games are affected for it. Some games work as well as previously, but some other games work much worse now.

At least, the performance of titles like "OutRun 2006: Coast to Coast", "Wipeout Pure", "Wipeout Pulse" and "Riviera: The Promised Land" is now crappy to say the least.

With ppsspp-v0.9.7.2-116, these games worked flawlessly (well, not OutRun, but I am talking specfically in terms of speed) at 100% speed/framerate. But something bad must have happened between that version and, at least, ppsspp-v0.9.7.2-203. Now those games, with the same exact settings, work very bad with huge slowdowns (Riviera) or performance at half the speed than previously. I don't know when this started, or it if affects everybody, but I thought I had to warn you about it. It is not something related to that specific version, I have tried it in the last build available (ppsspp-v0.9.7.2-223) and the result is the same (bad performance in, at least, those games which in previous versions -at least since before v0.9.7.2-116- worked with 100% speed).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-05-2014, 01:00 PM (This post was last modified: 03-05-2014 01:16 PM by solarmystic.)
RE: Regression in latest builds of the emulator: Huge speed loss in some games
Hi sergio_zar,

I can't seem to reproduce the performance regressions in both Wipeout games using the latest build and also using the builds suggested in your post. I don't have any of the other games listed so I can't comment on those.

I did a performance profile comparison, monitoring CPU and GPU usage on my computer using GPUz and the Task Manager when running those games on both builds listed in your post. (ppsspp-v0.9.7.2-116 and ppsspp-v0.9.7.2-203). I did it one last time for the latest master as well, for control purposes.

They were exactly the same (GPU usage never exceeded 40% for Wipeout Pulse and 45% for Wipeout Pure, Rendering Resolution was set to 3x, every other setting was set to default), which means the demands of the emulator when running those games are also the same, between all three builds.

Both games ran at 100% (60 FPS) consistently.

Some system information from your end would be helpful, mine are listed in my signature.

Try doing what I did and see where the bottleneck is occuring (the CPU or the GPU) when the performance is horrible in the newer builds.

Last thing you can do is to reset all settings to default and try again. It could be a bad configuration mucking things up in the newer versions.

Thanks for your time.

PPSSPP Modern Testbed:-
Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.0 GHz
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 760 2GB GDDR5 VRAM @ 1138/6500 Mhz
16 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1600 MHz
Windows 7 x64 SP1

PPSSPP Ancient Testing Rig:-
Intel Core 2 Duo T9550 @ 2.8GHz
ATI Mobility Radeon 4670 1GB GDDR3 VRAM @ 843/882 MHz
8 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1066 MHz
Windows 7 x64 SP1
03-05-2014, 01:30 PM (This post was last modified: 03-05-2014 02:10 PM by sergio_zar.)
Hi, solarmystic, thank you for answering so soon.

My computer:
Dual Core Intel Pentium E5300 2.66ghz
Geforce 9600gt
3gb ram usable, because the os is 32bits.

So, just in case, I was talking about the 32bits version of the emulator. I have checked it again, and I just can say that, for example, Wipeout Pure in -203 is working in my computer at between 26/36 out of 60, at 50% speed on average. I try it afterwards with -116 and it works at 60 out of 60 at 100% speed. With exactly the same settings (which are default settings, buffered rendered,, with Anisotropic fiter off and with automatic rendering resolution. It doesn't matter, with resolution rendering in off, or in a window, works equally bad).

(LATER)
I don't know what to say, this is complete madness. Undecided

I have followed your advice and I have reset all settings to default with -223 build. What is my surprise when I check Wipeout again and now it works at 60/60 100% speed again. What is more, I have checked it with -203 build WITHOUT reset all settings to default and it also works again at 60/60 100% speed. HuhHuhHuh

I cannot understand what has happened but I don't complain either. Tongue I have changed the settings as usual (automatic resolution rendering, 1:1 resolution at full screen, vsync) and it keeps on playing ok at 60/60 100% speed.

So I guess the thread can be closed. Big Grin Riviera: The Promised Land is the only game now which works worse than before, with some strange slowdowns not present in old -116 build (First screens before actual gameplay, and then during the tutorial there are similar slowdowns to the ones in Jeanne D'arc in enemy's turns).

Anyway, thank you for everything.
03-05-2014, 02:20 PM
Good to know it's been resolved, your system shouldn't be having any issues with those games since it's marginally more powerful than mine.

PPSSPP Modern Testbed:-
Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.0 GHz
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 760 2GB GDDR5 VRAM @ 1138/6500 Mhz
16 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1600 MHz
Windows 7 x64 SP1

PPSSPP Ancient Testing Rig:-
Intel Core 2 Duo T9550 @ 2.8GHz
ATI Mobility Radeon 4670 1GB GDDR3 VRAM @ 843/882 MHz
8 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1066 MHz
Windows 7 x64 SP1