Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Changing defaults (fast memory)
08-01-2013, 07:37 AM
Changing defaults (fast memory)
I'm simply thinking of changing fast memory to True by default. The speed difference is quite noticable, especially on mobile devices, and few games that crash with fast memory on actually work at all.

The drawback is that some games that don't work will crash the emulator instead of showing a black screen.

An alternative (but that will have to wait for a bit) would be to have it be turned on by default on known safe games as a game specific setting, once we add that.

What do you guys think?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-01-2013, 07:54 AM (This post was last modified: 08-01-2013 07:54 AM by jacky400.)
RE: Changing defaults (fast memory)
I would also think to turn on by default as it is too noticeable speed improvement on mobile devices.

User can turn it off as per game setting .

Meanwhile , I think if one day we have good speed enough , we may even consider take out non-buffered rendering (but i think lots of ppl may complain towards me )
08-01-2013, 08:43 AM (This post was last modified: 08-01-2013 08:46 AM by stodag.)
Games look a lot crisper, better graphics in non buffered.. if this is a problem to some I could live without it.
Smile
Yes Henrik specific game settings sounds good to us, hard work for you..
Paul Lamb is doing the same with mupen, seems like a lot of hard work though..

S TO DA G
08-01-2013, 10:10 AM
If the only drawback is a crash instead of black screen I don't see any problem with it (as long the log feature works, even so we only need to set it to false).

Since English is not my first language sorry for some misspelling on my posts
08-01-2013, 10:51 AM
Can you change it to defaults for the Android builds only?
PC's don't really need it, and if you do, it's just a matter of a click.

If it were more compatible with games, then I think it would be more appropriate to have it on by default for all devices.
The better way would be to have game-specific ini's like Dolphin.
08-02-2013, 02:20 AM
(08-01-2013 10:51 AM)Garteal Wrote:  Can you change it to defaults for the Android builds only?
PC's don't really need it, and if you do, it's just a matter of a click.

This very much
08-02-2013, 06:26 AM (This post was last modified: 08-02-2013 06:55 AM by TheDax.)
(08-01-2013 07:54 AM)jacky400 Wrote:  -snip-

we may even consider take out non-buffered rendering (but i think lots of ppl may complain towards me )

The only complaint I would have about that is then you can't force AntiAliasing on PPSSPP anymore through the GPU control panel on PCs. Would it be possible to somehow integrate more native-like antialiasing capabilities into PPSSPP in the future? SSAA still has jagged edges, even at 3x/4x render resolution(forcing FXAA does a better job than SSAA, but bleh, it's still not as crisp as 32x CSAA).. Tongue

But anyway, on the subject of the real topic, fastmem, I don't see why it shouldn't be enabled by default on PCs, either. It gives huge boosts to some games(though it's mostly more noticeable when using turbo than anything else). All you have to do is uncheck it if it causes crashing..

4GHz AMD 3900X, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 6GB Nvidia RTX 2060, Asus Crosshair 7 Hero (Wifi), Linux
How to ask useful questions: https://web.archive.org/web/20110214010944/http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
I'm not Dark_Alex, nor do I claim to be. Our nicknames are merely coincidence.
08-02-2013, 06:47 AM
(08-02-2013 06:26 AM)daxtsu Wrote:  It gives huge boosts to some games
For example?
(08-01-2013 07:54 AM)jacky400 Wrote:  ..., we may even consider take out non-buffered rendering (but i think lots of ppl may complain towards me )
Any reason why...I don't see any benefit from removing it.
With - less speed and fixes some games
Without - more speed,fixes some games

Using PPSSPP on Windows 7 x64 SP1
i7 4771 3.5Ghz,GTX750TI,16GB RAM

Batch iso <=> cso converter
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=5384
Save Game\States Manager
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=5516
08-02-2013, 06:58 AM
Even on PC it can make a huge difference in pretty much every game, its just that modern PCs are so powerful that fast men isn't needed, but it will help for weaker ones.

I am for this idea because there are a lot of people who just load games on the emulator and play them without looking at a the settings and if the speed isn't satisfactory to them, they complain so this will probably reduce that.
08-02-2013, 07:03 AM (This post was last modified: 08-02-2013 07:04 AM by TheDax.)
Monster Hunter comes to mind, for one. On my PC, 3rd HD receives a boost of ~50 VPS when turboing(570->620-ish idling in the village), and 2nd G gets a boost of about 70 VPS idling in its village(~880->950-ish), Pangya Fantasy Golf gets about a 10 VPS boost(pretty massive since the game is already borderline, barely turboing at 90 VPS, an increase to 100 is pretty big..). Of course, these numbers won't apply everywhere you go in these games, but any small boost helps.

As far as I understand, non-buffered rendering is supposed to be a hack, so if buffered mode eventually overtakes non-buffered in accuracy, I'd say trash non-buffered once it can't keep up anymore.

4GHz AMD 3900X, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 6GB Nvidia RTX 2060, Asus Crosshair 7 Hero (Wifi), Linux
How to ask useful questions: https://web.archive.org/web/20110214010944/http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
I'm not Dark_Alex, nor do I claim to be. Our nicknames are merely coincidence.
08-02-2013, 08:12 AM
Well, many games runs great without buffered rendering ahah and in full hd too on my phone... While buffered rendering give a crappy 240p and a great lost of 20vps... So evenn if it's a hack... It's a damn powerful hack for crappy device

On my computer, buffered or not, I get the same performance.

Hey everybody, tired of the way games are reported here? look here ->> http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=5901

--Current Mobile device--
Htc one, Xplay, Walkman z, Samsung ace IIx (crap)

--Current Computer--
1x (e8200, shitty ram (3go), 9600gt)
1x (e6750, better ram (2go), no video card)
1x (i5-3210M, ram (4Go),650M)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user