Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
Attention: Intel Integrated Graphics Owners on Windows. Read This.
08-05-2014, 04:17 AM
RE: Attention: Intel Integrated Graphics Owners on Windows. Read This.
I think this will be less of an issue in the next couple of years when the Intel HD Graphics chipset should be the new baseline for most ultrabook/laptop/PC owners with no dedicated GFX cards as older non-OpenGL 2.0 compliant ones die out naturally from old age and they get replaced by the aforementioned model.

PPSSPP Modern Testbed:-
Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.0 GHz
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 760 2GB GDDR5 VRAM @ 1138/6500 Mhz
16 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1600 MHz
Windows 7 x64 SP1

PPSSPP Ancient Testing Rig:-
Intel Core 2 Duo T9550 @ 2.8GHz
ATI Mobility Radeon 4670 1GB GDDR3 VRAM @ 843/882 MHz
8 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1066 MHz
Windows 7 x64 SP1
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-05-2014, 04:33 AM
Hopefully said next-generation Intel GPUs support OpenGL 4.x..

Either way though, we'll still hear the complaints probably a good 3-4 years down the road from now.

4GHz AMD 3900X, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 6GB Nvidia RTX 2060, Asus Crosshair 7 Hero (Wifi), Linux
How to ask useful questions: https://web.archive.org/web/20110214010944/http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
I'm not Dark_Alex, nor do I claim to be. Our nicknames are merely coincidence.
09-09-2014, 09:56 AM
Direct3D support is coming, which will help many of these old GPUs: http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?...0#pid93880
09-10-2014, 04:59 AM
When D3D9 support is as an acceptable state, this thread and its contents shall be obsolete.

Every old Intel GPU (with the exception of the 1st and 2nd gen chipsets, coz they don't even have basic DX9 support) will be able to run the emulator. Operative word here being "run".

Hopefully.

PPSSPP Modern Testbed:-
Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.0 GHz
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 760 2GB GDDR5 VRAM @ 1138/6500 Mhz
16 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1600 MHz
Windows 7 x64 SP1

PPSSPP Ancient Testing Rig:-
Intel Core 2 Duo T9550 @ 2.8GHz
ATI Mobility Radeon 4670 1GB GDDR3 VRAM @ 843/882 MHz
8 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1066 MHz
Windows 7 x64 SP1
09-30-2014, 06:54 PM
The PPSSPP will not work on those kind of graphic cards for sure. It works good on i7 Core from my experience.
11-21-2014, 05:24 AM
i have intel 4 series express chipset family, its run ppsspp at win7 when i upgrade to win 8 it wont run it any idea ?
12-08-2014, 02:25 AM (This post was last modified: 12-08-2014 02:30 AM by RSSwizard.)
So is there any way to hack/sidestep the issue?

Like replacing opengl32.dll with an updated version from elsewhere, or using swiftshader, or some other program? Im downloading 3d Analyze right now.

Is there any way to get it to use DirectX instead of OpenGL?
(my system always works fantastic with DX)

Ive have Intel 945GMA and the opengl utility says its only 1.4.
My other stats are 1.6ghz single core + 2 gig ram + win xp (sp3). This also means directx9.
The graphics are 128mb onboard, ram shared, its not really a gpu.
And its never gonna change because I dont got the money to upgrade it (forgeddaboutit).

Given that you guys are making the emulator here, I would think you'd be kind enough to try to get it to work as much as possible. There ought to be shortcuts to disable/enable stuff to just make it do a dirty quick render on some things by not engaging more advanced features. I can certainly do without alot of shader and lighting stuff.

To my knowledge it seems like the PSP was really alot like a PSONE in a handheld format. They had to downgrade some games to get them to work on PSP anyway. And ePSX works great on my system so I dont see why this one wouldnt.
12-08-2014, 02:03 PM (This post was last modified: 12-08-2014 02:04 PM by Bigpet.)
(12-08-2014 02:25 AM)RSSwizard Wrote:  Is there any way to get it to use DirectX instead of OpenGL?

Just download one of the newer development versions of PPSSPP, it will automatically switch to Direct3D if it can't get the OpenGL ontext it needs.
12-09-2014, 07:01 PM (This post was last modified: 12-09-2014 07:40 PM by RSSwizard.)
(12-08-2014 02:03 PM)Bigpet Wrote:  Just download one of the newer development versions of PPSSPP, it will automatically switch to Direct3D if it can't get the OpenGL ontext it needs.

Where do I get that? I downloaded the one on the main page, isnt it the latest one? Also I dont know anything about compiling so I cant just pick up the source code.

Ive already deleted all of my games and ppsspp but I would be willing to give it another shot if it can work.

Re: Direct3D support.
I know people probably like to just stick with OpenGL because its so much more graceful and isnt microhard. But the simple fact of the matter is the graphics card industry, like politicians, are corrupt and they only care about money. And we shouldn't be penalized for their mistakes.

In fact you should also be incorporating 3dAnalyzer type hacks into the program too, like being able to completely shut off some features or insert dummy versions that the games would normally be required to run. You dont want to besmirch the name of the PSP by dirtying up its graphics quality? Yeah well the game might look as bad as a N64 graphics, but who cares as long as it runs at a playable speed? People who need those downgrades are used to playing with lower quality games anyhow.

And if they're needing these downgrades they're probably poor as hell otherwise they'd have a real PSP and would be playing the games on their PSP rather than getting them for a PC through questionable means (which im sure 95% of users do).

So dont ask them to upgrade their stuff either, there is a reason they're playing on $300 netbooks, which they might've even spent only $150 on at a pawn shop to begin with. Welcome to Amerika, the land of freedom to be poor.

And as for games having specific stuff like shaders or high resolution graphics that it needs, and you just dont know what to do with it if the graphics hardware cant handle it... you can do Pre-Execution conversion and save translated versions that WILL work, at the expense of some hard drive space. Smaller textures take up alot less space than the original anyway. Then just hook it back with a placeholder.

You're already doing runtime compiling so your foot is in that territory. This is easy to accomplish, its not like you've got to translate all that stuff yourself, you just make it scan the game contents for stuff that you know are high quality content. Ive seen FPS source ports that will rebuild the BSP nodes every time it encounters a new map.

As a game designer, I could make stunning games that look almost as good as modern stuff by tweaking the textures just right, rather than relying on all this off-the wall utterly wasteful technology. And even when I used the high quality crap it wouldn't be across the board, it would only be called on when the graphics really needed it for some place in the map. There's no excuse for it.

Its just like the wretched copyright industry... which has spurred on massive development of indie apps, free fonts, free OS systems, and on down the line, which this app is effectively part of.

The runtime compiling feature of PPS is a great idea, but not bending over backwards to make the graphics as absolutely compatible as possible is like loudly striking an off piano key - on purpose.

Like "yeah we're gonna try to cater to our users by making it as fast as possible - oh but if you dont have a good graphics card we're going to spit on you - because you're not lining Nvidia's wallet".

Im not saying that you guys are necessarily sending that message, but the name of this title/thread certainly alludes to it.

As for my computer specs.
It is a humble Eee PC 1.6ghz with an Intel 945GM with 128mb shared vram. It does not have any space for upgrades internally (heck it doesnt even have an optical). However it has an excellent 2 Gb of Ram and a 320 Gb hard drive which were really above-standard for a netbook at that time. It runs Windows XP SP3 because anything above that would either be Vista, or too expensive on processing power and ram, so the only direction the OS would go is Ubuntu, if it went anywhere at all.

As for its age, its true that it was manufactured in 2008 but it sat on a shelf for 4 years with very little use, so thats how it has survived all this time and still works just fine.

And this pales in comparison to having no income, and having no income for the forseeable future, so this computer might as well be a supercomputer as far as im concerned. It does a hell of alot more than an mp3 player will do (last time I checked an mp3 player wont open up a command prompt - and neither will a mac).

Oh, and PSP games are 10 years old... and even then because they was a handheld, they were working with technology which was at least 5 years old before that. Heck ive even played and beaten some games that were made in 2004 on this machine, such as F.E.A.R. and Half Life 2.
12-09-2014, 08:27 PM
Download here: http://buildbot.orphis.net/ppsspp

Phones: Poco F3 8GB/256GB (Snapdragon 870 5G) and Redmi Note 6 Pro 4/64GB (Snapdragon 636)

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 / 16GB RAM DDR4 3600MHz / NVIDIA GTX 1660 Ti 6GB / Windows 10 Pro
12-09-2014, 09:01 PM (This post was last modified: 12-09-2014 09:03 PM by Bigpet.)
(12-09-2014 07:01 PM)RSSwizard Wrote:  HUUUUUUUGE RANT

Well, the emulator is open source, if you don't like what it focuses on, fork it.

Also, PSP games don't have "shaders" as far as I know it's fully a fixed-function pipeline, but it has fixed-function elements that don't have equivalents in OpenGL or Direct3D, that's why some of the things need to emulated in shaders.

If a game on ppsspp were to be GPU-bound at 1x (which I believe is rare even for modest PC hardware) then it would be because of GPU readbacks or frequent draw-calls with state-changes in-between.

Last but not least, chill dude, no one here is doing things to intentionally harm or annoy you.
12-09-2014, 09:56 PM
I have actually personally made multiple changes to improve the performance of ppsspp on an Asus EEE pc that runs an Atom 1.6Ghz processor and does not support OpenGL 2. PPSSPP is one of the emulators that does the most for people with older hardware, imho.

If it's not enough, the internet is a big open place. You're always free to contribute. I wrote my first programs on a processor that only had two digits in its Mhz. So you're already much better set up than I was. Good luck.

-[Unknown]
12-10-2014, 01:08 AM
Oh, cool. Sorry about that.
That's a pretty neat resource actually (orphis).
Im not a programmer but I remember using an 8088 myself. It sure seems like we've come a long way, seems that way anyway.
Thanks guys.
12-16-2014, 06:57 PM
Awesome! It does work on my Eee PC! Thank you!
02-03-2015, 08:25 PM
I have an Intel 945GM and am running Ubuntu 14.10. PPSSPP opens an closes, and according to the first few posts it should work. Do I have to update Ubuntu for OpenGL?