Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Looking for a RPG to play on PPSSPP
07-24-2013, 07:08 PM
Looking for a RPG to play on PPSSPP
I am looking for a good RPG to play on PPSSPP. I am looking for more of the old school traditional RPG. (You know Dragon Quest/Final Fantasy style) I played all of the Final Fantasy games on the PSP and I also played Lunar. I am looking for more games like these. Kinda the style of Lunar/Dragon Quest/Older Final Fantasies. Any suggestions? I hope I placed this in the right topic. As this isn't really a PPSSPP type thread.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-24-2013, 07:40 PM
RE: Looking for a RPG to play on PPSSPP
You could try Hexyz Force, the various tales of, if you are into tactical rpg you can try disgaea 1/2, and other nippon ichi titles. Dragoneer's Aria is not that bad, but for some odd reasons fps are not perfectly emulated (it goes on 60 fps during cutscenes, making the audio going desynch, while in-game the fps are stuck at 20-22). If you don't mind first person view during fights (much more like older dragon quest games), there is a game called Class of Heroes (both 1 and 2) which can be nice.

Since English is not my first language sorry for some misspelling on my posts
07-24-2013, 07:52 PM
You should try Tactics Ogre.
07-24-2013, 08:26 PM (This post was last modified: 07-24-2013 08:33 PM by Hansuke.)
Thanks for the suggestions. I will look at Hexyz Force, Class Of Heroes, and Dragoneer's Aria. As for Tactics Ogre and Disgaea I played both of them a lot. Tongue Both very good games. Sadly, not looking for a tactical styled RPG though however I do thank you both for those suggestions as if I never played them before I too would recommend them. Many of hours of fun. ^_^ Anyone got any more suggestions? I am kinda looking for a game I can grind on while watching a TV series. Something I don't have to pay full attention to while fighting monsters. (Boss fights excluded of course) I will look into those three games though. Thanks again! Smile Still looking for suggestions for those just reading this. ^_^

Edit: Hextz Force looks amazing! Thx! Big Grin
07-24-2013, 09:58 PM
(07-24-2013 08:26 PM)Hansuke Wrote:  Thanks for the suggestions. I will look at Hexyz Force, Class Of Heroes, and Dragoneer's Aria. As for Tactics Ogre and Disgaea I played both of them a lot. Tongue Both very good games. Sadly, not looking for a tactical styled RPG though however I do thank you both for those suggestions as if I never played them before I too would recommend them. Many of hours of fun. ^_^ Anyone got any more suggestions? I am kinda looking for a game I can grind on while watching a TV series. Something I don't have to pay full attention to while fighting monsters. (Boss fights excluded of course) I will look into those three games though. Thanks again! Smile Still looking for suggestions for those just reading this. ^_^

I can think of Mana Khemia (still from nippon ichi) but it is just a rpg like final fantasy (exploration and battle style wise); You can also try Persona 3 portable (I prefer P3 FES from ps2 version, but that's just my taste), Crimson Gem Saga is nice too, and if you are a fan of digimon Digimon Adventure is a must have (though this one is japanese only). Honestly, there are countless rpg for the psp system, try to look for them from the list on gamefaqs, you'll be surprised by the amount of games which fall on that category.

07-24-2013, 10:15 PM
(07-24-2013 09:58 PM)Gurlok Wrote:  
(07-24-2013 08:26 PM)Hansuke Wrote:  Thanks for the suggestions. I will look at Hexyz Force, Class Of Heroes, and Dragoneer's Aria. As for Tactics Ogre and Disgaea I played both of them a lot. Tongue Both very good games. Sadly, not looking for a tactical styled RPG though however I do thank you both for those suggestions as if I never played them before I too would recommend them. Many of hours of fun. ^_^ Anyone got any more suggestions? I am kinda looking for a game I can grind on while watching a TV series. Something I don't have to pay full attention to while fighting monsters. (Boss fights excluded of course) I will look into those three games though. Thanks again! Smile Still looking for suggestions for those just reading this. ^_^

I can think of Mana Khemia (still from nippon ichi) but it is just a rpg like final fantasy (exploration and battle style wise); You can also try Persona 3 portable (I prefer P3 FES from ps2 version, but that's just my taste), Crimson Gem Saga is nice too, and if you are a fan of digimon Digimon Adventure is a must have (though this one is japanese only). Honestly, there are countless rpg for the psp system, try to look for them from the list on gamefaqs, you'll be surprised by the amount of games which fall on that category.

Thanks again man. Smile I have P3 FES on my PS3. Tongue Awesome game! Big Grin I have beat Crimson Gem Saga on my itouch. An other amazing game. I will have to check out Digimon Adventure. Seems like it would be interested. I will have to check out gamefaqs.
07-24-2013, 10:35 PM
You are welcome Smile

07-25-2013, 04:58 PM
Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky is a game you should try.

If you want action RPG, you should try Ys series.

I heard that Crimson Gem Saga has problems and it is badly balanced. I have not played it yet, but I do not think it is worse than Dragon Quest, which I have to grind.
Unchained Blades is an option with first-person view.

My next RPGs will be Hexyz Force and Lunar.
And I have to play some SRPGs too, FFT, Disgaea, Tactics Ogre and Growlanser Wayfarer of Time.

I am unlucky with Final Fantasy in PSP. Unfortunately I played the DS version of FF3 before the PSP version release, and I played the terrible Snes version of FF4 (named FF2) before the GBA version. And FF Type 0 is not in English.
07-25-2013, 06:16 PM
(07-25-2013 04:58 PM)Squall Wrote:  Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky is a game you should try.

If you want action RPG, you should try Ys series.

I heard that Crimson Gem Saga has problems and it is badly balanced. I have not played it yet, but I do not think it is worse than Dragon Quest, which I have to grind.
Unchained Blades is an option with first-person view.

My next RPGs will be Hexyz Force and Lunar.
And I have to play some SRPGs too, FFT, Disgaea, Tactics Ogre and Growlanser Wayfarer of Time.

I am unlucky with Final Fantasy in PSP. Unfortunately I played the DS version of FF3 before the PSP version release, and I played the terrible Snes version of FF4 (named FF2) before the GBA version. And FF Type 0 is not in English.

I too played and cleared FFIII DS version, but as far I know it's just a again a direct port, nothing spectacular or new to find...played and cleared also the GBA version of FFIV (ditched the ds version, didn't like it) which I found harder than other FF games, but I'll definitely play the PSP version, since it add much more content (like The After Years). Regarding Type-0 there is a work in progress english patch, but if I were you I wouldn't hold my breath.

07-25-2013, 09:46 PM (This post was last modified: 07-25-2013 09:48 PM by Hansuke.)
Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky I shall try. Thanks Squall! FF4 The Complete Collection was amazing. It is basically the GBA version with better graphics but the fact it has After Years and Interlude made it amazing. I am still playing it on my PSP today. Well, I moved it over to PPSSPP due to being able to play it on my HD TV but still worth it. I probably placed about 300+ hours in that game alone. Just need to take breaks from it as it is a very long journey. As for the Ys series. It is definitely an interesting series but I believe (not too sure on this one) they were all ported to the PC. So, I might give it a try but on the PC side instead only due to it being more native to 1080p. Are the Tales game worth trying also do they emulate properly on PPSSPP?

As for Final Fantasy Tactics War Of Lions, I wish it was fully emulated on the PPSSPP but it isn't yet. As I'd definitely go for a 14th run on FFT for that(yes I beat it 14 times now lol). The Dark Knight class draws me in that much honestly. Let alone Balthier is playable which is awesome too. (Though I hated his character I loved archers/snipers in FFT) Tongue
07-25-2013, 10:02 PM (This post was last modified: 07-25-2013 10:12 PM by mister seta 123.)
Most of Ys games have been ported to PC, yeah.

Ys V is the only one without a remake, and I read that it is a shitty installment, so I think you should avoid that one for the moment.
Ys Seven was ported to PC by a Chinese company, and it hasn't been distributed with XSEED localization, but there are rumors about XSEED working on it right now. I suggest you to play it on PPSSPP if you can't wait, runs well and it's a great game, with one of the hardest final bosses in the series, imo. (I beat it on Hard. Can't imagine how would it be on nightmare!)
As for Ys IV/Celtea... it was released 1 year ago for PS Vita, so obviously it is not possible that they port that one for PC (or so I think), as it's a recent system. You can still play the first version, though Falcom wasn't involved as much on the two games of Ys IV, Mask of the Sun and The Dawn of Ys. Foliage Ocean in Celtea fuses the two of them, apparently.
07-25-2013, 10:36 PM
Thanks again guys. Much appreciated. Smile I gave you guys all plus one rep for helping me and I think it is well deserved. Smile Still, taking suggestions been playing Hexyz Force which so far I have to say it is amazing! Big Grin Still open to more suggestions though. Smile
07-26-2013, 02:17 AM
(07-25-2013 06:16 PM)Gurlok Wrote:  I too played and cleared FFIII DS version, but as far I know it's just a again a direct port, nothing spectacular or new to find...played and cleared also the GBA version of FFIV (ditched the ds version, didn't like it) which I found harder than other FF games, but I'll definitely play the PSP version, since it add much more content (like The After Years). Regarding Type-0 there is a work in progress english patch, but if I were you I wouldn't hold my breath.
The resolution of the PSP version is better and Desmume does not support higher resolution unlike PPSSPP. The PSP version does not require cheats to unlock onion class and secret boss.

(07-25-2013 09:46 PM)Hansuke Wrote:  As for the Ys series. It is definitely an interesting series but I believe (not too sure on this one) they were all ported to the PC. So, I might give it a try but on the PC side instead only due to it being more native to 1080p.
Ys Origins is only for PC. Ys The Oath in Felghana has PC and PSP version. The PSP version may be played on Android with PPSSPP.
Ys Seven has English version only for PSP.
The old Ys games are not good. I tried Ys III and it was unplayable for me, and the remake, The Oath in Felghana, is completely a new game and I enjoyed it. Ys Foliage Ocean in Celtea is only for Vita and it seems very good. It is completely a new game based on Ys 4, which is bad due to the bump battle system. But a PC version of Foliage Ocean in Celtea is not impossible.

(07-25-2013 09:46 PM)Hansuke Wrote:  As for Final Fantasy Tactics War Of Lions, I wish it was fully emulated on the PPSSPP but it isn't yet. As I'd definitely go for a 14th run on FFT for that(yes I beat it 14 times now lol). The Dark Knight class draws me in that much honestly. Let alone Balthier is playable which is awesome too. (Though I hated his character I loved archers/snipers in FFT) Tongue
I am not very experienced with SRPGs, but characters with ranged attacks are very good for me.
07-26-2013, 04:39 AM
(07-26-2013 02:17 AM)Squall Wrote:  The resolution of the PSP version is better and Desmume does not support higher resolution unlike PPSSPP. The PSP version does not require cheats to unlock onion class and secret boss.

Well yeah, I was putting aside the resolution thing, but being able to unlock the onion class without further escamotage is interesting.
Regarding other rpgs...mmm...there are quite a few which crosses my mind, Brave Story: New Traveler, nothing really special, but I enjoyed it, I found it to have the classic atmosphere of old school rpgs, plus (if I'm not wrong) it should have a dual audio option between english and japanese voices. Monster Kingdom: Jewel summoner is like a pokemon-clone if you like the genre. The tales of- games are pretty well developed, I enjoy them quite a lot; I know for sure that Tales of the World Radiant Mythology, is playable on PPSSPP, maybe there are some sound issue here and there, but nothing really unbearable (you can watch some gaplay vids to see if it matches your taste).

I could list you many more games, but it is not wise, since at the moment the emu doesn't support all games.

07-26-2013, 04:58 AM
Look here...you can choose a region.
When you find some game that you like,check here if the game work on not.

Those are all of my RPGs
Crimson Gem Saga - work fine(audio problems)
Crisis Core - work fine
Dissidia 012 - work fine
Hexyz Force - work fine
Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep - work fine
Lunar Silver Star Harmony - work fine
Mana Khemia Student Alliance - work fine
Mimana Iyar Chronicle - work fine
Persona 3 - work fine
Phantasy Star 2 - work fine
Radiant Mythology - work fine(audio problems)
Radiant Mythology 3 - randomly crashes and it's Japanese only(the game have English patch for the menus)
Twin Braves - work fine(the game have English patch for the menus)
Unchained Blades - work fine
Ys Seven - work fine

Using PPSSPP on Windows 7 x64 SP1
i7 4771 3.5Ghz,GTX750TI,16GB RAM

Batch iso <=> cso converter
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=5384
Save Game\States Manager
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=5516