Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Can ppsspp for Linux be optimized?
01-06-2014, 07:06 PM
Can ppsspp for Linux be optimized?
Can ppsspp for Linux be optimized like Dolphin-emu can or could? Not sure if you still can optimize Dolphin-emu.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-07-2014, 02:11 AM
RE: Can ppsspp for Linux be optimized?
It is already optimised for Linux. It uses OpenGL and C++. Nothing left to optimise Smile
01-07-2014, 02:35 AM
I suppose there are some things that could be better optimized for Linux to a small degree, but by and large it runs fine.

What is it that you want optimized? If it's slow on a desktop Linux install, it's probably bad graphics drivers. I can tell you that you want the NVIDIA drivers, for example, if you have an NVIDIA card.

-[Unknown]
01-07-2014, 01:09 PM
(01-07-2014 02:35 AM)[Unknown] Wrote:  I suppose there are some things that could be better optimized for Linux to a small degree, but by and large it runs fine.

What is it that you want optimized? If it's slow on a desktop Linux install, it's probably bad graphics drivers. I can tell you that you want the NVIDIA drivers, for example, if you have an NVIDIA card.

-[Unknown]

Thanks for the reply, I was just wondering if it could or not.
I have a guy on another forum saying he uses Karen(angelXwind)'s builds and says they work great, so I was trying to figure out what is the difference between my builds and hers besides I offer Qt in mine.

Btw I have a geforce 650Ti O.C edition, ppsspp was why I chose Nvidia over Amd cards.
01-08-2014, 12:14 PM
Quote:Thanks for the reply, I was just wondering if it could or not.
I have a guy on another forum saying he uses Karen(angelXwind)'s builds and says they work great, so I was trying to figure out what is the difference between my builds and hers besides I offer Qt in mine.

Btw I have a geforce 650Ti O.C edition, ppsspp was why I chose Nvidia over Amd cards.

SDL is a lot better than Qt version. Qt version has stuttering sound. SDL is light on resources.
01-09-2014, 05:25 AM
(01-08-2014 12:14 PM)fastrizwaan Wrote:  
Quote:Thanks for the reply, I was just wondering if it could or not.

SDL is a lot better than Qt version. Qt version has stuttering sound. SDL is light on resources.

Oh I didn't know SDL was better then Qt, but when I compile ppsspp I do both and upload them. So I really didn't see how her SDL was better then mine, I know sometimes her site is down to.
I will have to check out the SDL and Qt cause I haven't heard the sound stutter or just never paid attention.
01-09-2014, 05:39 AM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2014 05:41 AM by xsacha.)
The SDL and Qt one should have the same performance.
Sound should be identical in both unless your distro hasn't done QtMultimedia properly. Certainly in Qt5 every distro should have proper sound. It's normal to not hear sound stutter.
This is my experience anyway. I've tried about 4 distros so far.

The Qt version is actually better because you have a real menu and ability to switch fullscreen and use hotkeys.
01-09-2014, 07:59 AM
(01-09-2014 05:39 AM)xsacha Wrote:  The SDL and Qt one should have the same performance.
Sound should be identical in both unless your distro hasn't done QtMultimedia properly. Certainly in Qt5 every distro should have proper sound. It's normal to not hear sound stutter.
This is my experience anyway. I've tried about 4 distros so far.

The Qt version is actually better because you have a real menu and ability to switch fullscreen and use hotkeys.

That was what I thought but wasn't sure, I did read Qt5 was better then Qt4 but I had problems trying to compile with Qt5 so I installed Qt4 and don't hear any stuttering.
01-09-2014, 08:51 AM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2014 08:52 AM by xsacha.)
For most distros, Qt4 will be exactly the same as Qt5. For eg. I'm on Ubuntu 12.10 right now and they are exactly the same with audio and performance.
Qt5 is only better if you are having issues with audio.
01-09-2014, 11:39 AM
(01-09-2014 08:51 AM)xsacha Wrote:  For most distros, Qt4 will be exactly the same as Qt5. For eg. I'm on Ubuntu 12.10 right now and they are exactly the same with audio and performance.
Qt5 is only better if you are having issues with audio.

I see what your saying, thanks for the help.