Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
PlayStation Phone
02-13-2013, 12:30 AM
PlayStation Phone
Just read this article.

http://www.xperiagamer.com/Blog/the-play...trick.html

Does anybody agree with it? Do you think the Xperia Play could have risen above its mediocre sales if Sony simply renamed it the PlayStation Phone instead? His points make at least some sense, but I'm not sure if changing the name could have made a huge difference. From my view it was kind of fan-named the PlayStation Phone. Even people who see me with it now and don't know the official name will call it by that, if not "the phone with a game controller." I'm curious what some other people think.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-13-2013, 04:11 AM
RE: PlayStation Phone
I think regardless of the name the specs were just to lackluster at the time that only a select few were even interested.

If it came out as a dual core like the atrix did around the sametime then more people would of got it and the controller be a bonus, instead you had to want the controller and accept a mediocre specs in trade.

Also im not a fan of its apperance, id like a squarer, slimmer, and more higher end Sony look, instead its clearly designed by erricson who I heard wanted it.released.much more then Sony. Id like.something like this but with analog nubs
http://www.ubergizmo.com/wp-content/uplo...Play-2.jpg
I think a cutting edge phone with a look.comparable to.what the persons others choices.wouuld be then a lot more people would get interested in it...
02-13-2013, 10:05 PM
(02-13-2013 04:11 AM)xperiaplay2someday Wrote:  I think regardless of the name the specs were just to lackluster at the time that only a select few were even interested.

If it came out as a dual core like the atrix did around the sametime then more people would of got it and the controller be a bonus, instead you had to want the controller and accept a mediocre specs in trade.

Also im not a fan of its apperance, id like a squarer, slimmer, and more higher end Sony look, instead its clearly designed by erricson who I heard wanted it.released.much more then Sony. Id like.something like this but with analog nubs
http://www.ubergizmo.com/wp-content/uplo...Play-2.jpg
I think a cutting edge phone with a look.comparable to.what the persons others choices.wouuld be then a lot more people would get interested in it...

I can definitely agree with that. I like the way my phone looks, but that concept image I have to say would have been better. Another thing I think kind of killed it was reviews from big names that gave the XPlay a lot more crap than it deserved. Yeah, it wasn't as powerful as some phones that came out at the same time, but it wasn't really badly under powered. Heck, it still runs everything I want it to now with great speed. Haven't had a problem yet. I have to conserve internal memory as much as possible but that's about it. I remember GameInformer, who had been putting out a bunch of articles getting people interested in the Play, completely trashed it when it came out, criticizing the lack of spare RAM as if the things the phone didn't have the ability to do anything more than make a phone call. There's a ton of people who read those articles, and the negative reviews from most places couldn't have helped things. I do agree with the article in that there's a huge lack of interest from Sony however. The Xperia Play made a huge impact on the smartphone world. Tons of game's on the Android Market started adding support for the Play's controls, it still remains unique with the gamepad, it drew copious amounts of attention from blogs and articles, and there are still a bunch of people who still use the phone, and people who cling to rumors of a successor to the Play. Sony surely knows about all the fan-attention for the Play, and it met sales expectation, (it didn't fail as many people thought) but Sony just isn't into the idea right now, nor were they ever. Nevertheless, I still love my Play, and hope to see a #2 someday.
02-13-2013, 11:47 PM (This post was last modified: 02-13-2013 11:49 PM by HD2MAX.)
I did not buy one by the bad sony decisions with the hardware, old hardware, bad camera, no expansion sd card, little screen size, no radio if bad no remember etc

Now the problem is vita... Sony has a problem here for a new xperia play2...

But if any time is a reallity, analog for me the psp analog pad x2 is better that xperia play maybe?

and big screen size 5 minimum, high end hardware, with L2/R2, 2G RAM, best camera, sd card, radio fm, etc etc

But with vita and with problems...
02-14-2013, 01:09 AM
(02-13-2013 11:47 PM)HD2MAX Wrote:  I did not buy one by the bad sony decisions with the hardware, old hardware, bad camera, no expansion sd card, little screen size, no radio if bad no remember etc

Now the problem is vita... Sony has a problem here for a new xperia play2...

But if any time is a reallity, analog for me the psp analog pad x2 is better that xperia play maybe?

and big screen size 5 minimum, high end hardware, with L2/R2, 2G RAM, best camera, sd card, radio fm, etc etc

But with vita and with problems...

I'm not sure I understand most of what you're trying to say. I can say it did have sd card expansion. As for radio, cell phones have to be able to pick up radio to receive calls. "No remember" I take to mean the small internal memory, which I can agree with. It should have been better. Not really a problem with root, but it shouldn't have to come to that. I can only guess that "But if any time is a reallity, analog for me the psp analog pad x2 is better that xperia play maybe?" means you're criticizing the touchpads, and would rather there have been actual analog sticks. True full analog is superior, but the touchpads were a real work of genius in my opinion. A lot of people criticized the Play for being too fat. (I thought it was fine.) The touchpads gave analog control without the bulk of actual analog sticks. The biggest issue I've seen people have with them is developers trying to code for them. Apparently it is, as Henrik described, "witchcraft." But support for them has gotten much better from when the Play first launched. Many a game developer, or emulator creator has gotten them working flawlessly. Your suggestions for a better Xperia Play are good as long as you're willing to foot the bill for hardware like that. 2GB of RAM is equivalent to my PC. But L2 and R2 buttons I think would take up too much space below the current L and R triggers. Maybe if they were where the volume buttons currently are it would keep them from having to make the phone approximately an inch thick. I know OnLive uses the volume keys for L2 and R2 in games it streams to the Play. Volume keys could just be put on the opposite side, or even removed completely as newer android OS has on-screen buttons. Hopes and dreams I guess. I wouldn't expect any plans on that though until Sony gets good sales with the Vita. Which, by the way is awesome. It's a PS3 just made portable. Just wish I could afford one.
02-14-2013, 05:23 PM (This post was last modified: 02-14-2013 05:30 PM by HD2MAX.)
Yes sorry my bad, I got confused with the internal memory, now no problem with sd cards 64gb capacity, but in the launch day of experia, only 8bg sdcard and no internal with other 8 16 etc, seemed a bit limited to only the sd, but that meant I got confused thinking otherwise (only internal and no sd, sorry)

In the other issue, analog sticks xperia, just wondering, I've never tried those analog, maybe are a great idea as you say, in that I can not give my opinion without trying, so I wondered if it would be a physical psp pads best option or xperia pads is best

The price question, I remember the xperia play, it was not exactly cheap in my country at least

My english is bad, sorry for the grammar etc.

Edit LR2 buttons, no problem for my if in same line both, without the need for thicker how neo geo x for eg

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/gameli...f95-FT.jpg

[Image: xl_Neo-Geo-X-Bottom-624.jpg]
02-14-2013, 09:38 PM
(02-14-2013 05:23 PM)HD2MAX Wrote:  Yes sorry my bad, I got confused with the internal memory, now no problem with sd cards 64gb capacity, but in the launch day of experia, only 8bg sdcard and no internal with other 8 16 etc, seemed a bit limited to only the sd, but that meant I got confused thinking otherwise (only internal and no sd, sorry)

In the other issue, analog sticks xperia, just wondering, I've never tried those analog, maybe are a great idea as you say, in that I can not give my opinion without trying, so I wondered if it would be a physical psp pads best option or xperia pads is best

The price question, I remember the xperia play, it was not exactly cheap in my country at least

My english is bad, sorry for the grammar etc.

Edit LR2 buttons, no problem for my if in same line both, without the need for thicker how neo geo x for eg

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/gameli...f95-FT.jpg

[Image: xl_Neo-Geo-X-Bottom-624.jpg]

Well, touchpads to full analog sticks again, full analog is better but makes a bigger phone. If they did those analog sliders similar to what the 3DS has then that could be a solution. L2 and R2 buttons in line works yes. I feel stupid for not seeing that point. The Xperia Play was expensive. Uncontracted I saw some going for about $350 United States dollars. (I got mine for free with contract from Verizon.) So think about how much more expensive a device with all of the best quality hardware you are asking for would cost.
02-15-2013, 04:42 AM (This post was last modified: 02-15-2013 04:54 AM by xperiaplay2someday.)
That top view of the neo geo x looks like it would be a great design for a play 2.

I dont agree with the touchpads though, they are overly sensitive and feel no better then a relocated touchscreen set up. Sure the metal thing in the middle helps to hold your thumb on the pad the whole time without moving the stick like a touchscreen,but still am moving my thumb across a flat surface with no tactile feedback(cept for the metal things) tactile feedback is what the play is supposed to be about... I dont get precise analog feeling at all. A joystick is a.totally different league. Playing Mario 64 with the touchpad for example feels ok at best to me...

I do love my play but its design and spec choices and software support make me cringe.

Edit: id feel just fine paying 600+ for full unsubsidized version with top of the line a15 Cpu and new adreno Gpu with oled screen or something
02-15-2013, 01:49 PM
(02-15-2013 04:42 AM)xperiaplay2someday Wrote:  That top view of the neo geo x looks like it would be a great design for a play 2.

I dont agree with the touchpads though, they are overly sensitive and feel no better then a relocated touchscreen set up. Sure the metal thing in the middle helps to hold your thumb on the pad the whole time without moving the stick like a touchscreen,but still am moving my thumb across a flat surface with no tactile feedback(cept for the metal things) tactile feedback is what the play is supposed to be about... I dont get precise analog feeling at all. A joystick is a.totally different league. Playing Mario 64 with the touchpad for example feels ok at best to me...

I do love my play but its design and spec choices and software support make me cringe.

Edit: id feel just fine paying 600+ for full unsubsidized version with top of the line a15 Cpu and new adreno Gpu with oled screen or something

The Neo Geo X looks cool, but I'm not so sure about the buttons being on the phone. I like the fact that I can slide mine in and out. The touchpad sensitivity depend on how each programmer decides to read the tuochpad. It's not the hardware itself when it's overly sensitive, or nowhere near sensitive enough. (Black Ops Zombies) Mupen's support for it felt okay to me, but by far the best touchpad implementation I've ever seen was in Dead Space. But the touchpads were to complicated for most developers to make effective use of. So I do think that they should be replaced, just with something small and effective, like a slider.