Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
sound issues
10-06-2013, 02:55 AM (This post was last modified: 10-08-2013 04:06 PM by emjeeman.)
sound issues
Hi!

I'm really digging this emulator and the interface is beautiful. Nice work Smile

However, I am experiencing some problems.

First off, I'm using 0.9.1 which I downloaded off the site's download section just a few days ago.

1) EDIT: SOLVED

2) I'm experiencing some real slowdown in the sound and it sounds jerky/static-ish/stuttering. The game runs at fine speed and video looks great. It's just the primary sound is slow and poor quality. Audio that requires Atrac3+ works fine, though. If it may be the cause, I'm playing Mega Man Powered Up, a Capcom game. I haven't had the time to test with other games, though.
More on this issue: in the first few seconds of playing (Mega Man Powered Up in my case), the sound is great. A few seconds later, though, the quality and speed drops gradually to a certain low. Then the sound is slow, jittery/stuttering. The quality just flat-out deteriorates down to a low level.
Even more info: the sound especially stutters when there's a lot going on, on the screen. For example, if I'm on a menu with lots of animation, the sound quality drops. When I switch to another menu that's just a still image, the sound goes back to playing very nicely.
So it seems like the primary sound is taking a hit when the game is more busy.

Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-06-2013, 02:57 AM
RE: Cheats menu not appearing, sound issues
Regarding #1: 0.9.1 stable/official doesn't have the cheats menu(it didn't exist at that point in time). Use a recent development build to get access to it.

4GHz AMD 3900X, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 6GB Nvidia RTX 2060, Asus Crosshair 7 Hero (Wifi), Linux
How to ask useful questions: https://web.archive.org/web/20110214010944/http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
I'm not Dark_Alex, nor do I claim to be. Our nicknames are merely coincidence.
10-06-2013, 03:05 AM
Ah, thanks! Yeah, the following replies in that linked thread do indicate it, but I quickly just read the first post, thinking it was a locked sticky with no replies, heh.

So just 1 issue left.
10-06-2013, 04:02 PM
Bump...
10-06-2013, 05:05 PM
Quote:...But for some reason, the "Cheats" menu never appears in the pause menu. I made sure the "Enable Cheats" is ticked; I've put in some cheats into the game's cheat ini file. But the Cheats option never appears as shown in the linked image.

Interesting.
But how do you pause the game? Esc?
10-06-2013, 11:18 PM (This post was last modified: 10-06-2013 11:19 PM by dlanor.)
(10-06-2013 05:05 PM)KeyToTruth12 Wrote:  
Quote:...But for some reason, the "Cheats" menu never appears in the pause menu. I made sure the "Enable Cheats" is ticked; I've put in some cheats into the game's cheat ini file. But the Cheats option never appears as shown in the linked image.

Interesting.
On the PC version 'Esc' key should do it.
For the OUYA I've configured it to use the L3 button of the gamepad.

Best regards: dlanor
10-07-2013, 11:06 AM
(10-06-2013 11:18 PM)dlanor Wrote:  
(10-06-2013 05:05 PM)KeyToTruth12 Wrote:  

Interesting.
On the PC version 'Esc' key should do it.
For the OUYA I've configured it to use the L3 button of the gamepad.

I pressed the Esc key while in PPSSPP and it didn't do anything. Nothing.
10-07-2013, 11:23 AM (This post was last modified: 10-07-2013 11:25 AM by SeiRyuu.)
@KeyToTruth12 use latest version
or you already mapped "pause" button

my english is poor , sorry
10-07-2013, 01:09 PM
And it only works while in game.
10-07-2013, 02:35 PM
(10-07-2013 11:23 AM)SeiRyuu Wrote:  @KeyToTruth12 use latest version
or you already mapped "pause" button

Turns out the controls setting were carried out by an older version of PPSSPP, so I had to click reset to default.
10-08-2013, 04:07 PM (This post was last modified: 10-08-2013 04:08 PM by emjeeman.)
RE: sound issues
Sorry, let's keep this more on-topic. I've edited my first post and thread title to update the situation and to reduce confusion. The cheats menu problem has been solved and I only have the sound issue. To restate the issue:

I'm experiencing some real slowdown in the sound and it sounds jerky/static-ish/stuttering. The game runs at fine speed and video looks great. It's just the primary sound is slow and poor quality. Audio that requires Atrac3+ works fine, though. If it may be the cause, I'm playing Mega Man Powered Up, a Capcom game. I haven't had the time to test with other games, though.
More on this issue: in the first few seconds of playing (Mega Man Powered Up in my case), the sound is great. A few seconds later, though, the sound quality and sound speed drop gradually to a certain low. Then the sound is slow, jittery/stuttering. The quality just flat-out deteriorates down to a low level.
Even more info: the sound especially stutters when there's a lot going on, on the screen. For example, if I'm on a menu with lots of animation, the sound quality drops. When I switch to another menu that's just a still image, the sound goes back to playing very nicely.
So it seems like the primary sound is taking a hit when the game is more busy. Any way to optimize the performance so this doesn't happen?
10-09-2013, 01:28 PM (This post was last modified: 10-09-2013 01:29 PM by dlanor.)
(10-08-2013 04:07 PM)emjeeman Wrote:  I'm experiencing some real slowdown in the sound and it sounds jerky/static-ish/stuttering. The game runs at fine speed and video looks great. It's just the primary sound is slow and poor quality. Audio that requires Atrac3+ works fine, though. If it may be the cause, I'm playing Mega Man Powered Up, a Capcom game. I haven't had the time to test with other games, though.
More on this issue: in the first few seconds of playing (Mega Man Powered Up in my case), the sound is great. A few seconds later, though, the sound quality and sound speed drop gradually to a certain low. Then the sound is slow, jittery/stuttering. The quality just flat-out deteriorates down to a low level.
So it seems like the primary sound is taking a hit when the game is more busy. Any way to optimize the performance so this doesn't happen?

What you describe seems to be a generic lack of processing power causing these slowdowns, in which case the usual remedies of reducing fancy features may help.

I noticed an increase in slowdown problems myself recently (on my OUYA), most of which disappeared when I set 'Frameskip' to 'Auto'.

10-13-2013, 12:10 AM
YES! Thank you so much, that pretty much solved the problem Big Grin
10-13-2013, 11:34 PM
So this thread can be closed?