Thread Rating:
  • 7 Votes - 3.86 Average
Beginners Guide
08-06-2013, 07:13 PM (This post was last modified: 02-08-2014 07:32 PM by GuilhermeGS2.)
Beginners Guide
Many people have difficulty using the emulator when installing for the first time, because they have some difficulties and have no experience with this sort of thing. I'll make a little guide for beginners to help all who have doubts.

This guide is from my blog PPSSPP Brasil, I'm posting here with some adaptations.

Setting Up

Well, when we first entered, we will see a screen like this (this image is of the previous version):

[Image: Screenshot_2013-12-20-09-37-15.png]

This is the screen you see when you enter by the first time in PPSSPP. You can see that there are three tabs at the top :Recent,there you will found all the opened games recently,Games, where will be shown the games that are in the folder you selected ;Homebrew & Demos, where will appears the games which are in the directory "sdcard/PSP/GAME" (on Android ) or ".../ ppsspp/memstick/PSP/GAME" (on Widnows). Beside there are other options , the first option in Windows Load is where you will use the Windows Explorer to search your ROM , but on Android, the first option will be Settings (on Widows will be the second option), where you can setting up the emulator of the way you want. But if you are doubt in how to setting up, this tutorial is here to help. Also there's Credits to options where you will see the name of all developers and it all, and in the option www.ppsspp.org you will be directed to the official website of the emulator. In Support PPSSPP you will be redirected to a specific place (depending on each Operating System) to buy the donation version (Gold version) ,which is only for donation and does not offer any advantages, speed, new options or something, as many say. it's just a symbolic version for those who donated . During the last option ,Exit , of course everyone knows what that means. Wink

So let's Setting up. The first part will be where we will setting up the graphics, notice that there are four options on the left side: Graphics , Audio , Controls, System.

Graphics

[Image: Screenshot_2013-12-20-09-37-48.png]

In the first option, you will select the Rendering Mode, what the options makes? Read:

Buffer Rendering

Explaining quickly: You can have the actual graphics of the PSP, with more brightness, contrast and other effects. Also you can change the resolution of emulation.

Recommended more for PC, because it uses more hardware. There are instances of games that only work with this option enabled.

Non-Buffer Rendering

It was created to be a speed hack. This option disables most graphic effects (shaders) heavier games, to ensure faster. Graphs can be darker and less effects (simpler). This option ensures a lot of speed, depending on the game.

Recommended for Android devices, it ensures more speed than the above option.

Read Framebuffer to Memory CPU or GPU

These options are pretty much the same thing Buffer Rendering, it only uses the CPU / GPU (depending on which option you choose) to make reading the framebuffer's. Then depends on each GPU / CPU, while more powerful, the better.

Optional

The option Frameskipping everyone knows for sure, so do not even need to explain. But let's talk about the other options in Framerate Control

Prevent FPS from exceeding 60

This option forces the emulator to no more than 60 FPS, because the God of War exceeds 60 FPS which can reduce the emulation speed (FPS of this emulator has nothing to do with the emulation speed. Few emulators represent the speed emulation as FPS, but in PPSSPP is "%" [percent]).

Recommend to God of War players

Alternative Speed

This option is not as necessary as it controls the speed limit of the speed mode alternative (which can only be chosen if you map a button on the joystick to do that). So do not worry about it.

Optional

Let's talk about the sub-menu Features:

Postprocessing Shaders

This option is very cool, lets you add effects to graphics. You can take a look at this thread.

Optional (not recommended to decrease performance). This option only adds effects to graphics, does not improve the performance, on the contrary, decreases.

Streeth to Display

This option makes the image fit to the screen, because may be left some space on your screen, the resolution of the games sometimes be different, even if it is enlarged.

Optional

Mipmapping

Well, this option simply removes some effects to the simple graphics makes them lighter.

Optional

[Image: Screenshot_2013-10-25-16-46-17.png]

Now the Performance sub-menu has some options, as the name implies, and depending on what you use, its performance may be different, bad or good.

Rendering Resolution

You can change the resolution of Buffer Rendering. If you select 1x PSP will run at the native resolution of the PSP, PSP 2x if you choose, will run twice the actual resolution of the PSP, and so on. And if you choose Auto (1:1), will run in the native resolution of your device.

Recommended leave 1x PSP on Android, it is the resolution, and require less performance. But if you want a better picture, you can increase but can reduce performance.
Note: Only works with Buffer Rendering.

VSync

Some should know what it's for, I did not know, but from what I could find, this option avoids some defects to move the character. Of course use more performance.

Not recommended. Only for those who want a better look.

Hardware Transform

Uses the hardware (GPU) to make T & L (Transform and Lighting) instead of the software (when disabled). Of course, it will be much faster when activated.

Super Recommended. Uses hardware instead of software, ensures great speed.

Software Skinning

Well, I sought an explanation for this option, I found, but did not quite understand. But as far as I could understand, the emulator will make a drawing of some triangles by software instead of GPU (hardware), it would take much more time, say it is a more advanced technique. (I hope someone here can explain better)

Recommeded because it gives more speed in some games, like Tekken 6.

Vertex Cache

Well, say it can cause an improvement in speed, but may cause problems in geometry. Developers are working.

Optional. Some recommend enable, disable others. The choice is yours.

Low quality spline / bezier curves (speed up)

For my tests, it removes some of the graphic details to ensure speed. Can cause deformations graphic.

Optional. Recommended for those who want more performance and not worry about the graphics quality.

[Image: Screenshot_2013-10-25-16-46-39.png]

Now the Texture Filtering options

Texture Scaling

Well, it's an option that improves some texture detail, how to highlight the lighter spots and darker, and correct imperfections in the design, such as textures evil jagged pixelated. I found a site talking a bit more about it:

http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?p=306

Not recommended. Only slightly more powerful hardware.

Anistropic Filtering: When a surface has the characteristic property that is not the same in all directions (for example, wood fibers, tire marks on a track), anisotropic filtering can be used to standardize these effects only in one direction, without diminishing the detail of the separations. The difference of this method of filtering with respect to bilinear filtering / trilinear is quite noticeable and almost always accompanied by a drop in performance. (Source: http://forum.valinor.com.br/showthread.php?t=44583).

Not Recommended. Only slightly more powerful hardware.

Texture Fiter: It is an optimization for 2D graphics, lyrics menu, HUD. This option removes the pixelation, or we can also call imperfections. This also greatly improves 2D games. Did not improve performance.

Recommended.

Now let's go for the hacks. Use it only if you really need performance gain, because it can cause bugs that may hinder the gameplay in some games.

I searched about these options, but I found few thing about. English also isn't my native language and I don't know much about this language, then I don't understand some words, and it's hard to me know what the hacks do. Anyway, I also don't understand anything about programing. Please, someone help with the explaination of hacks.

Timer Hack:Is an option to "hack" the emulation timer and leaves fast, even if you're not emulating at 100% of the speed. It can cause some bugs, such as crashes contained in the GTA games.

Disable alpha test (PowerVR speedup):Helps somewhat in speed gain , but it will be even more efficient PowerVR GPUs.

Aways delph write:This option takes some heavier graphic details, this will leave the game faster.

The Texture coord speedhack(speed up): ??? (I really have no idea, maybe someone explain it)

Recommended only for person with extremally speed problems, because it may cause visual bugs

The options below the Overlay informations are just things that are displayed on the screen. Such:

Show FPS Counter

You can select whether the FPS will be displayed. You can choose from FPS, Speed and Both. I use both, which shows FPS, (the real game speed - most PSP games doesn't arrives at most 30 FPS, like PS3 and Xbox 360 games) and Speed, which is the emulation speed.

Optional.

Show Debug Statistics

Will interest only developers and curious people. The information will be displayed on the gameplay and hinder the gameplay.

Not recommended

Below we have the option Software Rendering (experimental). This option renders by the software, it will help people with very weak GPUs that cause visual bugs or crashes the emulator (on PC). But this feature is much slower.

Recommended for weak GPUs (such Intel GMA x3100 with the latest drivers that supports OpenGL ES 2.0).

Audio

The audio is the most easy option to setting up.

[Image: Screenshot_2013-12-20-09-38-58.png]

Now, since the update v0.9.5, we don't need download an Atrac3+ plugin anymore. Now the emulator has a internal decoder created by Maxim. So you just need enable the audio. Furthermore, you also can control the internal volumes, and use another new option, the "Low latency audio (may stutter)" which I guess it leaves the audio more smooth.

Optional. Remember that if you disable the audio, you may get more performance.

Controls

The most settings here are more used for mobile devices, and are optional.

[Image: Screenshot_2013-12-20-09-39-03.png]

Control mapping

In the Control Mapping you can map the PPSSPP keys to a controller connected to your phone/PC. Is simply to map:

[Image: Screenshot_2013-12-20-09-39-12.png]

You just need choose what key you want to map, touch/click upon the key (Example Dpad Up) and after press the button which you want to map in your controller. Done, you mapped the key.

Haptic Feedback (Vibration)

This option gives an answer, vibrating the phone / tablet when you touch the touch control (not when using joystick). You must activate the vibration in the settings of your device.

Tilt to Analog Stick

You use the accelerometer to analog by moving your phone, as you do in racing games. The novelty of 0.9.5 is that you can use for both the X-axis (left / right) and for the Y (up / down). As the picture above is not of the official v0.9.5, so it doesn't show the option Customize Tilt, where you can control the sensitivity of accelerometer, flip or not the axes and calibrate the accelerometer.

The On-Screen Touch Control, when activated, displays the onscreen controls (best for mobiles). If you use joystick, you can disable.

Customize Tilt is where you can control the sensitivity of accelerometer, flip or not the axes and calibrate the accelerometer.

[Image: Screenshot_2013-12-20-09-39-28.png]

Invert Tilt the analog X / Y Axis options is where you choose the accelerometer will be inverted or not, for X and / or Y. It's the same thing in a game where the controls have the options "Invert Camera" option. And the Tilt Sensitivity analog X / Y axis options is where you control the level of sensitivity of the accelerometer, while larger, more sensitive. And Calibrate the D-Pad option is to calibrate the accelerometer for PPSSPP. Place your device on a flat surface, and press calibrate.

The On-Screen Touch Control option, when enabled, displays the onscreen controls (best for mobiles). If you use joystick, you can disable.

Edit touch Layout...

[Image: Screenshot_2013-12-20-09-39-43.png]

This is where you configure which controls are visible on screen (Visibility), the size scale (Resize), and also where they will be positioned (Move). To position them, simply hold and drag to where you want.

[Image: Screenshot_2013-12-20-09-39-06.png]

Disable D-Pad diagonal (4-way touch)

This option disables the diagonal d-pad, and gets activated only up, down, left and right.

Opacity Buttons

With this switch you control the controls opacity, the higher the number, the more opaque, the lower the number the more transparent.

Button style

Here you choose between the two button styles:

Classic

[Image: Screenshot_2013-12-20-09-41-55.png]

Thin borders

[Image: Screenshot_2013-12-20-09-41-46.png]

System

[Image: Screenshot_2013-12-20-09-40-11.png]

If you want to translate the PPSSPP for your language (if available), you can change in Language, the first option.

[Image: Screenshot_2013-12-20-09-40-33.png]

Fast Memory (unstable)

This option helps a lot, it avoids some memory checks to give more speed. But this option may cause memory leak, for example, when the graph is very heavy, with many effects. This happens a lot in the God of War But I think it's more likely to happen in this Android than on Windows.

Recommended. But watch the memory leaking.

Multithread (Experimental)

This option makes the emulator use more than one processor core (if available) to the emulation. Unfortunately this option is experimental and does not work properly. It can cause many bugs, compatibility and even, in some cases, the speed (it is as if the frameskipping was enabled). The differences with this option enabled are not as great as with it disabled.

Not recommended. It may cause problems in speed and in compatibility.

I/O on Thread

I do not know how this option works exactly. But I know that it helps the compatibility of Dead or Alive: Paradise, where this option is disabled, you just can not play the game until the introduction arrives and everything, but nothing to play.

It's enabled by default, so leave enabled.

Change CPU Clock

Here is the great secret of super speed. With this option you can control the clock virtual processor (like the processor virtual PSP, PPSSPPP is a virtual PSP), and determine the load it will make on the system. Well, it sounds crazy, but while the lower clock, the faster the emulation speed (%) and the lowest FPS (speed virtual PSP). But the loss of FPS is not so, and gain speed (%) compensates for the loss of FPS, there are cases that you do not lose anything. But this is because reducing the internal clock, the processor will have as much "load" and may have more power left to increase speed (%). It is complicated to understand, but if you philosophize a bit, you can understand. You can increase and decrease buttons "+" and "-".

Very recommended. You will gain much speed. Recommend use at 60 in Android, and at 222 in PC.

Atomic audio locks (experimental)

I don't know exactly how it works. By interpreting, it seems reduce the audio skipping, when it's slow. I don't know if you understand what I mean (sorry, english isn't my first language).

I'm not sure what it makes. It is disabled by default, leave disabled.

[Image: Screenshot_2013-10-25-16-47-54.png]

I'll drop the developer tools, there is nothing so interesting there. The most important within this menu is that the JIT option need to be always enabled.

Check for new version of PPSSPP

As the name suggests, this option will warn you if a new version of PPSSPP.

Clear Recent games list

When you click / touch it, it will clear the list of open games recently.

Restore PPSSPP's settings to default

This option restores all default settings.

Auto-load savestate newest

This option automatically loads the latest Savesate (Save State), if available.

Enable server compatibility reports

With this option enabled, the emulator will send information to the server that PPSSPP help fix bugs ..
Continuing with System ...

[Image: Screenshot_2013-12-20-09-40-22.png]

Enable networking / WLAN (beta)

This option is experimental for online play or network. Read some threads [ulr=http://forums.ppsspp.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=34]here[/url].

Enable Cheats

This option lets you use some special cheats, the CwCheats. Who has a PSP may know. I never used it, but you can go to this thread in the forums for more information.

PSP Settings

Options as Daylight Savings (DST), Date Format, Time Format and Configuration button (etc...) in the case of the first three will be used in the SaveData games, time and date. Have the last option, if you use joystick, you select what will be the confirm button, which in most games is X.

Here ends the configuration, we will load games now.

[Image: Screenshot_2013-12-20-09-37-15.png]

This is the initial screen, as shown earlier. To load the games, just browse through the folders until you reach where your games. If you miss a folder, press the up arrow icon to return to the upper folder. After you find the folder of your game, you will see the icons of them:

[Image: Screenshot_2013-12-20-09-41-32.png]

You only need to select one and play. The games you will be entering in the Recent tab. You also can choose the display mode of the game, showing up as icons or in list.

Attributions

Please check the forum rules:

http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=402

I recommend: Guide:- Maximizing the performance of PPSSPP on your Android/Windows device by solarmystic

Many of these options are available only in latest builds, you can download in:

http://buildbot.orphis.net/ppsspp
or
http://ppsspp.org/downloads.html#devbuilds

Some options explained was taken from:

http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=1757

Others source is in the post.

Please tell me anything wrong that I fix.

Thank you for reading, I hope you like Smile
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-06-2013, 07:22 PM
RE: Beginners Guide
I corrected a typo in the title of your thread : it's not "bennigers" but "beginners" Wink

♦ Intel Core i7-6700HQ | 16 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M | Debian Testing --- Windows 7 Professional SP1 x64
♦ Intel Core i7-2630QM | 4 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M | Debian Testing
♦ PSP-3004 | 6.60 PRO-C2
Find all posts by this user
08-06-2013, 07:23 PM (This post was last modified: 08-06-2013 07:25 PM by solarmystic.)
(08-06-2013 07:22 PM)vnctdj Wrote:  I corrected a typo in the title of your thread : it's not "bennigers" but "beginners" Wink

Was about to mention that typo. Thanks for the quick fix vnctdj.

GuilhermeGS2, when the NewUI is done, you're going to have to change the guide to accomodate the use of the New UI too. Screenshots of all the options in New UI will have to be added in as well.

PPSSPP Modern Testbed:-
Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.0 GHz
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 760 2GB GDDR5 VRAM @ 1138/6500 Mhz
16 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1600 MHz
Windows 7 x64 SP1

PPSSPP Ancient Testing Rig:-
Intel Core 2 Duo T9550 @ 2.8GHz
ATI Mobility Radeon 4670 1GB GDDR3 VRAM @ 843/882 MHz
8 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1066 MHz
Windows 7 x64 SP1
08-06-2013, 07:24 PM
(08-06-2013 07:22 PM)vnctdj Wrote:  I corrected a typo in the title of your thread : it's not "bennigers" but "beginners" Wink

OMG Blush

Thanks Smile

Phone: Galaxy SII GT-I9100/Galaxy J7 J700M

PC: Intel Core i5 3470 3.2Ghz/8Gb DDR3 1600Mhz/GTX 650 1Gb GDDR5 128bits/Windows 10 Pro 64bits

Check out my Youtube Channel for gameplay videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/GGBGameplays
08-06-2013, 07:26 PM (This post was last modified: 08-06-2013 07:27 PM by vnctdj.)
(08-06-2013 07:23 PM)solarmystic Wrote:  

Was about to mention that typo. Thanks for the quick fix vnctdj.
&
(08-06-2013 07:24 PM)GuilhermeGS2 Wrote:  

OMG Blush

Thanks Smile

You're welcome Smile

I hope this thread will help new users...

♦ Intel Core i7-6700HQ | 16 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M | Debian Testing --- Windows 7 Professional SP1 x64
♦ PSP-3004 | 6.60 PRO-C2
08-06-2013, 07:28 PM
One of you (moderators) should also update the PPSSPP Options explained thread with the latest options as well, since the thread creator seems to be inactive in the forums at the moment.

PPSSPP Modern Testbed:-
Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.0 GHz
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 760 2GB GDDR5 VRAM @ 1138/6500 Mhz
16 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1600 MHz
Windows 7 x64 SP1

PPSSPP Ancient Testing Rig:-
Intel Core 2 Duo T9550 @ 2.8GHz
ATI Mobility Radeon 4670 1GB GDDR3 VRAM @ 843/882 MHz
8 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1066 MHz
Windows 7 x64 SP1
08-06-2013, 07:35 PM
(08-06-2013 07:28 PM)solarmystic Wrote:  One of you (moderators) should also update the PPSSPP Options explained thread with the latest options as well, since the thread creator seems to be inactive in the forums at the moment.

You are right, but I don't have the time to do this now...
However, you can propose some corrections if you want and I will edit the post with your changes Smile

♦ PSP-3004 | 6.60 PRO-C2
08-16-2013, 03:47 PM
I do not have the option to unlock cpu speed on my menu, and I do not have the entry in the ini file to change cpu speeds either - Im using latest available build from play store, is it only available on windows?

Trying to play core crisis on my nexus 4, jittery slowdown but with a boost in performance would run great, this phone should be able to handle most things you chuck at it.
08-16-2013, 03:56 PM (This post was last modified: 08-16-2013 03:56 PM by GuilhermeGS2.)
In final of the post have the link to download the last build. This options are not in 0.8.1, will come in 0.9. But you can download the last compilation in the link: http://buildbot.orphis.net/ppsspp

PC: Intel Core i5 3470 3.2Ghz/8Gb DDR3 1600Mhz/GTX 650 1Gb GDDR5 128bits/Windows 10 Pro 64bits

Check out my Youtube Channel for gameplay videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/GGBGameplays
08-16-2013, 04:06 PM
(08-16-2013 03:56 PM)GuilhermeGS2 Wrote:  In final of the post have the link to download the last build. This options are not in 0.8.1, will come in 0.9. But you can download the last compilation in the link: http://buildbot.orphis.net/ppsspp

Ah thank you, the play store build had none of these new options, completely transformed the emulators performance for me - running crisis core flawlessly now and can even up the graphics beyond originals, great emulator thank you for the help
08-16-2013, 04:54 PM
You are welcome Wink

08-16-2013, 04:58 PM
Thanks m8.

S TO DA G
08-16-2013, 10:43 PM
Sorry because I still not posted in English screenshot. I'm accessing the forums only by my phone, I'm without an computer.

08-17-2013, 07:12 AM
Nice guide GuilhermeGS2. Relly helpfuls.

Pentium D 820 @ 2.8 GHz stock, NVIDIA 7600 GT,1 GB RAM, Windows XP.
08-17-2013, 01:47 PM
Thanks Wink