Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
TAS/re-recording features?
01-25-2014, 11:43 AM
TAS/re-recording features?
Are they coming to PPSSPP at all? PSP tool assisted speedruns would be very nice to do and watch. Did quite a few searches, didn't find an answer. Obviously save states are already there but what about the other functions such as frame advance, all the other TAS tools. Is this the right section to ask? :O /forumnoob
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-25-2014, 12:43 PM
RE: TAS/re-recording features?
It's already been requested in the PPSSPP Feature Request Page thread.
Find all posts by this user
01-25-2014, 12:50 PM (This post was last modified: 01-25-2014 12:51 PM by BrosephJ.)
I see "78#Add TAS interface [req. by BaalZebub,peronmls]" but that's a bit vague isn't it?

Would this include frame advance, movie record/playback, memory viewing, input viewer, frame counter and lua scripting? Did I miss anything?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-25-2014, 01:21 PM (This post was last modified: 01-25-2014 01:28 PM by Bigpet.)
We have slight issues with timing. PPSSPP is a HLE and that means that it doesn't minutely emulate the core systems. This means that loading times and general calls to sce* functions have different time behavior. Usually it's just an estimate whether games rely upon a wait time or not (you'll read a lot of "I guess we should eat some cycles here" comments in the source code).

It's probably not impossible for all games but it seems rather unlikely that a TAS created with PPSSPP would run unmodified on a real PSP for most games.

As for a memory viewer (and we do count frames internally), it's already there, the rest seems rather unlikely to be tackled in the very near future unless someone takes a special interest in implementing it themselves. Theoretically scripted access and recording of the input, frame-stepping and screenshot function may help with automated test scenarios and test-case reproduction but I don't think it's going to happen very soon.

This is all just my opinion of course, this is an open source project and if someone takes this on enthusiastically you might see it next week but it's just unlikely in my opinion.
01-25-2014, 07:56 PM
It should be possible to get it deterministic between runs on the same version of PPSSPP, but yeah, the prospect of running them on a real PSP is dicey for those reasons indeed, especially loading times and I/O can have drastically different timing than the real hardware.

Also, before we implement re-recording, we need to implement regular recording, we don't have that yet Tongue
01-25-2014, 08:54 PM
This would be an awesome feature.
02-03-2014, 05:11 PM
Personally I feel that whether or not a TAS made with PPSSPP runs on a real PSP matters little, even just getting some re-recording scripts would be great IMO.
03-03-2014, 10:53 PM
(01-25-2014 12:50 PM)BrosephJ Wrote:  I see "78#Add TAS interface [req. by BaalZebub,peronmls]" but that's a bit vague isn't it?

Would this include frame advance, movie record/playback, memory viewing, input viewer, frame counter and lua scripting? Did I miss anything?

All it needs is just avi recording and call it a day because im all hyped for it.
05-08-2014, 12:13 PM
And addtion to that make the Emulator have a slowdown feature.
05-08-2014, 01:49 PM
(05-08-2014 12:13 PM)Valis77 Wrote:  And addtion to that make the Emulator have a slowdown feature.

You can use "Alternative speed" for that Smile

♦ Intel Core i7-6700HQ | 16 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M | Debian Testing
♦ Intel Core i7-2630QM | 4 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M | Debian Testing
♦ PSP-3004 | 6.60 PRO-C2
06-10-2014, 02:03 PM
(05-08-2014 01:49 PM)vnctdj Wrote:  
(05-08-2014 12:13 PM)Valis77 Wrote:  And addtion to that make the Emulator have a slowdown feature.

You can use "Alternative speed" for that Smile

true but when i want to speed it up via Audacity double speed (normal) it sounds distorted.