Thread Rating:
  • 8 Votes - 4.75 Average
[Discussion] 60FPS patches for PSP games that run at 30FPS
08-28-2014, 08:05 PM
RE: 60FPS patches for PSP games that run at 30FPS
Nobody responded the last time I posted this ( http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?...1#pid62181 ), but even if nobody has looked into WipEout Pure's framerate issues I wouldn't mind knowing where I could start looking into fixing it. Wipeout is unplayable at 30fps, especially Zone mode.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-30-2014, 08:06 PM (This post was last modified: 08-30-2014 08:06 PM by Dekkerlion.)
VIRGIN KLM, any news you got going on, since you were the one who started this thread? Big Grin
09-16-2014, 09:11 PM
Birth By Sleep looks amazing with this 60 fps patch. Run's nearly 60 fps all the time on my Shield Tablet. It's buttery smooth. Have you guys been able to do anything with Parasite Eve Third Birthday?
09-18-2014, 01:35 AM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2015 05:14 PM by VIRGIN KLM.)
(08-30-2014 08:06 PM)Dekkerlion Wrote:  VIRGIN KLM, any news you got going on, since you were the one who started this thread? Big Grin

I haven't had luck with any other games and I am not the ideal person to search stuff on the Debugger. I bet it can be done on more games though.
09-27-2014, 01:45 PM
(08-08-2014 01:12 AM)cybercjt Wrote:  I don't know what's wrong but on the recent builds.. whenever I try to use 60 FPS code on KH BBS (Final Mix) the emulator just crashes O.o anyone get this? or this is just me :/

umm bump on this cuz I still can't use the code and it just crashes the emulator :/

Chill and Go with the flow ~d[o_o]b~

@YT - youtube.com/user/SuperHack333/videos

Specs:
MDL: Dell G7 15 7590 (Laptop)
OPS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU: Intel Core i7-9750h @ 2.60 Ghz ~ 4.50 Ghz
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1660 Ti 6GB GDDR6 @ 1455 Mhz ~ 1590 Mhz
RAM: Micron Tech. 8GB DDR4 @ 2666 Mhz (4x2)
10-23-2014, 03:49 PM
can you patch project diva 2nd and extend to 60fps? in game is 30fps, but during intros, the game runs at 45 at clock speed 333 or below or 60fps at clock speed clocked higher than 333
10-27-2014, 10:21 PM
Just stumbled upon this thread earlier today. It's pretty interesting so far. Thanks for all the stuff you've accomplished so far VIRGIN KLM and everyone else whose posted hacks and info here.

If I have some time free I might have to try giving this a shot myself.

Doubt I'd have much success, but have used Cheat Engine in the past to do a CRC hack for Disgaia 2 to disable the games built-in blurring effect for use with the PCSX2 emulator. The blur looked good on CRT TVs... but not so much on a crisp PC monitor, especially when running the game at higher resolutions.

If you don't mind me asking what all programs do you use when you do these hacks?

I'm hoping to avoid using Cheat Engine again if possible. That program always makes my anti-virus go completely berserk.

I've seen the GE Debugger mentioned in a couple threads around the forums and on github. Would that work?

Also, isn't the GE Debugger included with PPSSPP? And if so... how exactly do I run it? I've messed around in the options a good bit and turned on the Developer Tools but have yet to find and use the debugger, assuming its even included by default.
10-28-2014, 03:16 AM
Om Windows, open the Debug menu and take a look at Disassembly and GE Debugger items in that menu. Any game I've looked for fps limiting in has come from using those tools (mostly Disassembly, I generally go to the top and then search for sceDisplaySetFramebuf or sceDisplayWaitVblank.... then set breakpoints and play around.)

-[Unknown]
10-28-2014, 09:37 AM
(10-28-2014 03:16 AM)[Unknown] Wrote:  Om Windows, open the Debug menu and take a look at Disassembly and GE Debugger items in that menu. Any game I've looked for fps limiting in has come from using those tools (mostly Disassembly, I generally go to the top and then search for sceDisplaySetFramebuf or sceDisplayWaitVblank.... then set breakpoints and play around.)

-[Unknown]

Pardon my idiocy on this but I seem to be completely overlooking this Debug Menu somehow.

I'm using an Orphis Buildbot version of PPSSPP currently. Specifically this one "v0.9.9.1-700-gbc5bec2" and my operating system is Windows 7.

I found and enabled the Developer Tools Menu under system and I see the Dev Menu button in the top left when running a game, but I haven't found where you enable or access the Debug Menu.

Closest things I've seen to debugging is enabling the Debug Statistic Overlay in the Graphics settings list and I found that I can force the debugger to load on PPSSPP startup by editing the .ini file to change ShowDebuggerOnLoad = False to true.

I know I must be overlooking something painfully obvious at this point.
10-28-2014, 01:25 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-jVPMz12aTX8/Un...P+IMG1.png

In this screenshot, at the top, see File, Emulation, Debug, Options, Help? It's the regular Windows menu, not within the UI.

-[Unknown]
10-29-2014, 01:32 AM
(10-28-2014 01:25 PM)[Unknown] Wrote:  http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-jVPMz12aTX8/Un...P+IMG1.png

In this screenshot, at the top, see File, Emulation, Debug, Options, Help? It's the regular Windows menu, not within the UI.

-[Unknown]

Ha ha. Thanks! I knew I was overlooking something minor and stupid.

Whenever I started using the buildbot PPSSPP builds I've always been copying over my settings file from the last build I'd used, all the way back to the last stable release (9.9.1) that I originally started using PPSSPP with. I did it to avoid having to constantly redo my control mapping and settings. Which results in me always having it in fullscreen mode. It never even occured to me to check for a regular Windows header menu in windowed mode.

Now I feel like a dumbass moreso than usual, but at least I'm now a dumbass heading in the right general direction.

Thanks for the reply though! I greatly appreciate it.
11-03-2014, 05:53 AM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2014 09:41 PM by Kolrath.)
To try to learn more about whats going on with the idea of these 60FPS patches / cheats I decided to try messing around with the game Jeane d'Arc since it already has a working 60FPS cheat for it.
(Keep in mind my "skills / knowledge" regarding this kind of stuff is entirely based on dicking around. I have little to no practical knowledge or experience.)

I used this post...
(01-06-2014 01:29 AM)[Unknown] Wrote:  Jeanne d'Arc:

08809250 1020FFF4 beq zero, at, 08809224

Change to:

08809250 00000000 nop

...and this CWCheat code...
Code:
_C1 fps fix
_L 0x20009250 0x00000000

...as my references for checking it out.

The intro video to the game Jeanne d'Arc runs at 60FPS and then at the title screen it shows as running at 40FPS. When I use the cheat it does indeed show as 60FPS during the intro as well as at the title screen.

I fired up Cheat Engine to try messing around with it all myself.

I can search for the memory address by searching for 1020FFF4 (270598132 in decimal). I'm able to find the address holding that value, quite easily actually since there is only one address holding that value, and it is ****9250. (The **** differs due to the whole dynamic memory thing I guess.)

Unfortunately, I'm not quite grasping whats going on when I check things out with Cheat Engine. I can locate the memory address, but if I change it to 0, or even freeze it at 0, it doesn't have any effect on the FPS. Its still 60 at the intro and 40 at the title.
What am I'm not understanding here? Why does the CWCheat work when setting that value to 0, but doing the same in Cheat Engine has no results?

Another thing I'm curious about... is there is a simple way to take a CWCheat address and convert it into a CE address?

I've tried taking the CWCheat address and doing "CWCheat Address + (RAM Memory Address + 0x800000) to hopefuly = CE Address" but that never seems to get me anything useable.
Which confuses me because I've done the opposite to make a CWCheat by taking "CE Address - (RAM Memory Address + 0x800000) to = CWCheat Address".

Anyone able to educate me a bit about these two things?
11-08-2014, 09:41 PM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2014 09:47 PM by Kolrath.)
Still goofing around with Jeanne d'Arc and trying to see why the 60fps works so I can learn from it.

Using PPSSPP Disassembly I can find
Code:
08809250 1020FFF4 beq zero, at, 08809224
as shown by [Unknown].

Looking at the CWCheat that makes the game run in 60fps...
Code:
_C1 fps fix
_L 0x20009250 0x00000000

I can see that all its doing is setting 08809250 to 00000000 and this causes it not to swtich fps limits between the intro video (60 fps) and the title screen menu (40 fps).

When I toggle the CWCheat on it notice an instance change in the fps. The titlte menu changes from 40 to 60 right there.

What I'm not understanding though is that if I use Cheat Engine to change that value to 0 or if I simply use PPSSPP disassembly and change 08809250 to 00000000 to "nop" out that line... it doesn't have any effect. The title menu remains at 40 and the intro remains at 60, even if I let them cycle a few times.

So far as I can tell I'm literally making the same changes the CWCheat does except it doesn't do anything whereas the CWCheat does.

Why does the CWCheat work but when doing the exact same thing using disassembly it doesn't have any effect?

What am I missing here?
11-08-2014, 10:41 PM
When you make something external change only that address, jit doesn't notice. Since it's already compiled that MIPS code to native x86 code, it doesn't bother recompiling it, so the change has no effect.

If you were to, for example, save and then load state, you'd see that it would recompile and probably have effect.

You can also set and then unset a breakpoint at just that location, which will clear only the jit cache for that area.

-[Unknown]
11-13-2014, 06:42 AM
Thanks for the clarification on this [Unknown]!

With what you told me I was indeed able to use the PPSSPP disassembly to alter the fps of Jeanne d'Arc just like the patch does. It was a good learning exercise.

I remembered that Unchained Blades had 60 fps during the intro and 30 fps during gameplay from back when I was messing around with its sprite glitches from the resolution increases so I poked around in that game to see what I could do.

Ran into a situation similar to what was being reported in here about Monster Hunter Freedom Unite though. I could never manage to get the fps to increase at all, but I was able to cause it to be reduced down to 18. The results are similar but I haven't checked out Monster Hunter myself to see if the actual mechanics going on in both games are similar. Figured it would still be worth mentioning incase someone is still messing with Monster Hunter in regards to a 60 fps patch and was looking for another game that also experienced fps being decreased.

Here was the address in Unchained Blades that when NOP'd causes the intro speed to go from 60 fps to ~18 fps.
Code:
0881C75C     beq    s0,zero,pos_0881C79C

I also noticed that address 8A64038 holds a 0 during 30 fps and holds a 1 during 60 fps. I figure it may be being used as a flag of some sort, but I haven't messed around with it too much just yet. I did notice that forcing the value to either 0 or 1 didn't seem to have any effect during a brief test.

Thanks once again for the information. Always good to learn something new and maybe I'll actually do something useful at some point poking around at various games.