Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
if . . .
10-19-2013, 03:51 AM
if . . .
my brother ask me what android phone would be best suited for ppsspp app. & i said i dunno, i'll just ask ppsspp forum members,
* so, if we were to buy a new phone or customize my own(if possible)
* What would be the most suited android SPECIFICATIONS, or hardware/software materials brand/type etc. like what cpu,gpu, ram & stuff. ??

thanks..

that would be all,
*globe94*

Reality is a Lovely Place, But i Wouldn't Wanna Live There..
• • gLoBe ~
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-19-2013, 09:24 AM (This post was last modified: 10-19-2013 09:34 AM by stodag.)
RE: if . . .
1ghz plus.. matched with a good GPU.. ie, Mali 400 etc.
You can find them on a lot of new models.
A9 CPU if you can.. or an A15 would be betterSmile preferably dual core if you can.

Edit: I'm using a y300... dual core A5, adreno 203.. I'm still hopefull as I already have descent speeds.
Note, as the emu progress and further optimizations are made, the requirements may lower.

S TO DA G
10-19-2013, 09:52 AM
well, stodag, i use a 1.2ghz snapdragon dualcore with adreno203 gpu too, and the performance is ranging from AWESOME to Moderate speeds too.
anyway, were looking now at a local phone with this specs,
*Allwinner A31s 1.ghz Quadcore
* 1gb DDR3
* GPU (dont know the gpu yet,its a new brand . no reviews yet on the net.)

and

* a Samsung exynos 1.5ghz quadcore
* 1gb DDR3

thats all i can see,the poster do not have much details..

• • gLoBe ~
10-19-2013, 10:00 AM (This post was last modified: 10-19-2013 10:07 AM by stodag.)
Clock speed is irrelevant at the moment until further optimizations.. my brother has an s4 and its as slow if not slower.
I've also used an L3: 600 MHz and it gets the same speeds as mine.

If it was down to clock speed, a 1.5/2ghz dual core device would be enouph.. without frameskipp.
Rule of thumb is you need about ten times the CPU of the system your emulating and that's using LLE, ppsspp is done using HLE.. therefor its a lot more optimized so that rule doesn't apply.

S TO DA G
10-19-2013, 10:08 AM
at the moment? do u mean clock will be useful in the future? then, we'll take a higher clock phone in account.

and, what about the RAM and type of GPU ? its also considered right??

• • gLoBe ~
10-19-2013, 10:20 AM (This post was last modified: 10-19-2013 10:30 AM by stodag.)
Yes, more than likely..
Ram: ppsspp uses a maximum if 100 Mb ram, so as long as youve enouph left.. should be fine.
GPU .. is the most important aspect, the better the the GPU the better the emulationSmile (not sayin old GPUs arnt good).. its just that you will run into certain problems with old GPUs ..
I would advise at this moment to use either a Adreno or Mali...as power vr has issues still I think.

IMO .. a good cheap device would be Galaxy s2.. good GPU/CPU .

Edit: I'm only using 512 mb ram.

In LLE.. your emulatin the entire system, whereas HLE your emulatin the way the system (psp in this case) responds to a game.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-level_emulation

I copied the last part from here... I knew what I meant but not how to word it. good luck.

S TO DA G
10-19-2013, 10:27 AM
my Snapdragon processor,is it good enough? hehe..

and the OS version? is doesnt matter right? as long as its not custom rom?

• • gLoBe ~
10-19-2013, 10:41 AM (This post was last modified: 10-19-2013 10:45 AM by stodag.)
1, Maybe couldn't say.. that's why a dev doesn't reply to such questions until the emulation reach a peak.

2, OS version.. Jelly bean is rapid at the moment.. but if you get a jelly bean device make sure its got more ram(for gaming in general not Ppsspp) eg 512 mb ram in which 300+ is hogged by the system. but ppsspp won't be affected.

3.. Custom rom, can help with ram for smoother gameplay (removing bloatware) that's gaming in general (android games) but if heard about problems concernin ppsspp graphic issues etc, so I would stick with stock.

FCK my fingers are killin lol

Concernin ram, the more the better for your deviceSmile

S TO DA G
10-19-2013, 10:51 AM
i see,
Naruhodo (in japanese)

so to sum it up, based on my brothers list and your info

preferrable phone would be,

* a 1.2 or 1.5ghz , atleast dualcore(but my bro wants a quadcore)

* atleast 512mb ram, (we have 1gb here)

* an Adreno gpu, ( i have a tablet with Mali, and it always says "Hardware transform failed, falling back to software mode" message while in game. ( i wonder why?)

thats it right?

• • gLoBe ~
10-19-2013, 11:14 AM (This post was last modified: 10-19-2013 11:15 AM by stodag.)
Yes that's right.. strange about hardware fail?? maybe you should report this, it gives a large speed boost so without your running slow.
Perhaps an Adreno.. which seems like the best GPU by users results.

S TO DA G
10-19-2013, 12:22 PM
i'll make more experiments, if still "hardware trans. failed" i'll report. i only tried it on SOCOM.

anyways, tnx bro! +1 for you..

• • gLoBe ~
10-19-2013, 01:12 PM (This post was last modified: 10-19-2013 01:18 PM by stodag.)
thx man.. no problemSmile
glad I could help.

S TO DA G