Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
[Solved] Problems with multiple controllers connected to one computer
02-09-2014, 06:14 PM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2014 11:54 PM by Sarisa81.)
[Solved] Problems with multiple controllers connected to one computer
I run Windows 7 SP1 64-bit. I first ran into this problem on 0.9.6-r784, but version doesn't seem to matter much; I had the same problem on 0.9.1-r502.

I have a dock for my laptop, with USB ports on the back, more than the laptop itself has. Usually my controller (a Logitech Dual Action, old but it works) remains plugged into one of those ports on the dock.

When I plugged a different controller (a no-name pseudo-NES controller) into one of the USB ports on the laptop itself, the NES controller seemed to take over as "the" controller recognized by PPSSPP. Obviously I couldn't play the game that way but it did recognize button input. PPSSPP did not recognize the PS2 controller at all; it would not accept any input whatsoever from it, even in the control mapping screen. Rearranging controllers, restarting, etc. had no effect; the quickest fix was System Restore!

If I unplug the PS2 controller first then plug in the NES controller I do not have this problem.

The only good hint I got as to what was going on was when I turned on FCEUX and tried to get its controller mapping to work; it recognized the NES controller as "JS 0" (normally it recognizes whatever controller is plugged in as JS 0) and the PS2 controller as "JS 255".

I know that's not a very helpful report, but I would like to get to the bottom of what's going on here and would be willing to provide whatever other information is needed.

I only use PPSSPP on Windows.
Intel Core i3 1.9GHz | 4GB RAM | Integrated Intel HD 4400 | Windows 8.1 x64
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-09-2014, 09:04 PM
RE: Problems with multiple controllers connected to one computer
System Restore was a bit extreme. PPSSPP only reads from the first joystick connected (and I think new controllers connected auto assign themselves as the first, correct me if I'm wrong), when it's using DirectInput. The solution is simple (or it's been the same for everyone else who has asked so far, in regards to DirectInput controllers not working): First close PPSSPP. Go to Control Panel, search for "USB game" without the quotes, and click the "Set up USB game controllers" option that appears in the results. Then click Advanced, and under the Preferred device dropdown, select the controller you're wanting to use with PPSSPP. After that, reopen PPSSPP and it should work.

4GHz AMD 3900X, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 6GB Nvidia RTX 2060, Asus Crosshair 7 Hero (Wifi), Linux
How to ask useful questions: https://web.archive.org/web/20110214010944/http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
I'm not Dark_Alex, nor do I claim to be. Our nicknames are merely coincidence.
02-09-2014, 11:21 PM
RE: Problems with multiple controllers connected to one computer
This works like a charm. I'd never even heard of the game controller configuration window.

Is there a sticky about this I missed?

I only use PPSSPP on Windows.
Intel Core i3 1.9GHz | 4GB RAM | Integrated Intel HD 4400 | Windows 8.1 x64
02-10-2014, 03:40 AM
RE: [Solved] Problems with multiple controllers connected to one computer
Not currently, no. We should probably add this to the PPSSPP FAQs.

4GHz AMD 3900X, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 6GB Nvidia RTX 2060, Asus Crosshair 7 Hero (Wifi), Linux
How to ask useful questions: https://web.archive.org/web/20110214010944/http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
I'm not Dark_Alex, nor do I claim to be. Our nicknames are merely coincidence.
07-02-2014, 07:35 AM
RE: [Solved] Problems with multiple controllers connected to one computer
Wow thanks, it really works like a charm!
I plugged in a PS2 controller but PPSSPP didn't recognize it, but after following the steps above, it worked! Smile

Testing PPSSPP on:

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.4
iPad 4, iOS 7.0.4

ASUS Notebook
Windows 8 64-Bit
8GB RAM, Intel Core i7 processor @ 2,3 GHz
nVidia Geforce GT 635M 2GB