Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Change PPSSPP memstick path?
09-06-2013, 06:50 PM (This post was last modified: 09-06-2013 06:51 PM by ShedoSurashu.)
Change PPSSPP memstick path?
So I just got a PSP 3000. Inside the memory stick, I placed PPSSPP so that when I have the PSP connected via USB, I can still continue gaming on any PC/laptop I get my hands on. I was wondering how I could remap the memstick path? Right now, PPSSPP places the save data into memstick\PSP\SAVEDATA. I want to make it so that it skips memstick and jumps directly to the PSP folder. That way, I can just place PPSSPP on the root of the memory stick and it will use the same save data as the actual PSP.

Any ideas?

☕ PSP-3001 CFW 6.60 PRO-B10
▶▶ Twin Blades | Shin Megami Tensei: Persona | 探偵オペラ ミルキィホームズ
✦ http://j.mp/Backloggery
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-06-2013, 08:13 PM (This post was last modified: 09-06-2013 08:19 PM by mr.chya.)
RE: Change PPSSPP memstick path?
Um no? PPSSPP is a PlayStation Portable emulator meant to be used on PCs Laptops and certain cellphones to play psp games without a psp. As far as I am aware you shouldn't even be able to use PPSSPP on it nor is there a reason for you to.

Oh also to use your saves from the psp all you should need to do is transfer them from the psp to the laptop.
09-06-2013, 08:30 PM
(09-06-2013 08:13 PM)mr.chya Wrote:  Um no? PPSSPP is a PlayStation Portable emulator meant to be used on PCs Laptops and certain cellphones to play psp games without a psp. As far as I am aware you shouldn't even be able to use PPSSPP on it nor is there a reason for you to.

Oh also to use your saves from the psp all you should need to do is transfer them from the psp to the laptop.

No, you got it wrong, what I'm saying is, I am connecting my PSP to the computer as a USB data storage device. Which means it acts as any regular thumb drives out there. I can play PPSSPP no problem. I just want to unify the save path so that my games saves are the same with the PSP and PPSSPP.

09-06-2013, 08:54 PM
Oh okay, my misunderstanding. I apologize for that.
09-06-2013, 09:31 PM (This post was last modified: 09-06-2013 10:09 PM by solarmystic.)
(09-06-2013 08:30 PM)ShedoSurashu Wrote:  
(09-06-2013 08:13 PM)mr.chya Wrote:  Um no? PPSSPP is a PlayStation Portable emulator meant to be used on PCs Laptops and certain cellphones to play psp games without a psp. As far as I am aware you shouldn't even be able to use PPSSPP on it nor is there a reason for you to.

No, you got it wrong, what I'm saying is, I am connecting my PSP to the computer as a USB data storage device. Which means it acts as any regular thumb drives out there. I can play PPSSPP no problem. I just want to unify the save path so that my games saves are the same with the PSP and PPSSPP.

I think I've answered this question quite sometime ago for another user.

There's no way to do it within the emulator for now, but on Windows you can use the system's junctioning (mklink /j) function to trick PPSSPP into reading those savefiles wherever you want it to be.

My original answer and short guide is here:-
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?...5#pid37005

The answer should still be the same for your case, but I'd like to add that you have to ensure that the drive letter (e.g. F:\ G:\ H:\ etc) assigned to your actual PSP in Windows has to stay the same everytime you plug it into your computer, otherwise the junction will not work.

Alternatively, this solution by another user should also work.

PPSSPP Modern Testbed:-
Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.0 GHz
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 760 2GB GDDR5 VRAM @ 1138/6500 Mhz
16 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1600 MHz
Windows 7 x64 SP1

PPSSPP Ancient Testing Rig:-
Intel Core 2 Duo T9550 @ 2.8GHz
ATI Mobility Radeon 4670 1GB GDDR3 VRAM @ 843/882 MHz
8 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1066 MHz
Windows 7 x64 SP1
09-07-2013, 02:33 AM (This post was last modified: 09-07-2013 02:35 AM by ShedoSurashu.)
I also had symbolic links in mind from the start, but as you said, I need to keep the drive letters intact, which is why I turned to the forums for an alternative help. I also don't have the means to edit and compile the source because my laptop is bust and I'm just squatting between laptops/PCs for.now.

I also had an idea of making a small app that automates the linking process but I wanted to see if there was an already existing solution. xD

09-07-2013, 01:19 PM
Aside from the methods that solarmystic suggested, there's not much you can do at present. PPSSPP is hard-coded to look in the same directory it's in for its memstick directory. That's not to say it couldn't change, but there are a lot of other things to do right now, heh.

4GHz AMD 3900X, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 6GB Nvidia RTX 2060, Asus Crosshair 7 Hero (Wifi), Linux
How to ask useful questions: https://web.archive.org/web/20110214010944/http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
I'm not Dark_Alex, nor do I claim to be. Our nicknames are merely coincidence.
09-08-2013, 03:35 AM
I think this feature could be useful for people who keeps two versions of the emulator at a time, in my case I have to put the memstick folder from 0.8.1 to 0.9.1 in order to play my saves to the newer version but since
a few of the games I play broke in 0.9.1, I have to revert back to 0.8.1 in order to play those broken games so I put back the saves to the 0.8.1 folder, if only there's a feature like this, I don't have to put the memstick folder between two versions in order for the emulator to read the saves.

Feel Free To Visit My Youtube Channel at: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGPnfU4q12x6vEWXv4Ftq8Q/videos
10-17-2014, 10:34 PM
Symbolic links don't work for this since the PSP's memory card must be formatted to FAT16/FAT32. Symbolic links only work on more modern filesystems (NTFS, extX, etc).

I have the same use case as OP, and I'm finding it rather annoying that i have to copy my save folders back and fourth, and I really don't feel like going into the source to change it and recompiling every time I decide to update to the latest master.
10-18-2014, 11:04 AM
well there is a way via bat. files

you can use commands to copy from pc to psp all your save files but that would be retarded since it would always copy whole folder with all files but maybe there is an option to copy only files with different parameters

and than i could teach you how to create exe. file from bat. file which would
copy save files from psp to ppsspp when you launch it and copy back from ppsspp to psp when you close ppsspp

but still it would involve few exe/bat files since your driver letter could change

you would just need to check which driver letter is ur psp and than lunch pre made exe/bat file like for example

we would make
ppsspp D.exe
ppsspp E.exe
ppsspp F.exe

and so go on lets say to J

and depending on which driver letter represents your psp corresponding ppsspp exe file you would need to launch

but now when i think of it there is command in bat files that allows
to copy only if folder or file exists if not it keep searching

so it could be 1 file

cause for example lets say it search for D : \memstick\save <folder
if it dont exist it try to search E : \memstick\save <folder

so maybe there is a way to make it singe file and only copy changed files but remember before every launch and after close it would take time to copy and paste files

ur choice here are you eager much to do this all shit cause it will require some time and tests to search all commands and compile all that shit in to 1 WORKING file

in short of it this file would

copy from usb drive to hdd
AFTER COPYING
launch ppsspp
when closing ppsspp
coppy from hdd to usb drive

so decide do you really care

Try AntiMicro graphical program used to map keyboard keys and mouse controls to a gamepad/controller.
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=12513
or http://www.x360ce.com
10-19-2014, 06:26 PM (This post was last modified: 10-19-2014 06:29 PM by Henrik.)
Hm, I can see the use-case. Would a ppsspp.ini-only option be fine? Wait, that won't work, as it looks for PPSSPP.ini in the memstick directory... doh. Maybe a command line option? --memstick=E:\ or whatever.
10-20-2014, 07:11 AM
(10-19-2014 06:26 PM)Henrik Wrote:  Hm, I can see the use-case. Would a ppsspp.ini-only option be fine? Wait, that won't work, as it looks for PPSSPP.ini in the memstick directory... doh. Maybe a command line option? --memstick=E:\ or whatever.

there should be option to just set a path for it just like most emulators have

like for example virtuanes have

where either you leave it in parent folder (where path can be set to current dir and not C:\blablabla.....) and where you can select paths for each folder so you can select which folders you want to have to be shared and which not

[Image: J5J90bb.png]

Try AntiMicro graphical program used to map keyboard keys and mouse controls to a gamepad/controller.
10-20-2014, 10:12 PM
Yeah, but those options would be stored in ppsspp.ini, and ppsspp.ini is stored in the memstick folder, which was the one we wanted to configure, so we have a circular problem Smile Storing the ini file in the memstick might not have been a good choice, really... Hm.
10-21-2014, 07:43 AM
(10-20-2014 10:12 PM)Henrik Wrote:  Yeah, but those options would be stored in ppsspp.ini, and ppsspp.ini is stored in the memstick folder, which was the one we wanted to configure, so we have a circular problem Smile Storing the ini file in the memstick might not have been a good choice, really... Hm.

so my idea is add support to bat commands or something like that

so for example

in bat files command like
cd ..

brings you up from current directory to directory that is above

if i have c:\emulators\ppsspp

so like if i have (ppsspp folder)\memstick\ppssppi.ini
in which is line like (ppsspp folder)\memstick\psp\save
i could change it to (ppsspp folder)\cd..\cd..\cd..\save
than i would set path to wherever my ppsspp is folder it reads save from 3 folders above and save it in save folder
where "(ppsspp folder)" would just start from main ppsspp folder wherever it is

so ini file could stay where it is but path to which it lead could be edited in a simple way

and as for OP problem if you would add support for (current folder) and (folder above) commands he could put his ppsspp on to his psp and than use
cd..
command to lead saves to his (flash drive path) for save folder
but anything else like save states or homebrews or any other files that psp create could be saved in different folder out side of flash drive

i hope you understand more or less what i mean

03-24-2020, 12:30 PM
Question New eras, new paths
Hello, PPSSPPeers,

I've searched around this forum and elsewhere over the web on how to change the folder paths to save files (COMMON, GAME, SAVEDATA, SCREENSHOT, SYSTEM, PPSSPP_STATE).

There's this thread teaching how to create symbolic links, but I wonder if things happened to change in the last 6 years and whether is there a way of changing the folder paths on the GUI configuration settings for a non power user like me (6 years is a lot. By that time we still didn't live underground, before the 12 Monkeys spread coronavirus all over the world). Can I avoid learning about those symbolic links? I've got other s*** to do.

It seems like this "Save path in installed.txt" setting does it. I don't know if it's me but I can't figure out what that setting means, as the installed.txt text inside the file doesn't change. Can anyone explain to me how to do this?

Yes, I read every FAQ and there's not clear mention to it, or maybe I don't know how to search for this kind of stuff. I found another thread mentioning [1] it but it doesn't explain what should I do with this file.

In short: I'm not a power user and I'd like to know if there's a simple setting to change the file paths like virtually every other emulator has like that pointed out by ZeroX4. I don't want game files on my Documents Windows folder. If "Save path in installed.txt" setting does it, how do I change this setting? Please be kind to me, sorry to ask.

Using Windows 10 and the installed version of PPSSPP 1.9.3.

[1] https://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=23016

"(...) Standard location of memstick differs between platforms, on windows for example it's at ppsspp\memstick or under My Documents, but you can also easily change it by going to Settings->System and use "save path in installed.txt" or manually create such text file in ppsspp folder with a path to memstick directory.

Note that all savedata, savestates, screenshots etc, pretty much everything that ppsspp can save is stored in it's own folder on "memstick", so using root of your hdd like "C:\" for a memstick folder is probably not a great idea, you will also have to move folders from your existing memstick to new location manually if you want to use that stuff:]."