Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Original PSP font fix on Android
09-10-2013, 03:30 AM
Original PSP font fix on Android
Okay, first off, I'm aware that this has already been discussed in the Lunar game thread but it was suggested that I post it here as well (in hopes that someone can help us fix this). The problem is this: PSSPP's font is not the same as the actual PSP's hardware font. That poses no problems for most games, but some (Lunar Silver Star Harmony included) end up displaying improperly because of it. The result in Lunar is that text gets cutoff heavily in many lines.

Now - a solution was discovered in the Lunar thread - one which involves ripping the original fonts from the actual PSP hardware and replacing the font folder in the PPSSPP install. Here's where the issue comes in. The android APK of PPSSPP doesnt appear to create a "font" folder anywhere (at the very least, it doesn't for some of us). I've searched all over my phone and also tried just adding the font folder myself anyway and nothing works.

Does anyone know where the font folder needs to be placed for the android version? Or how to get the android version to incorporate the original PSP fonts?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-10-2013, 03:45 AM
RE: Original PSP font fix on Android
Hello there. While I myself have only ever used the windows version I don't know if it's the same for android but font folder in window is inside another folder called flash0. Again I don't know if it's the same on android but that's how it is on windows.
09-10-2013, 05:40 AM
Yeah, unfortunately I've tried placing the font folder in a flash0 folder as well and it still doesn't work... I really appreciate the response though! The android version installs to 2 different locations but neither of them have a flash0 or font folder... :-(
09-10-2013, 06:07 AM
There is a flash0 folder with font folder inside of it inside the .apk of PPSSPP. I tried to change it with a font folder I downloaded online stating it's he's default font in his PSP 2002. I recompile the edited PPSSPP.apk and it won't allow me to install it after that. o.O
09-10-2013, 06:25 AM (This post was last modified: 09-10-2013 06:25 AM by livisor.)
I don't quite understand the process but once you modify an .apk you need to re-sign it.The easiest way is for some dev to make the font folder accesible like on windows when they have some free time Smile
09-10-2013, 09:42 AM
Sorry. I'm not a good English speaker. Sad But I'm not quite sure if an apk has to be re-signed. And I don't know how to re-sign Big Grin I manage to edit my Mms.apk and i just recompile it without "re-signing" it and I just replaced the orig Mms.apk on my phone and it worked. Sorry if you find it off-topic.
09-10-2013, 02:59 PM
Yeah I guess I'll just have to cross my fingers that someone will incorporate the font folder :-) I understand that including the PSP original fonts in PPSSPP is illegal (due to some copyright laws) but incorporating a font folder into the Android version (much like the PC version) shouldn't be outside the realm of possibility I'd think
09-10-2013, 04:02 PM
Did you uninstall the prior apk first? PPSSPP doesn't seem to overwrite itself very well on Android.

4GHz AMD 3900X, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 6GB Nvidia RTX 2060, Asus Crosshair 7 Hero (Wifi), Linux
How to ask useful questions: https://web.archive.org/web/20110214010944/http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
I'm not Dark_Alex, nor do I claim to be. Our nicknames are merely coincidence.
09-10-2013, 11:52 PM
(09-10-2013 04:02 PM)daxtsu Wrote:  Did you uninstall the prior apk first? PPSSPP doesn't seem to overwrite itself very well on Android.

I'm always overwriting PPSSPP whenever I update it. I don't think that's the problem. Maybe we really can't modify it by ourselves. Maybe there's self-protection feature. LOL
09-11-2013, 02:18 AM
I've just been updating normally as I go (without a fresh install). However, since I started having this issue, one completely uninstalled and reinstalled twice - still no font folder :-(
09-24-2013, 08:46 AM
I'm having same issue with fonts.
How do i force ppsspp android version to use original PSP font?

Apple Ipad Mini Retina 16GB Wi-Fi
09-26-2013, 09:21 AM (This post was last modified: 09-26-2013 09:22 AM by spajdr.)
Ok, i don't have it confirmed yet, but to replace the fonts with one you get from original PSP, you need to do this.

Download .apk of PPSSPP where you want to exchange the font
Open .apk file with WinRAR
Go to assets/flash0/fonts -> remove all font files and copy your font files there
Now close the WinRAR

Download APK Easy Disassembler

[Image: EAD.png]

Choose Option 4 (sign an APK)

Enter the full name of .apk file

After few seconds signed apk file will be created.

Move to it your Android device and try it.

10-19-2013, 03:51 AM
(09-26-2013 09:21 AM)spajdr Wrote:  Ok, i don't have it confirmed yet, but to replace the fonts with one you get from original PSP, you need to do this.

Download .apk of PPSSPP where you want to exchange the font
Open .apk file with WinRAR
Go to assets/flash0/fonts -> remove all font files and copy your font files there
Now close the WinRAR

Download APK Easy Disassembler

[Image: EAD.png]

Choose Option 4 (sign an APK)

Enter the full name of .apk file

After few seconds signed apk file will be created.

Move to it your Android device and try it.

I did exactly this but unfortunately no good APK wouldn't install for the life of me, thanks for the thought though.
10-19-2013, 05:54 AM
Easier way that now works with latest builds:

1. Create a folder "flash0" under PSP on your Android storage, and "font" inside that.
2. Copy the fonts to this folder you created.
3. Enjoy.

-[Unknown]
10-20-2013, 07:46 AM
Thank you very much for this mr. Unknown, that worked !