Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Version 9.1, Android Performance Measurements?
08-27-2013, 01:07 PM
Version 9.1, Android Performance Measurements?
Well, I realize I tend to make these too much, but lets see if I can get some user experiences out of this...

So, here's my position: I'm nearing the point where I can/should/will be getting a new phone, and I'm centered on two: The Galaxy S4 (i9505), or the upcoming Note 3 (Which, while we're speculating on it, should be amazing if it's specs are what we're thinking). My concern is that for my hands, the S4 is already rather big, and I imagine the note 3 will be way too big to use right (But that screen size...)

Anywho, For people who use Android, and have flagship devices of the current year (HTC One, etc), or something of comparable power, what kind of performance are you looking at in general with PPSSPP as of late? I'm sure there are still "that one game" that won't work/ is horrible for reasons outside of the generic emulator, but I'm curious about the general case.

For the record, I'm looking at playing Turn Based games on it, nothing like Soul Calibur of Tekken or other games that do all this fancy stuff. I'm thinking the most demanding game I'll have on there is Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky, but most of the time I'll be playing things like Final Fantasy Tactics (Finally playable? Aww yes).

For a more direct question: Are we at the point where games like Tactics Ogre, Final Fantasy Tactics, or Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky can run at Max (Or near max) with tweaked user settings On something like the Galaxy S4, or is it still in the "Needs further optimization" area?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-27-2013, 04:15 PM (This post was last modified: 08-27-2013 04:16 PM by Ace256.)
RE: Version 9.1, Android Performance Measurements?
Well out of the games you have mentioned, I play Tactics Ogre using PPSSPP on my S2, and it works full speed, without forcing or tweaking it.
The only 2 real drawback so far, that keep me from using my S2 to finish Tactics are;
1) That there are some graphic glitches in Tactics e.g. Spells, and Mission objective screens, but that has been confirmed as an issue with the app itself which will get fixed soon (Post in the compatibility thread)
2) The S2's abysmal battery. Obviously emulation is battery heavy, and the S2 had a horrible size battery even for the time, oddly though PPSSPP is more battery friendly than DraStic so the situation isn't that hopeless

So the takeaway here is the hardware jump from an S4 to a Note 3 isn't needed as the app is getting more streamlined and efficient. Also the Battery Difference between the S4 and the Note will not be THAT different to make you choose a Note over the 4
In the end it's personal preference really.
08-27-2013, 06:50 PM
Quite a few of the games I have played on my S4 seem to work rather well. My only real issue with some games seems to be save and load screens taking a while sometimes.
08-28-2013, 11:04 AM
If you have extra money and at the moment rarely playing games, better your wait for upcoming galaxy note 3. Well if you want badly playing games on ppsspp android right now Tongue , i think Galaxy S4 is powerful enough to play the games that you mention above. I have note 10.1 overclocked 1.6Ghz and almost can run any games with full speed except some 3D games. As Ace256 said, ppsspp is getting more updates, more efficient and of course soon, ppsspp will became like the 'real one' Big Grin enough to run any games fluently on andorid.